Cary SLP-98 pics

Deang

Tomorrow, the Cary, along with the Canary make the trip to Paul Parrot's for a go around on his Klipschorns. I've been looking forward to this for some time. It should be interesting. I will be talking to Craig in the morning before we leave, and I'm going to have Craig bring his watt meters along with everything else he is bringing. I will be taking plenty of notes, and there will be a detailed thread forthcoming that hopefully will have some good information.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=29059&

post-3205-1381925045319_thumb.jpg

Tony Dong oriented the tubes that way so I wouldn't have to worry about my 11 month year old son burning up his precious little hands on them. I take him upstairs with me and he can crawl and wobble around to the music without me stressing out too bad. Temple still dances in front of the system, and right now safety is a big concern of mine. At least he made the faceplate nice -- it's a fine looking piece.

Can you bring your watt meters? I want to hear what 3 watts or so sounds like on Klipschorns.

Dean,

Very nice SLP98L. Are you considering adding the phono section? What would you consider the difference between it and the SLP90(94)L? I have been tempted a few times to pull the trigger on a 98 but felt I may miss the tube rectification, but I'm sure NOS 6SN7s may help in that regard.

Klipsch out.

I think your upgraded 90/94 is warmer and definitely easier on the ears when pushing the volume. However, I don't know if it's because of the tube rectification or the 12AU7's. I'm inclined to put the majority of the difference on the signal tubes. I think what you have is probably a better match with the Klipschorns. The RF7's OTOH seem to benefit from the bit of additional brightness the 98 provides. I say "brighness" instead of "clarity" because I certainly don't think the 94 was lacking in that regard.

I may end up going to some vinyl someday, but I don't feel any sense of urgency about it. However, I get to hear good vinyl tomorrow, and well, you know me -- anything can happen. :)

Neo, at one point in my life I had close to 400 albums and a turntable/MC setup that I had about $1500 into. This was 15 years ago -- and I don't know what it would translate into in year 2004 dollars. Suffice it to say -- it sounded very good. I was one of the idiots that bought into the digital is bliss promise. Of course, back then -- it fell way short. Present day digital is much better, and I can't really find fault with it using my material, and though the presentation compared to vinyl is different -- I believe it's very listenable. I may feel this way because I primarily buy SACD, 20 bit or more reissued Redbook, and newer recordings.

I have never heard the AE-1. I have no idea how it compares.