"Wanted" Scott 299 C or D in good condition

Piranha

tombjr and anyone else,

I have this 299c with late architecture (like the 299d) that I will sell for $225 plus shipping without the output tubes. This amp sounds great as is but I would recommend shipping it to Craig at NOS Valves for his magic. I rebuilt another amp just like this to Craig's specifications and with his guidance and it is a tremendous improvement.

The amp is in very good cosmetic condition with a few light scratches and the dent in the top left corner seen in the pictures. The lettering is largely intact with the exceptions being around the power switch and the right side of the volume switch............

See second post for more info and picture.

Rick

post-12829-1381925018207_thumb.jpg

I had this amp powered up again last night on my KG-4.5s while working on a TT (SL1200) and it is as quiet as ever. I measured the noise level as previously posted at .2mV and just now again with the same reading. (this is an average it varies from 0 to .4mV on my Fluke) My other 299c with new PS caps and NOS bias mod measures just slightly lower. Again I would rather ship this to Craig for his magic if anyone is interested. I also have a nice 299b I'll be putting up when this one goes. It will be the same price, as this is what I paid for these units.

Rick

post-12829-1381925018269_thumb.jpg

3D,

Good deals your offering there. It sounds to me like the filter caps will be okay in this unit so the cost could be low for a rebuild. Although the safest bet is to do what you did and put new cans all around. I leave this up to the owners to decide. If left in I always offer the replacement at the same cost down the road which could be a year or 30 years who knows !

Craig

Keep in mind that the phono jack is pretty much useless on the 299C or 222C since they have no provisions for shutting your speakers off. The 222D/LK48B and 299D/LK72B have provisions to shut the speakers off also some of the receivers like the 340B have speaker on/off switches.

Craig

3D

No Craig,

The 299c's that I have, with the phone jacks, have speaker switches. From the right side they go: loudness, power, speakers, scratch, rumble,tape and mag input.

That is because your 299C is not really a 299C it is some half breed that escaped the factory there were a few like that. Really it is resistor for risistor caps for cap Identical to a 299D. If someone buys a 299C with the output tubes in front of the output transformers which is how all normal 299C's are it will not have a speaker on/off switch. Go look at the auction aboves close up pictures and find a speaker on/off switch !

Craig

----------------

On 11/18/2003 1:12:40 AM tombjr wrote:

I am looking for a Scott 299 C or D. Preferably a D. If anyone sees one on any sites please let me know.

I forgot to add that it has had the coupling capacitors replaced with auricaps and been checked out in the last 1.5 years 2x with a qualified technician. Other than a bad EH 7591 I have had no problems with this amp using it daily.

----------------