What preamp is good for HT and 2 channel listening?

BigBusa

Hi people, I need your advice on which (used & under $500 hopefully) 5.1 channel preamp to buy. I'll get it from ebay or audiogon or possibly from a member here. I imagine there would be quite a few used 5.1 units availible from people upgrading to 7.1. I do not have the room for 7.1.

I'd like a quality preamp that focuses equally on 2 channel listening. HT and 2 channel are about 50% - 50% in importance to me.

I have been strictly a 2 channel music listener for a few years. I've always wanted to set up a nice 5.1 HT though.

In anticipation of this, 2 years ago I bought new a ks-w15 sub and a klf-c7 center. I have klipschorns for the front speakers and will probably pick up a used pair of hereseys for the rears.

I will use 2 undetermined stereo amps for the front and rear speakers and a mono amp (for the center). The sub has an internal amp.

thanks for any advice.

PS PLEASE POINT ME TO A GOOD DVD ALSO (under $300?). The one I currently use makes high pitched chirping noises when in use. You know the sounds I'm talking about ...when a disc spins a you hear that chirping whirring sound. It's so loud in my dvd played that it is distracting.

I agree with Frzninvt. If you are used to listening to 2 channel driven by tubes it will be tough to find a cheap MC pre of the required quality.

I spent the last couple of weeks playing around with a PAS-3 while my AVM20 was in the shop. These are different ends of the spectrum (by $2k+). After listening to the PAS I have a new appreciation for what the two channel guys are talking about. That little PAS did a slightly better job of throwing out an image than my Anthem but it lacked in dynamics which may have been a gain issue.

I'm tempted to pick up a vintage integrated for two channel and probably keep the Anthem for MC knowing that some day I will have to move to a Krell or better MC pre to be able to handle 2 channel the way it should be. The other option is to get a cheaper MC integrated for movies and build a decent two channel for the same price.

I'd recommend trying out a couple of systems at home to see if they can match your two channel expectations before taking the MC plunge. Or, keep your current two channel and add a MC for movies.

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned my amps are not tube powered. They're all SS. $500 is a figure I threw out there. I could and would go up a few more hundred if the pre/processor is of good quality.

FRZNVT I like both of your recommendations. The denon avp8000dts looks like a winner and appears to sell for about $700 on ebay.

I would look at the Sunfire Grand II is you can afford it. I have been reading the review on the Sunfire Grand III and the EAD Beastmaster. They are the latest models and speak of excellent stereo capability.

If anybody has knowledge of these pre's please speak up.

Bigbusa, I currently have much of the same setup you mentioned in my HT.

That is all separates, klipsch speakers, but am using an Yamaha RXV-992 receiver as the processor right now.

You might consider just going for thr best HT

pre you can afford now and see how it works for 2CH. If you're not satisfied then start saving your pennies and get a good 2CH preamp with an HT bypass and have the best of both worlds. Just an idea I threw out there, I know all these bright ideas begin to add up.

For $648 SHIPPED, you can get a brand new Denon 3803 from 6th Ave., an authorized dealer which would thus include full warranty.

As a pre/pro, especially on movies, you would be hard pressed to top this for the money. It should also do well as a 2 channel pre, with it's pure direct mode and Alpha 24 processing. If you find it's 2 channel lacking, get a good used 2 channel pre, such as an old Adcom or NAD.

If you are picky then the denon receivers will not cut it for 2 channel. There pre are pretty loud. I have a denon 4802 and it is loud when connected to outboard amps. I have been looking for a good quite pre/pro but it cost a lot for what I want. I figured a new tv would be better for right now. Good luck and let use know what you get.

I have tried to use my high priced Lexicon HT processor for 2CH listening and it is shallow and lifeless sounding compared to my McIntosh preamp. That is why I have both set up in my system. The Lexicon for movies and the McIntosh for 2CH.

I would bet that what ever you find will be a compromise. Depends on what you are willing to live with.

JM

A great choice is the new OutlawAudio.com 950 HT preamp for $799. It is very musical as well as being a great HT preamp. As a bonus it also includes a decent am-fm tuner. The unit has just received one of the Stereophile's Guide to the Home Theater Editor's Choice Awards for 2004. Reviews on it are outstanding.