Need help with urgent Klipschorn question

mink70

Hello--

I'm rather new to the forum and to Klipsch in general, but I have an urgent question that I would appreciate help with. I have an opportunity to acquire a pair of late 70's Klipschorns locally. I love big speakers and the Tannoy Ardens I have now are great, but in my 17 by 20 foot living room they need at least 75-100 watts to come to life. Currently I'm driving them with a Mac MC275, and the combination works pretty well. The problem is that I love the sound of low-powered tube amps, and would love to find a big, dynamic speaker that can run on 8-15 watts.

So here's the question: do Klipschorns actually need to be positioned in room corners, or can they sound as good standing out in the open (2-3 feet from the rear wall in the case of my room?) Also, how big does a room have to be for K-horns to work optimally. I've never actually heard a K-horn, but am going on their reputation (despite audiophiles who tend to frown on Klipsch). I know they sound different from vintage Tannoys but I'm hopeful they would work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alex

Corner loading is necessary to obtain a coherent and solid bass response. However, you can build false corners for them easily enough if need be. The room you have should be sufficient for them, you will certainly not be disappointed with them if they are positioned correctly. You won't get the full frequency spectrum with them floating out in a room they need the corners to complete the bass horn and ideally with 4' of wall space on either side of them from the rear center of the speaker. Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision and welcome to the forum!

----------------

On 12/5/2003 4:11:09 PM mink70 wrote:

Hello--

I'm rather new to the forum and to Klipsch in general, but I have an urgent question that I would appreciate help with. I have an opportunity to acquire a pair of late 70's Klipschorns locally. I love big speakers and the Tannoy Ardens I have now are great, but in my 17 by 20 foot living room they need at least 75-100 watts to come to life. Currently I'm driving them with a Mac MC275, and the combination works pretty well. The problem is that I love the sound of low-powered tube amps, and would love to find a big, dynamic speaker that can run on 8-15 watts.

So here's the question: do Klipschorns actually need to be positioned in room corners, or can they sound as good standing out in the open (2-3 feet from the rear wall in the case of my room?) Also, how big does a room have to be for K-horns to work optimally. I've never actually heard a K-horn, but am going on their reputation (despite audiophiles who tend to frown on Klipsch). I know they sound different from vintage Tannoys but I'm hopeful they would work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alex

----------------

Audiophiles frown on Klispch? huh? 7.gif

----------------

On 12/5/2003 8:32:12 PM Piranha wrote:

Audiophiles frown on Klispch? huh?
7.gif

----------------

I'm guessing he is confusing Audiophiles with people who beleive what the advertisers force feed and print in the trade rags.

Alex, I am a long time Mac / Klipsch fan. The 275 is only an OK amp and YES you need a corner for Khorns.

JM

Real or false corners, yes...

OMG are you in for a treat. If you decide not to take the offer.... Please pass on the k horns to people in here first. A lot of people are looking.

At what, 104 db's at one watt? Trust me, a great k horn with 5-15 watts is MORE than enough for most people..

I don't think your room is too small for k-horns, although relative room dimensions may or may not be ideal, as cornerhorns can be VERY fussy with that and with listenig position. Very fussy, and not very adaptable. You are more or less bound by the room constraints. My room is less than ideal, by a long shot, yet the big horns can still sound great IF I adjust to THEM - They have to go HERE; I have to set HERE! - ya know?

Alex,

if you can buy the Khorns for a good price, they are worth getting even if you won't be putting them in an optimum situation for a few years. they sound good, though lacking base, if they arent welded into good corners. The bottom line is they are about the best speakers you can get your hands on, and if you are getting them used, they are the best!

Hi Mink; I'm new to the forum as well. I've owned KH's for six years. I bi-amp them with Cary 300b SET's running the mids and highs and a Nikko SS amp running the bass. The Nikko is 220 watts per channel and has level controls on the back, so you can dial in your bass. One of my speakers is positioned optimally and one is positioned horribly-- two feet from back wall, side wall is glass. I have never been able to detect a difference in the bass output of the two speakers. I bought my amps from a really high-end stereo shop in Atlanta and the owner had a pair of KH's sitting in the middle of the room driven by a pair of 8 watt SET amps. The owner said he thought they were the best speakers he had ever heard. BTW, he was not a klipsch dealer and this pair of KH's was not for sale. Anyway, I am certainly no expert, and my ears are 49 years old, but I think if you put the correct type of power to them, they will sound fantastic out in the middle of a field. Hope this helps.