Scott 299B vs Cayin TA-30

texas42

----------------

On 12/23/2003 9:45:26 AM sheltie dave wrote:

If you are really concerned about electrical safety and have a morbid fear of voltage after tying up this forum for the last week, you might consider a passive electrical amplifier stereo system, like a windup Victrola. It still has horn speakers
9.gif

----------------

Ive got one, a big brass horned gramaphone. It sounds great if i may add1.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig walked me through biasing in about 10 minutes over the phone. I'm a tube idiot BTW. It's easy and it's the only thing I've had to do. It sounded great before and even better after. I waited about a month before biasing. I wouldn't recommend that however. If that's your only concern, don't let it stop you from buying tube equipment.

Some tube amps are self biasing, like Macs. That's another but much more expensive option and chances are it won't even sound as good as the less expensive scotts or fishers.

We will be very dissappointed in your decision making capabilities if you scrap tubes due to that small factor.

Georg, while I personally dont believe that there is anything to be worried about in biasing an amp, if it means the difference in your getting a tube amp or not, I would definitely consider the other option; get an amp that does not require biasing or an auto biasing amp.

There are MANY MANY to choose from both vintage and modern. And while some may argue the sonic merit of fixed bias vs autio bias, there are quite a few excellent sounding autobias amps. The only thing you would have to be concerned with is changing tubes.

I did teach my old girlfriend and a 58 yr old female English teacher (who admittedly had the mechanical inclination of a Rock Cornish Game Hen) to bias their amps (Jolida 302) and both actually enjoy the process now. So do a number of others I have helped in getting a system set up.

On the other hand, you just might be one that doesnt feel like messing with anything, although your old record player surely doesnt count in this catergory.

Dont write of tube amplification yet. There are a TON of options, many, many not even discussed that much within this forum. There are more tube amps to choose from now than in the last 30 years, actually. And the autobias feature is found all over - it just might be what you want. I am beginning to think you would best be suited with a modern amp judging by some of your comments.

kh

It's not cost effective. They figure 95% of the people that buy HTR won't or don't own a TT. There are exceptions. My Yamaha has a nice sounding phono section.

As far as the Cayin goes, for an extra $79, Paul will put a bias mod on so that makes it alot easier to bias and you can use a wider range of tubes such as the KT88. 3.gif

----------------

On 12/23/2003 12:42:59 PM Johnny dB wrote:

It's not cost effective. They figure 95% of the people that buy HTR won't or don't own a TT. There are exceptions. My Yamaha has a nice sounding phono section.

As far as the Cayin goes, for an extra $79, Paul will put a bias mod on so that makes it alot easier to bias and you can use a wider range of tubes such as the KT88.
3.gif

----------------

Ok cool, so the KT88 is a real nice tube i presume? Does it bring forth the soundstage that i desire?

As far as the Cayin goes, for an extra $79, Paul will put a bias mod on so that makes it alot easier to bias and you can use a wider range of tubes such as the KT88. 3.gif

I would be very careful with that if I was you it may work but......If the PS is not absolutely designed to handle the load of a KT88 ulgy things can happen. The amp comes with EL34's and most likely designed with them in mind. Its much safer to have a amp that is designed to run KT88's and try EL34's then the reverse. A KT88 needs much mopre current to sounds its best ! Not to mention the strin on the PS !

Craig

Another good thing about individually adjustable bias: You don't have to be as fussy with having a pair of perfectly matched tubes. That makes it a lot easier and less expensive to roll tubes than having to purchase everything in matched quads and hoping that they stay matched over their lifetime. My $.02

Rick

Well, I can add that the 5-10 minutes twice a year to bias my Cayin is a verrrrrrrry minor inconvenience relative to the sound it offers. Paul B. added the external biasing nodes on mine as well as a variable feedback control that allows you to tailor the sound to your tastes. Very nice indeed; listening to it now...

Dave

----------------

On 12/23/2003 1:47:15 PM texas42 wrote:

Well, I can add that the 5-10 minutes twice a year to bias my Cayin is a verrrrrrrry minor inconvenience relative to the sound it offers. Paul B. added the external biasing nodes on mine as well as a variable feedback control that allows you to tailor the sound to your tastes. Very nice indeed; listening to it now...

Dave

----------------

So you did get the focus control. Does it seem to make a huge difference. Did you get the Auricaps, as well?

----------------

On 12/23/2003 1:53:55 PM Johnny dB wrote:

----------------

On 12/23/2003 1:47:15 PM texas42 wrote:

Dave

----------------

So you did get the focus control. Does it seem to make a huge difference. Did you get the Auricaps, as well?

----------------

Not sure about 'huge' difference as I've never listened to it without it (bought it new with the option). I can say though you can get a dramatic effect depending on wher you have it set. The 'normal' setting would be 12 o'clock. I generally keep it set at about 1230 or 1 o'clock. Seems to work best in my listening room.

Regards,

Dave