Great sub bargain...at CompUSA?

fabulousfrankie

At the most unlikely of places I found a great deal on a subwoofer at CompUSA. Believe it or not they are selling Hsu Research subwoofers, as if that wasn't shocking enough they have it $50 cheaper than Hsu's factory direct price, this makes it $350(CompUSA is also offering free shipping on all orders over $150). This is a new subwoofer from Hsu and it is suppossed to be essentially the same as the popular VTF-2 in it's maximum extension mode(tuned to 25hz). If I was looking for a sub in this price range it would be a no brainer. To give you an idea of the STF-2's performance, you can reference the Nousaine list for the VTF-2 since those numbers were taken in the max extension mode. If the numbers are even remotely close like Hsu says they should be it makes for a great price/performance ratio.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?sid=3FCD278050B8E17F&product_code=305934&pfp=BROWSE

If you examine the shake value ratings versus the price in the excellent article http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html (Subwoofers Under the Christmas Tree - December, 2001 by Brian Weatherhead), you quickly see that, as the Stones rock classic says, you cant always get what you want.

Weatherheads shake value shows how much subwoofer output you get at 20Hz. Twenty Hertz is the bottom of the human audible, but not sensory, frequency range, at loud sound pressure levels. His shake values start at the 70dB level at 20Hz. Each additional 10dB (doubling of SPL) of output at 20Hz is another shake value point.

The lowly KSW-15 sub is a modest 1.7 shake points. The mighty Klipsch RSW-15 is 2.4, the grand daddy Velodyne HGS-18 is 3.1, while the SVS CS-Ultra tubes are incredible 3.9 shake points. The $28,000 Krell Master Reference subwoofer delivers an amazing 120dB at 20Hz, so its shake value is a fantastic 6 points.

Therefore, the price performance ratio for the lowly KSW-15 sub is a bargain $440 for each shake point. You get a lot of output, at 20Hz - though most of its output is higher, 60Hz - for relatively less money than any other sub in this comparison. The SVS CS-Ultra tubes are the next best price/performers, at $588 per point of performance. A glance at the frequency response chart shows that you get more low bass output from these models than any other sub compared here. The mighty Klipsch RSW-15 is third: $750 for their price/shake value ratio. Their chart shows that you get more punchy mid-bass than the others. While grand daddy Velodyne HGS-18 is $866 for each 10dB of output at 20Hz, it is cheap compared to the Krell. The Velodyne chart shows it is a very good across-the-board performer.

At 20Hz, IF the Hsu SFT-2 is really capable of 93dB, this corresponds to Brian Weatherheads shake value of 3.3. Dividing the Hsu STF-2 price by this shake value gives you a wonderful price/performance ratio of 106 which would be incredibly fantastic, compared to the other subs reviewed in the article. Therefore, I doubt the lowly STF-2 is much like the mighty VTF-2.

7.gif

Frankie, you are correct. The deal at Comp USA is a tremendous bargain for those looking for a sub in that price range. I believe the main differences between the VTF-2 and the STF-2 are essentially two-fold performance-wise. The VTF-2 uses a more traditional vented Class A/B amp rated at 150 watts while the new STF-2 uses a BASH amp, which some describe as a hybrid between a Class A/B and digital amp. The other performance difference is that the VTF-2 is switchable between 25 and 32HZ (32HZ for mainly music), whereas the standard setting for the STF-2 is 25HZ only. The performance of the two models should not be that far off since SVS has used BASH amps with some success! 1.gif

However, I am not sure how long the discounted price will last. There was thread started in the HSU forum the beginning of this week commenting on the discounted Comp USA price, which resulted in a number of upset HSU owners who recently purchased their subs directly from HSU. The latest posting today from a HSU representative indicates that Comp USA is not supposed to be selling the model for a "discount" below HSU's direct price, and HSU has vowed to remedy the situation.

--------------------------

Downstairs

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RC35

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD (incredible!)

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

Mains, Center: Onkyo SKS-HT500

Surrounds: Axiom QS-8

HSU VTF-2

----------------

On 12/3/2003 5:30:58 PM Colin wrote:

At 20Hz, IF the Hsu SFT-2 is really capable of 93dB, this corresponds to Brian Weatherhead’s shake value of 3.3. Dividing the Hsu STF-2 price by this shake value gives you a wonderful price/performance ratio of 106 – which would be incredibly fantastic, compared to the other subs reviewed in the article. Therefore, I doubt the lowly STF-2 is much like the mighty VTF-2.

7.gif

----------------

I think the info that the two will perform very similarly came straight from Sasha(employee of Hsu).

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/3/2003 4:36:54 PM fabulousfrankie wrote:

At the most unlikely of places I found a great deal on a subwoofer at CompUSA. Believe it or not they are selling Hsu Research subwoofers, as if that wasn't shocking enough they have it $50 cheaper than Hsu's factory direct price, this makes it $350(CompUSA is also offering free shipping on all orders over $150). This is a new subwoofer from Hsu and it is suppossed to be essentially the same as the popular VTF-2 in it's maximum extension mode(tuned to 25hz). If I was looking for a sub in this price range it would be a no brainer. To give you an idea of the STF-2's performance, you can reference the
for the VTF-2 since those numbers were taken in the max extension mode. If the numbers are even remotely close like Hsu says they should be it makes for a great price/performance ratio.

----------------

Frankie,

I just went on the comp usa website and they are showing the sub being SOLD OUT

6.gif HSU must have put the kabash on the great deal!

Smilin

On 12/4/2003 11:44:04 AM fabulousfrankie wrote:

"I think the info that the two will perform very similarly came straight from Sasha(employee of Hsu)."

----------------------------

Yeah, basically. And from some HSU owners who have not yet heard the STF-2.

-----------------------------

Downstairs

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD 10.gif

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

HSU VTF-2

On 12/4/2003 12:02:12 PM pinipig523 wrote:

" ....i should forget about getting the svs 25-31pci (tuned to 22hz)?"

---------------

In my opinion, I would still get the 25-31pci (tuned to 22hz) if a cylinder fits your decor ....

----------------

Downstairs

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD 9.gif

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

HSU VTF-2

I agree that the performance of this new sub could be still an open question. There are some aethestic differences between the two Hsu subs, and ironically, the STF-2 looks a bit like a smaller version of the SVS PB1-ISD. The port configurations are also probably different between the two. I am also not sure if both Hsu subs use exactly the same 10-inch driver or not.

The bottom line is that the VTF-2 is tried and true, and its output capabilities for a sub of that size and driver are fairly well-documented. There are also enough VTF-2 owners out there, like myself, that can personally vouch that it is a fine sub.

We will just have to wait until we get some feedback from new STF-2 owners or from others who have demoed the sub.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/4/2003 4:00:06 PM dougdrake wrote:

"The latest posting today from a HSU representative indicates that Comp USA is not supposed to be selling the model for a "discount" below HSU's direct price, and HSU has vowed to remedy the situation."

Whatever happened to free enterprise? Sounds a lot like Blose.
7.gif
----------------

And they are OUT OF STOCK and not taking orders at that price, so wathcha guys still talkin about this for?

You can try store pick up, nothing was in stock at local stores using my zip though. I know of an HTF member that recently picked one up at his local CompUSA so some do have them.

----------------

On 12/4/2003 12:02:12 PM pinipig523 wrote:

frankie,

are we saying that the stf-2 will be able to pound 25hz with authority? do u think that this sub is a worthy performer and i should forget about getting the svs 25-31pci (tuned to 22hz)?

----------------

If it does what Hsu claims(and they're usually honest about their claims) it should be able to do 25hz with good authority. Both subs are designed for a flat response but the SVS will still be capable of more clean output. It should come as no surprise though...more internal volume, high excursion 12"(vs the 10" in the VTF2 and STF2), bigger ports, and more power.

Wabbit,

You work at CompuUSSR and you hid the sub from Dr HSU! 6.gif And its cost is $180! 6.gif6.gif Holy crap,HSU stil makes BIG $$$ on it even at their so called FACTORY DIRECT PRICE(a better way to say...WE MAKE EVEN MORE MONEY THAT WAY).

I know very well SVS and HSU make BIG $$$ in each sub as materials cost very little,beside a few high end TC Sounds woofers SVS uses,all woofers used by HSU cost them below $100.The cabinets are in the $20-50,max(the rosewood cabinet maybe goes for $150...MAX,TOPS).They make a good buck

But hey why not,its a business and they are in business to make the most money they can.

I saw this sub for $350 at my local CompUSSR today. Don't know if it was in stock or not.

Oh and Ears, while SVS and HSU may be marked up a bit don't forget they still give the best performance for the money and the B&M subs can't touch them. Just try to see the markup on Definitive or B&W subs while trying to keep a straight face 2.gif

I was not aware that CompUSA sold HSU until Sunday. I have heard only good about them so I decided to take a listen.

For the price this seems to be a good sub but I was not impressed as I expected after all that I have read. I am giving the benefit of the doubt that the store surroundings contributed to less than stellar performance. It did play loud but sounded very similar to the Velodynes at CC, no better. Loud is not always better if the sound is hollow.

Definitive may have high profit margins but there is no way that the HSU outperforms the Super Cube 1. After comparing the SC to the HSU I could not keep a straight face because I am happier with the SC 1.

Does Panasonic own HSU?