Hey Allen Songer!

bkrop

Thanks Kelly, I knew you could come through for me. I will probably have to get more info from you on the DVD audio purchase from Amazon. I tried there site already and did not find it like you did.

Patricia Barber will be my next purchase, maybe today if I get the chance.

I forgot to cancel my monthly "selection of the month" from Coloumbia House last week and received a three disc Live Classic Rock cd. It had a group called "Tower of Power". They have a song called "Too Hip" or something with the words hip. If you Allan and Craig could get this recording I know you would like it. Craig, it has more snap, has instruments other than guitar and drums and really sounded great.

Thanks guys.

Thanks again Kelly for the help, you have no idea how helpful you are to many of us on this forum with your wealth of opinions, breadth of knowledge, and endless ability to provide detailed pictures and web addresses to us internet challenged members. I say this seriously, I appreciate you time and effort. You did not have to go to the trouble but you do and for that I thank you. I hope you stay with the forum becasue to me you are an asset.

On a less friendly note like Max said; Kelly, if I bite the big one and buy a properly built set amp it had BETTER produce some notable difference in sound that I can discern.

9.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T.O.P. is a fantastic band. More funk than Jazz, to me (but what does that matter). Rocco Prestia is one of the most influential electric bass players ever. They always have a rock-solid rhythm section.

The track in question is "What is Hip"

"Squib Cakes" is another great tune, which should be on that live disc.

The addition of Lenny Williams as the bands lead vocalist on their 1973 self titled LP was instrumental in rasing the groups recognition to an whole new level. Three well know hits resulted from this album - What Is Hip, So Very Hard To Go, and This Time It's Real.

Wow, this brings back memories as I bought that LP when I was stationed in Germany.

tillmbil, thanks for the comments. I like seeing people get excited by new things that have quality whether it be music or gear. I decided this year to try to make it a point to put some samples up for people to at least try out hoping to bring some new material into the fold. It hasnt worked too well with the indie stuff which is understandable as a lot of it is on the edge. On the other hand, the jazz has received really good feedback. As for the gear side, that's alway fun to do and since I have practically an entire hard drive dedicated to audio related matters, I dont mind throwing up images or even making images as the subject presents itself. It sure helps to SEE as well as read when referring to something.

As for your DVD, you might consider getting a copy of your tape made to DVD, especially if you like that version. The DVD of the musical side is so pricey, I would only consider it for a deal. And $100 is surely not the best.

See Main Link below. Just type in "Les Miserables" in the SEARCH and all will come up.

Amazon.com

As for the SET issue, I do not recommend SET amplifiers unless that are GOOD quality AND you have the right conditions surrounding them, namely: high efficiency/easy load speakers - managable room size - VERY good sources and preamp (extremely important), not out for live level playback of full scale music which will put SET amps more out of their strengths than in.

In the proper setup, you will be rewarded with a clarity and detail that can sometimes sounds startlingly real with little electronic artifacts. Downside is PAIN IN THE A** setup and critical aspect of system synergy. Good recordings are rewarded here like no other.

That being said, SET amplifiers are the LEAST flexible of the topologies. And all SET amps are not created equal by any means. Lastly, if your musical tastes fall into the realm of needing much volume to please with less quiet passages between the loud, I dont think it's as rewarding a medium. Still, with vocals I have yet to hear anything be as spooky real. Then again, a good tube amp of any variety does much better here than solid state.

kh

Craig, I have a ton of stuff you might like, but almost EVERYTHING is on vinyl. Let me see if I can find a CD of at least something upbeat to burn an mp3.

OK.

This might not be your cup of tea as it's Johnny Griffin on tenor sax just about burning a hole in the tape with this solo. This guy is fast and complex with some serious moves. You dont hear him mentioned that often but he was one of the few that were fast while keeping the music as the goal.

This was done in 1956 and has some great side men. Max Roach is on the drums, one of the best ever. Wynton Kelly is on piano, another great. Curly Russell rounds it off on bass.

There is no mistaking who is at front here; this is 3:55 of Johnny Griffin blowing the hell out of his tenor sax! Note: transfer is a BIT Bright!

Johnny Griffin - Mil Dew.mp3

kh

Ben,

I even like the stuff above that Kelly put up. But I know there has to be more gear challenging up temp music then this. Anything that makes you tap your toes is just fine. I really like all kinds of music. Heck I even enjoy some country now and then.

Kelly,

I have literally downloaded every track you have ever put up that I have seen and enjoy it all! Well except for Guv'ner 3.gif . I also downloaded a good portion of the recommendations most of you have listed. Although the quality of random MP3's from napster and the like is dismal yours are not too bad. Still wanting your favorites on CD buddy! Trust me your effort do not go unnoticed or appreciated.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Introducing Johnny Griffin - Blue Note - 1956

introgrif.jpg

See description in post above - MP3 below (a bit bright but kicking):

This SOLO is FULL FORCE. Tenor sax with great breaks by Max Roach, Wynton Kelly, and ole Curly Russell on bass:

Johnny Griffin - Mil Dew.mp3

ps - Lord, I just listened to this FOUR times in a row on my office system, featuring an EL-34 PP in UL mode to monitors all at top volume. I'm movin' now!

Oh yea Kelly now your talking my style. Please give me recommendation and where stuff like this is available on CD or LP brand new!! This is my kind of stuff!! Very good I'm excited. That is some serious Horn blowing, Drum beating, Bass strumming music!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Craig

OK Craig. Here are some to look for. Maybe Kelly has them on CD and can put up a sample or two:

Sonny Stitt and Gene Ammons "Boss Tenors in Orbit" Verve

Johnny Griffin "A Blowin' Session" (w/Coltrane & Mobley) Blue Note

Hank Mobley "Soul Station" Blue Note

Teddy Edwards "Teddy's Ready" Contemporary

Red Garland "Soul Junction" (w. Coltrane) Prestige

AND!

BABY FACE WILLETTE!!! "Face to Face" Blue Note

I think Craig will LOVE B-3 Soul Jazz!!!

----------------

On 12/5/2003 10:06:12 AM mobile homeless wrote:

I already posted these in another thread, but perhaps you didnt catch it. Here are several very minimalist guitar and vocal mp3 from Ella Fitzgerald and Joe PAss. The sound is excellent and the performance very good. These take are VERY intimate. The below are from the excellent sounding K2 20bit CD:

"Ella Fitzgerald/Joe Pass - Take Love Easy".

kh

----------------

I bought this based on Kelly's suggestion about a month ago. Very well recorded and full of life.

Good stuff, thanks Kelly.

forrest

oh.. check out the thread "Thanks John Albright". I've saved those recommendations as a 'to get' list.

----------------

On 12/5/2003 3:40:10 PM Allan Songer wrote:

BABY FACE WILLETTE!!! "Face to Face" Blue Note

I think Craig will LOVE B-3 Soul Jazz!!!

----------------

He does a version of 'Whatever Lola Wants, Lola gets' that I really like. I haven't heard that in years but I remember listening to it over and over way back when.

forrest