Center channel speaker choice

Dave R.

You really do not want a RC-3II or a RC-35. What you really need is a KLF-C7; it was made to match your KLF speakers. Anything else won't sonically match and therefore will take away from your HT experience. If you are patient you should be able to find a used C7 on eBay or maybe even locally.

Dougdrake, you are correct. I own a KLF-C7, and it is virtually the same size as the RC7 (ok . . . 4 lbs. lighter, 1 inch longer, and 1 inch less in width). Whoa Nelly, it is big and heavy. However, it is the supposed match for your mains. Perhaps you could place it under your TV or entertainment center somehow?

As for the other centers, I found the RC35 slightly smoother than the RC3II at very, very high volumes (when playing music in 6.1). At lower volumes and with movies, not much difference between the two. Maybe a tish more bass for dialogue with the RC35 because of the front ports. You would expect both centers to be fairly close in sound since Klipsch calls the RC35 a "refined version" of the RC3II. I am very pleased with my RC35. A great Klipsch center for those who desire a smaller speaker in both size and weight (compared to the monoliths).

You could always purchase a RC3II or a RC35 and return it immediately if the difference with your mains was too glaring.

Downstairs<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RC35

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD (incredible!)

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

Mains, Center: Onkyo SKS-HT500

Surrounds: Axiom QS-8

HSU VTF-2

I agree that a RC35 would probably not be a good sonic match for KLF-20s but Dave R. indicated size constraints with respect to a center in a HT setup and he wanted input on the other two centers mentioned. Any KLF-10 to 30 owners out there who have viable, smaller alternatives for a center speaker? Is something custom the only realistic option?

Go Rams.........

Downstairs<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

HSU VTF-2

Dave R.:

You might also want to search the archives with "KLF-C7." Under the Trouble Shooting section, there is an interesting thread starting by Jaq, with last posting of 5/25/02. Also, look for a thread entitled "KLF-C7 v. RC-3" in the Home Theater section, last posting of 1/4/02. Unfortunately, there have not been any easy answers to your question. I have also seen threads in this forum and some other forums claiming that some KLF-C7s do not perfectly voice match their intended mains during certain applications, such as listening to movies. That being said, you are still probably best off going with a KLF-C7, if you can swing the size.

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

HSU VTF-2