m00n was RIGHT: ....That V-O-I-C-E !! MATRIX:REVOLUTIONS in IMAX

picky

OMG! 6.gif

All I can say is, seeing 'Maxtrix: Revolutions' in the IMAX format (70mm) was incredible! Don't worry, for those of you whom have not yet seen the movie, I am not going to give anything away regarding the plot. But, in reading m00n's thread a week or two ago, (When Matrix Revolutions comes out on DVD it will be bitter sweet) he mentioned a voice that occurs in a portion of the movie that he said he'd never be able to reproduce on his HT system at home. Considering this theater has a 12,000 watt sound system with 8-18 inch subwoofers, 3.gif that voice sounded unlike any voice I have ever heard before! m00n was right: I doubt I'll ever be able to get my RS-7s to do the job those huge monsters hanging up in the rear corners of the Henry Ford IMAX theater did! 15.gif My wife and I walked out of there speechless last night. I will say this about the movie; I liked this 3rd version of the movie better than the first two I think, although the first one was very remarkable. I thought they over-did the special effects in the second and it was not quite as good as the 1st and 3rd, but it was still thrilling to watch. However, this third iteration of the Matrix was just outstanding! If any of you ever get the opportunity to see it, please do so. And, if you get the chance to witness it in IMAX, DO SO!! 16.gif

http://www.hfmgv.com/imax/showtimes.asp

Life will no longer be the same.......time to go look at bigger power amps! ...the wife is going to kill me! 9.gif

-Picky 2.gif

Easy:

I must agree with you and now I understand what the THX people have been saying for years: All channels should have identical speakers and power. Unfortunately for people such as I, budget and room space prevent me from pressing ahead with this philosphy. I sometimes get "seasick" at IMAX theaters, too. However, this particular film provides sufficient relief from the motion between scenes that I did not experience that phenomenon last night, nor did my wife. The sound was not overly-loud either. This was totally pleasant experience. 16.gif

dblue:

I totally agree with you, man! That sounded like the devil himself! 11.gif Thanks!

- Picky 1.gif

I haven't seen this movie, but do you think my RF-3IIs could handle it, or would I need something like RF-7s in the back to? Considering I don't play much over 105 dB one peak explions and so on, it should give it some excursion to spare when needed I would think.

CD

Funny! It was the exact same question I wanted to post. Do you think the side towers could handle it? I don't really understand...is it a very low surround sound effect? What makes people think their speaks can't handle it?

(I haven't watched the movie...not even completely thru the very first one, so don't give anything away please).

Yes, I'm sure some of you lucky people out there do have systems that will handle "THE VOICE". I'm actually being a bit facetious when I say my RS-7's won't handle it. But once you hear this voice, you'll understand what m00n and I are talking about. It is incredible and unlike ANYTHING I've ever heard in a movie before! It was quite thrilling.

Just to clarify a couple of things:

I haven't seen the fim in the regular theater (I plan to), but in the IMAX the voice Mainly comes out of the two rear surrounds (very unsual) and the subs. It is not perceived to come at all from the fronts, at least not at the IMAX. This may differ from the normal theater.

Also, when they do release films for home DVD, the sound is almost always remastered to play in a more percise manner due to the closer quarters, rather than playing in a more general fashion in order to cover most of the seating in a large theater. For example, the newly released 'Lion King' was remastered in that way for home theater. See link: http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=508&page_number=1 I would imagine that the 'Matrix: Revolutions' will be too.

-Picky 2.gif

Am I the only one who didn't find anything remarkable about "the voice"?

It was an impressive bass hit for sure, but nothing about it seemed to strike me as very difficult for a good sub to reproduce. Might have people re-examining thier cross-overs, but otherwise it's just another low sound at high db. Audiable at that, meaning it's probably only about 30hz and no more daunting than the "reverse sweep" you hear in the opening battle of Fellowship ofthe Ring when Sauron falls. I'd rate that ~12hz roar of the Balrog as much more difficult for most systems to handle.

Grand11

I see what your saying, but where I saw it, the surrounds were carrying that same low frequencies also and the entire voice and low frequencies was like coming from everywhere in the theater. Thus, I don't think my home theater will even come close. Also some of that is simply as I stated before, room size....

Grand11:

I truely believe your perception of the noise does totally rely upon where you viewed the film. In my case, the voice wasn't simply high-output, low end. That is something I think we've all heard before. Instead, in addition to the high-ouput, low-end it also contained some extremely powerful mid-range as well and the overall perception I got was that the voice eminated from both of the rear corner surrounds and the subs. The level of energy exerted by the surrounds was quite remarkable and unique to any other effect I have witnessed thus far in a theater. So, perhaps the reason you found the voice to be rather unimpressive, could be a component of the possibility the theater's sound system may not have been up to the task? I don't really know of course. You were there, I wasn't. -Thanks. As I mentioned before, I do plan to view the film in a "normal" theater to do a comparison. I'll let you all know what I discover. I don't know how soon we'll be going as the hoilday season is nearly upon us.

-Picky 2.gif

are you guys talking about the vioce from the big head man form by the sentinials??? I didnt think it was THAT impressive. Either that, or MUVICO sucks ***.

For the DVD release, it better sound better then Reloaded. Reloaded got strained vioce from the characters and overbloated bass from...hell, EVERYTHING. The surround was alright though it could use a lil more oommppphhhh.

siiigggghhhh, i think i watched Godzilla too many times. BEST BASS movie ever!!! now i need to get U571 and Titan AE.

KiNNi C P:

Naturally, I don't expect eveyone to agree. But, yes, without revealing more about the movie to those whom have yet to see it, I was referring to the voice that came from the large head, or "Machine God" to borrow the phrase from m00n. I also mentioned in an earlier reply that the DVD mix for home release will most-likely be tweaked differently. I am anxious to see what that will sound like at home on my system. I do have 'Reloaded' on DVD , but I haven't had time to view it yet. Sorry to hear it's not up to par for you. I'll have to give it a whirl real soon.

I have heard the deep submarine noises on my system at home while watching 'U571'. And although I found them to be remarkably strong, I did not find them to be nearly as impressive (to me) as the voice in 'Matrix: Revolutions' as viewed at the IMAX. I think the reason has to do with the combined mid-range and mid-bass components coming from the rear surrounds and not just from the subs (in 'Revolutions'). The deep sounds in 'U571' were purely sub. But still remarkable. I'll have to rent 'Godzilla' on your recommendation. Thanks.

-Picky 2.gif

----------------

On 11/21/2003 11:32:32 AM KiNNi C P wrote:

now i need to get U571 and Titan AE.

----------------

Titan AE is my all time fav for showing off my theater. Who would have guessed that they would put so much audio work into a cartoon.

Ear:

It sounds as if you are all set for anything that comes your way. Be sure to let us know how that voice sounds after you get the DVD!

m00n:

How about that! A cartoon? I'm going to have to check out 'Titan AE' as I am not familiar with it. To test certain aspects of the system, I like to use the "Christmas Recon" chapter of 'Behind Enemy Lines' and the "Test Drive" chapter of 'Super Speedway' (Mario Andretti) which was originally filmed for IMAX. During the "test drive" portion, you can actually feel the air pressure change in the room as the car circles the track. It's amazing!

-Picky 2.gif