Has anyone listened to the RC-3II and the RC-35 side by side?

Pistol Pete

I had just the opposite experience. I originally purchased both centers (RC3II and RC35) and to my ear, both of them voice matched my RF3IIs. I ended up keeping the RC35 because I found that it was slightly smoother than the RC3II at very, very high volumes (when playing music in 6.1). At lower volumes and with movies, not much difference between the two. Maybe a tish more bass for dialogue with the RC35 because of the front ports.

All in all, the two speakers are pretty close. You would expect that since Klipsch calls the RC35 a "refined version" of the RC3II.

Downstairs

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RC35

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD (incredible!)

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

Mains, Center: Onkyo SKS-HT500

Surrounds: Axiom QS-8

HSU VTF-2

cjgeraci, thanks for the reply...all I know is the RC-35 seems to have a deeper quality it ads to voices while the RF-3IIs seem to sound lighter and almost clearer to my ears. I am not saying the RF-3IIs sound better for voices but just different...both are enjoyable.

Just how close did you examine the RC-3II vs the RC-35? Perhaps Klipsch gave these center channels a certain sound on purpopse. Does the RC-3II sound a huskyer for voices than the RC-35s as well?

I would sure feel foolish if I sold my RC-35 and then regreted it later on when I got an RC-3II to find that they sound the same but the latter does not sound as clean up high.

I would have to say get both and listen. I also have had both in the same room on the same system. I have RF3II's and I realy like the RC3 better. The 35 seemed a much sharper, which I don't like. The 35 did play noticably lower then the 3. I just felt that the 3 was the best match for the 3II's. If you can't get one then the 35 will do and is a much better match than the rest of your choices. It is a personal think, you realy need to listen to them on your system in your room to realy now.

Pistol Pete:

I smiled to myself reading this thread because our significant others do not quite understand our fascination with getting things "just right" with our "toys." I demoed a RC3II and a RC35 for about a week on the same system before making a decision so by no means am I any kind of "expert" with respect to both centers. I have, however, listened to RC3IIs and RC35s on other systems, and to my ears, the primary difference is in the "huskier sound" of the RC35 (due to the front ports),primarily for dialogue.

All of that being said, easylistener is right. The only way to tell for yourself is to order a RC3II and then listen to both centers with your system (if this is possible). The sound of speakers is one of the most subjective enjoyments in this world, and where the RC3IIs sounded "sharper" to easylistener, I had the opposite experience, with the RC3II sounding slightly sharper than the RC35, but only at high volumes. To me, other than the bass difference, they both tonally matched.

One question to also ask yourself is how many hours do you have on your RC35? Some believe in break-in periods for certain speakers; others do not. To me, the sound of my RC35 smoothed out even more after I put considerable hours on the speaker, and I am one that falls into the "break-in" camp. The sound of my RC35 has evolved somewhat over time. It still has the great horn sound, but now there is no hint of any harshness, even at higher, higher volumes and even with the treble setting at neutral. So prior to making a decision, you may want to wait a little while longer if you do not have that many hours on your RC35.

Just some thoughts.

---------------------

Downstairs

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Mains: RF3II

Center: RC35

Surrounds: RS35

Rear: KLF-C7

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD (incredible!)

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

HSU VTF-2

I recently completed my 6.1 setup by adding an RC-35 to my system. (I was unable to quickly find an RC-3II). I ended up using the RC-3II as the surround back (rear center),and the RC-35 as the center. I have experimented with the 3 back up front,and the 35 in the rear, but I really have a hard time telling a major difference. So for now, I will keep the 3II back and the 35 front.

cjgeraci thanks alot that info is helpful, I would really rather not have to spend the money on an RC-3II if it is not what I expect it to be.

Here is what I did to compare the RC-35 against the RF-3IIs. I ran some heavy dialogue material , Fight Club is perfect for this as Edward Norton does alot of talking.

I hooked up only one left main RF-3II and the RC-35 then I switched from DD to Stereo on my reciever remote, this would switch between both speakers pretty quickly so I could compare the sounds.

IMO the RC-35 is quite different sounding than the RF-3II.

I guess I expect the RC-3II to sound the same as the RF-3IIs , is this not so?

Can you give a brief description of the RC-3II to me based on the knowledge that I have an RC-35 and RF-3IIs in my possession. Specifically how the dialogue in womens and mens voices sound.

Also I should add that to me the RC-35 and RF-3IIs do women's voices more closely and mens voices are quite abit different.

I have a feeling that I would be expecting too much for the RC-3II to sound like the RF-3IIs.

If anyone in the Western Washington area has an RC3II to bring over to my place for an audition I would be glad to suppy some beer and snacks. 9.gif

I should also add that my Yamaha RX-V3300 has a center channel EQ that is for matching your center more closely to your mains...I have experimented with this and I can get the RC-35 to match women's voices identically to the RF-3IIs but mens voices are still different.

The closer your front 3 speakers sound the smoother left to right and right to left panning will sound..(or as I have read anyways..the panning does sound smooth with the RC-35s and RF-3IIs but who knows ..perhaps something magical happens when the front three are the exact same.)

Ideally I should have another RF-3II as a center but this is not possible.

To be totally honest the more I critically compare the RC-35 to the RF-3IIs the more different they sound. I almost wish I had not done any extensive testing but now its too late, I am in a perfection rut that will never end. 3.gif2.gif

I would be careful with the test you used for comparison between the RF and the RS. I am sure you thought of this, but if your mains are set to large and your center to small, there will be quite a difference in the sound. Adding those base tones, even though it is mostly dialog, can make the mains sound different from the center.

I have also done this test, except I wanted to know how I would like to listen to the TV signal. Even though the RB 35 and the RC 35 sounded different with dialog, I assumed it was the added base tones to the RB 35. I set them to small and they sounded very close. Also, remember imaging of the sound has a small part in this test. Moving your head side to side from the listening position can have an effect on the dialog sound if in stereo mode.

Well, I have had the chance to own RF-3IIs with RC-3II and later moved to 3 RF-7s. I notice a smoother transistion from side to side useing the same room and same basic placment as RF-7s are a bit more sensitive on placement. Just for those who care to know.

CD

I think I will go ahead and buy an RC-3II and keep the RC-35 as well , then I will put whichever I like the least to the rear center since my receiver is 6.1 anyways.

RF-3IIs Mains

RC-3II center

RB-25 Surrounds

RC-35 center

I think it should work out good either way, thanks for the replys everyone.

I think that is an excellent idea. It is not as important to have an ideal match with your rear center as with your front three. I have been using my KLF-C7 as a rear center and even though the speaker does not voice match the reference series, you cannot really tell the difference due to the limited applications of the rear center.

------------------------

Downstairs

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RC35

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

HSU VTF-2

Guys I finally got my RC-3II...I paid abit too much for it considering the Good Guys had them for $175 over the Thanksgiving weekend...however because of this Ebay is flooded with them so they can be had for $210-$230.

Wow, IMO Klipsch downgraded when making the RC-35, I really prefer the sound of the RC-3II.. these two centers sound alot different. Unlike the RC-35 , the RC-3IIs match very well to my RF-3IIs.

I wish I had gotten and RC-3II to begin with now because I will take a good loss selling my RC-35.

IMO the RC-35 colors the sound, I tried to like it but every time I compared dialogue coming from it compared to my RF-3IIs the coloring became obvious. The RC-3II does not color voice tones at all, its completely natural sounding like the RF-3IIs.

I could live with the RC-35 if I had RF-35 mains but I am glad I dont have to.

My prior research that led me to buy the RC-35 made me believe that the RC-35 and RC-3II sound somewhat similar. IMO the difference between these 2 center channels is night and day.

I would go with the ported one if you have ported front speakers. I have the matched sf-2 mains with the center that goes with it and i can hear a difference in it because the center isn't ported. The tweeter may be matched but the majority of sound is midrange in my opionion and that isn't seemless to me. It seems clear definetly, but thinner of a sound because of the center being sealed. It's not a perfect match plain and simple they should of ported my center. It still rocks though

Well I can tell you that the ported RC-35 sounds WAY differnet than the sealed RC-3II center and the RC-3II matches perfectly with the RF-3IIs while the RC-35 is VERY different sounding.

If anyone with RF-3IIs is picky about their front 3 channels matching sonically and likes the RF-3IIs sound then I highly reccommend the RC-3II center and not the RC-35.

After spending more than a month with the RC-35 I learned to dislike it, it sounded less and less like my RF-3IIs and in the end I quit using it. I tested and tested and tested and could not get anything satisfying out of it.

I have had my RC-3II for about 3 days now and I have run all sorts of material thru it and I love it, it has exceeded my expectations by quite abit since I have read alot of negative feedback on it.

I am happy now. :D

Pistol

I am glad you like it. Now you see what I was saying. I am always wondering if people are not as picky as me or if they didn't have both of them home to listen to them, they are realy differnt. I also didn't like the rc35 with the 3's. The rc3 was a much better match. Infact my father had the rf35's and I don't think the the rc35 was a perfect match for them. I wouldn't be suprised if they changed on of them next year. I bet you are glad you went out a got one to try.