ANYONE USING THE NEW SONY 5000ES RECIEVER?

sonyguy

I'M ABOUT TO BUY A NEW SONY 5000ES RECIEVER WHICH PUSHES 170 WPC TO REPLACE MY SONY 444ES WHICH IS 120 WPC.I'VE LOVED THE 444ES AND HOPING TO LOVE THE 5000 IT WILL BE HOOKED UP TO 2 RF-7'S AND A RC-7 WHICH ARE NOT HOOKED UP TO

THE CURRENT 444ES.I'M HOPING IT WILL SOUND CLEAR AND GOOD AND BLOW MY EARS OFF.

HAS ANYONE HEARD A 5000ES HOOKED UP TO THESE SPEAKERS??

LET ME KNOW.

THANKS...11.gif

Why is Sony hated so much around here?

I'm not an audiophile or anything, but am technically saavy. But what is it about Sony and Klipsch that just don't make it a good match? Is it because most people believe a company that manufacturers so many different products can't make a decent audio product? Is it because they produce LESS power in 4 ohm mode (my sony does anyway)? As far as over-rating their power specs, I would dare say *most* a/v receivers are over-rated in that area.

I think Sony receivers have their place. I've been around here for a short while, mostly lurking. I have been building my HT for a while, and still have a ways to go, but for my A/V receiver I chose the Sony STR-DA1000ES. Bottom of the line ES. I auditioned Onkyo, and didn't like it. I compared specs of the Denon, and I would have had to spend twice as much to get the features I needed that came with the Sony. I have experienced first hand H/K quality issues. For my needs, it just made sence to go with the Sony.

That said, I do find something VERY ironic: Sony seems to be the brand of choice for video products-yet they have the crappiest TV warranty I have seen. Sony also seems to be the LAST choice for audio products, yet the have the BEST warranty I have seen. Strange, isn't it?

Off-Subject: Those with Sony A/V receivers-Due to space and budget restraints, I have the Quintet IIs hooked to my receiver. They work exactly as I expected them too (am pleased)-That being, they are GREAT for HT, but aren't too well for music. My thought is I CAN get two tower speakers, and place them on the "B" channel, and switch speakers depending on what I am doing with the AV Receiver. My question is:

How well do RF-5s do with Sony? I have heard some people say they sound "bright". What exactly does that mean in terms of frequency accentuation? I don't really know what "bright" means, but if it means what I think it does, then I prefer a bright sound. In the past, I had an EQ, and I tend to accentuate the extreme bass and high range frequencies, and attenuate the mids...

-Alan

P.S. For what its worth, I have heard the new digital receivers (2000ES and up) have a warm sound-reminicent of tube amplification. I don't know this first hand, but have read that quite a few times, at quite a few different forums.

If you have experienced HK first hand, you would not even be contemplating a Sony receiver IMHO. As for Sony TVs they had the best picture in the business 10 years ago, the quality control or something has dropped out and they are no longer what they used to be.

On the receiver side they have never even been in the running. They are mediocre at best. Onkyo and Yamaha are in the same category as Sony IMO. They are mediocre receivers that don't make a good match for Klipsch, which is a very revealing speaker.

You want a high current receiver that sounds good. Harman Kardon has the best customer service in the business if you buy from an authorized dealer. I know HK rates their watts very low. I don't buy into any of this watt crap personally. I am running a little HK 325 (rated 65 watts in stereo) with my RF-7s and when I put in stuff like 50 Cent and crank it up I can shake my whole side of the apt building. I can't turn the volume up anymore than -13 or so without knocking crap off the walls and pissing off everyone within 10 units of me. It is all the power I need until I get more speakers and move into a house.

A receiver is a lot more than just features, what kind of musical sound do they produce? Try to go audition different receivers at your local Klipsch dealer on some RF-5s or 7s and then you will hear the difference. I personally am getting into tube amps as soon as the budget allows me to. Until then I will run a tube pre-amp to my receiver and see how that sounds.

Ouch! Harsh reply!

Thats the good thing about the world we live in-Different strokes for different folks...

Guess I should have clarified-I am not argueing Sonys rank up there as one of the best receivers to buy-I'm just saying for the average joe (like myself); they do have their place.

Part of the problem maybe that I am an average consumer type, frequenting audio-phile class forums. I'm just not into audio like most here, and definately would not spend the amount on gear that alot of people do (no disrespect intended...everyone has different priorities).

As to the features-that is VERY important to me. What good is a modest HT setup, if its so complicated, that my wife can't even watch TV on it? I am sure your opinion differs, I'm just saying that is my situation.

Also, futher clarification-When I say I have experienced first hand HK issues, it was NOT with a receiver. But, you mention that if I had experienced HK, then I would not even be considering the Sony. What good is a top quality piece of equipment if it breaks? ANYONE can suffer from misfortune from ANY piece of equipment, but I have the luck of the draw. As the ol' saying goes "Go to a plumber's house, and all his faucets will leak.". Same holds true for me. I have crap for luck with electronics-Even though I have the knowledge, skill, and test equipment to repair anything of mine that breaks, I don't have the TIME to fiddle with anything.

I got so fed up with my electronics (all brick and morter crap), that I sold everything I owned, and started all over again. Especially since purchasing a brand new house. That was the main reason I went with the Sony: 1) Features (did what I needed) 2) build quality (no plastic crap) 3) Audio Quality-sounds good to me- Yeah, I may not know good audio quality if it hit me in the face, but then again, audio is NOT a hobby of mine 4) and most importantly...a 5 year warranty.

Am I saying I bought the greatest thing since sliced bread? No, of course not. Am I saying I bought the best A/V receiver FOR ME with all the features I needed, at a price I was willing to spend? YOU BET!!! There are bound to be many people like myself frequenting these forums. I guess the thing is, alot of the regulars around here are audiophiles, that are VERY serious about their audio. But do keep in mind that there are alot of regular folk who may happen to stop by when asking for advice.

I have seen it MANY MANY times before in my short tenure at these forums: ALOT of people were like me-they never even heard of Klipsch-the first they ever heard of them was because of getting a decent set of computer speakers, then started browsing the HT forums over here, only to find out they are probably in way over their head. I have seen a few of these people make a few posts that gets alot of flak for why what they have is crap, or why it won't work, and mystereously, you don't see these people post anymore.

-Alan

P.S. Someone still explain "bright" to me...I would still love a set of towers to go on my B channel, and really considering the RF-5s (RF7s are out of my budget)

----------------

On 12/11/2003 1:30:45 PM FirebirdTN wrote:

Also, futher clarification-When I say I have experienced first hand HK issues, it was NOT with a receiver. But, you mention that if I had experienced HK, then I would not even be considering the Sony. What good is a top quality piece of equipment if it breaks?

-Alan

P.S. Someone still explain "bright" to me...I would still love a set of towers to go on my B channel, and really considering the RF-5s (RF7s are out of my budget)

----------------

HK recievers are a good choice, but as for the quality issues, its not. if you are about the sound then go with the HK recievers to be matched with your klipsch speakers. Denon has some good quality recievers and also marantz. yamaha was classified as to be a bright to be matched to the klipsch speakers.

as for your ? about "whats is bright" well, other guys can answer this, but IMHO bright is classified as to much high freq involved without matching with the midrange and the low freq. dont quote me on that, but i think bright sounding is just bad sounding to my ears.

Thank you for the reply!

Even if your definition isn't spot on technically correct, I do appreciate you taking the time for a reply. Your definition of bright sounds pretty much like what I anticipated, which is a good thing-because, eveidently I prefer a bright sound. I like accentuated highs and lows, and back off the presence.

Sounds like my idea with some RF5s may be a good choice for me, especially since I no longer own an equalizer, and have NO plans on buying one again.

-Alan

Sorry, did not mean to sound rude or harsh. Maybe I should have worded that first paragraph a little different.

I understand what you mean completely. When I first started getting into audio I went to Best Buy and looked at the Kenwood receivers. I was lucky that a sales rep told me I didnt want that and to look at Harman Kardon. I went home and started doing some research and found the Home Theater Forum, AVS Forum, Klipsch Forum and the list goes on. After a few months of reading everyday on the internet and auditoning I ordered Klipsch RF-7s and an HK receiver. Now after many months I realize that Khorns and tubes are the way to go for two channel and I find myself torn between these RF-7s I love so much and KHorns. So do I build an HT around RF-7s and go with Khorns for a listening room or try to incorporate everything into one system. It just never ends. That is what makes it so fun though. I won't see the light at the end of this tunnel for a very long time unless I win the lottery or something.

WHOOAA!!!

all sony receivers are NOT the same performance/quality.

if anyone is interested, do a search for:

Burr-Brown d-to-a converters(some of the BEST)

32 bit floating decimal point SHARC processors(much more powerful than RISC)

parallel push-pull output transistors

gold capacitors(very tight performance tolerances)

S-fin(keeps the heat sinks from resonating)

MY strda777ES has all that and more:

upgradable flashmemory for surround sound upgrades(i'm on v.2.02)

made in japan(not malaysia/china/etc.)

62 pounds!!!

THIS PUPPY CRANKS!!!

i think the new digital amplifiers have great potential, but will reserve judgement until i hear one in MY ht room.

avman.

Vital-I understand completely, and agree with ya 100%. Everyone's needs are different. Also, if the "holy grail" was so easily obtainable, then we would all have the same setup, and there would be no point in the audio journey.

I especially got a kick out of your "it never ends" statement. Isn't that the truth! Even for my very low end setup, my better half is clobbering me on the amount of money spent. I try and reassure her by showing her similar items that cost 10 times as much, and tell her "see, I am not going overboard-look how much I saved". LOL!!! Since starting over, I've bought new TVs, VCRs, DVD players for all bedrooms (all low end stuff), but it adds up.

Then there was the cost of the wiring. My living room is very oddly layed out, so I needed alot of inwall runs...Plus the interconnects, etc...All of which I bought what I thought was the "best bang for the buck", without trying to be too skimpy. My goal was a step above a "home theater in a box". All in all, I am happy with my setup (except I need some decent towers for music-The Quintets are perfect for movie use, but I feel they lack when doing music duties).

-Alan

Sony has good stuff in their higher end like you mentioned. I used to own a db840 and with the right cables it had a huge sound alot fuller than my new onkyo. But the trade of was a cleaner highs which some might call a bright receiver, but its just a cleaner one. The sony had a little tiz in the highs when cranked. I added an audio source two amp to it to check out that two channel sound. And let me tell you i wish i never would of sent that back after four hours or more of burn in time. I heard music like it was right their. Tube amps sounded like tube amps when they were playing them on stage. And horns on jazz sounded just plain awesome compared to a receiver. That is what is nice about sony they give you preouts for that. Basically i didn't need a sub with my old sony but i do now. You can get that audio source amp two for like 250 dollars. That's a frinking bargin.

AVMAN:

i totally agree with you with the 777ES, that amp rocks!!!

i have listened to Denon 5700 and Yamaha DSP-A1 at that time, and oh man, was the 777ES price/performance ratio the best. However, Sony stop the production on them after a few months and from what i heard, they were losing alot of money on them.

Now to some of you people dislike sony recievers, this amp is not like their new 1000-5000ES series nor is it in the same class as the thier 333-555ES series. The 777 reciever can easily compete with the new amps today such as the 4800, 5800, and the RX-V9.

People dont believe me until they hear it at my house, but since the receicver is so rare, many people never had the opportunity to experience one of sony's most advance products. BUT, if you do want to know how the Preamp stage of the 777 performs, just listen to their 9000ES series.

I have owned Sony in the past. I was using an 8xx series at the time and brought an HK home to compare. The Sony cost about $500 less and sounded every bit as good. I later got a 777ES. This may be one of the best receivers ever built. I sold it and got a B&K307 which cost two times as much and was only slightly better.

I use another term to describe Denon and that is 'thin'. I have only used the 4802 and higher series. They all sounded thin and bright. My Kenwood 6070 could drive my Monitor 11's to much greater depth than the Denons.

I have owned most all receiver brands and have never found any to be perfect. You just have to find the one that sounds best to "you" when used in your system. The search is half of the fun.

Firebird, have you considered the RF35's? I listened to the 5's and 35's and ended up with the 35's. I preferred their sound and they cost less. I could get you a deal on them in Nashville if you are ever in the area. I can also get you a Rotel 1066 if you decide on seperates.

The comment made by Fire Bird hits the spot!

"As to the features-that is VERY important to me. What good is a modest HT setup, if its so complicated, that my wife can't even watch TV on it? I am sure your opinion differs, I'm just saying that is my situation. "

Sony Guy- if you've had the ability to listen and like it- go for it. With the RF 7 you will have a good system!