OT:Burst Water Pipe - What Next?

garymd

Looks like under the foot of snow in my front yard there's a burst waterpipe. Water is flowing down our yard into the gutter and down the street. I'd dig around but it's so bloody cold outside I'll wait for my taxpayer's money to go to work.

A neighbor rang the doorbell and asked if we were draining our pool. Since we don't have one and our next door neighbors do, I ignored them. Now we're just waiting for a call from the county's water & sewer division.

It's always something.7.gif

Gary, I fully understand your delimma. Friday I walked around the back of the house and I saw the ground near my foundation caving in!!!! I am talking with three contractors and getting three different solution........yeks! like I really need this, this close to x mas..........Good luck with your problem.

I don't know about where you live but around here if the damaged area is between the "CC" and your house then your on the hook.

If the damage is before the "CC" ( shut off valve in the "ground" that runs to your house then the meter) then the county or city absorbs the costs.

Good luck anyway.

My wife use to work in the tax and utilites dept, in charge of the water dept.

I just finished overseeing the poor county water & sewer worker check our line. He's been on the job since 8:00 this morning.

Good new: Nothing wrong with our line.

Bad news: Watermain break in our neighborhood. Right in front of my house.

They may not get to it tonight since they're currently fixing one elsewhere but they'll be here in the morning and we'll probably have no water while it's being fixed. I guess I'll shower tonight just in case. I'm relieved it's not us. I was also thinking it could be our well which is only hooked up to our front outside spicket and used rarely. At least it's no money out of my pocket which was my main concern.

----------------

On 12/7/2003 9:41:20 PM garymd wrote:

I just finished overseeing the poor county water & sewer worker check our line. He's been on the job since 8:00 this morning.

Good new: Nothing wrong with our line.

Bad news: Watermain break in our neighborhood. Right in front of my house.

They may not get to it tonight since they're currently fixing one elsewhere but they'll be here in the morning and we'll probably have no water while it's being fixed. I guess I'll shower tonight just in case. I'm relieved it's not us. I was also thinking it could be our well which is only hooked up to our front outside spicket and used rarely. At least it's no money out of my pocket which was my main concern.

----------------

Gary,

Hopefully it doesn't create a sinkhole later on that swallows your house? Maybe they should send out a soil engineer to rule out that possibility if it's close to your home? Water mains are under quite a bit of pressure. That pressure has to be escaping somewhere.

I am glad to hear it's not going to cost you. The inconvenience is bad enough.

You will know soon enough where the main is, because they will dig it up. Try to find out if it has been leaking for a while, eroding soil and potentially putting the water you spoke of in your basement. Not that you could prove anything, but it will be interesting to see if that problem clears up after the repairs. I don't think you have to worry about a large sinkhole, but pay attention to the area between the main and where the water appeared in your yard. Best of luck to you.

Chris

Hey Gary, glad I caught the end part where you said it was not your problem. I will keep my fingers crossed that you make it through the winter without any misshap. Make sure you are stocked up on gas for that generator.

All is fine in Tampa, this mornings temperature was 40f. A little to cold for me, but we should reach the 70's by this afternoon.

By the way, I got a chance to really listen to the Scott 299d and my Hereseys while installing the christmas lights Saturday. I added a JBL sub to the mix and boy does it sound great. Great highs, not ear splitting, plenty of punch and with the sub some good bass. Didn't check spl level but my neighbors could sure hear it. Maybe I will play christmas music next time. Over the holidays I will have to bring it inside. The wife noticed it and said what is that junk up there, turn it down.

Gary,

snoop around your clientele base and find a licensed PE, or call an ASHI accredidated home inspection company and ask them if they could do a quick stopby to check your soil condition. They can determine whether you have a Class A, B, or C soil, and whether it has reached saturation.

A saturated soil will heave, buck, or sink depending on pressure, temperature, and available path of least resistance(yes, soil will "flow".) It may be worth paying to have some rock backfill out of your own pocket chunked in the hole they excavate, dpending on the inspection, to thicken the gumbo.

You do enough business that the inspection should be free, and a little $$$ on the preventative side will obviate spending big $$$, lawyers, and time if you do start seeing significant subsidence.

Yes things can be done in an easement, they just cannot be permanent or be in the way of work that might need to be done. Similiar to what is going on now. Grass and or plantings shold not be a problem, obviously not a tree.

However, most of the easements where people do such work is in the back yard not the front.