ANYONE USING THE NEW SONY 5000ES RECIEVER?

sonyguy

Hitman21-

Somehow I missed your reply to me. I wouldn't be totally against the idea of RF35s. I am not ready to buy just yet, but will be in the future.

I see your in Nashville-I'm in Memphis, and the closest authorized dealer I found is an hour away in Jackson, TN anyway. Also, I don't think they actually have many Klipsch items in stock-they have a few-, but I'm guessing auditioning would be hard to do at that location. I might have to make a trip to the music city when I am ready to pick a set up.

Oh, and as far as equipment goes, I'm pretty much set. I have been building my first REAL HT setup (hence the low end ES purchase), and am perfectly happy with my setup. This is actually my second "HT" setup ever. The first was...well, lets say a disaster (poorly match components).

Now, if I ever find myself with a dedicated media room (I have unfinished bonus space upstairs), I have already decided separates would be the way to go.

-Alan

• 3 months later...

The new Sony Digital Receivers sound great with Horns (Klipsch speakers) Almost tube like sound, But I heard they don't sound as good with less effecent speakers, But with klipsch speakers the new sony's a perfect match. I'm using klf 30's with the new STR-DA5000ES Sony. Nice clear, clean, krisp sound

I can't wait to here one of these digital receivers. I don't buy into it sounding like tubes. I am thinking quite the opposite. But i will find out. A digital amplifier man that sounds cold. I read a review about one and it didn't have enough power or smoothness. I think it was Cnet. It wasn't the sony it was the panasonic. And i don't know but i read nothing but bad reviews.

I think it would be hard to make blanket assumptions about any make of receiver now, considering the short market life and "farmed out" manufacture. For instance, the new Sony ES receivers are totally new. No correlation with older product at all.

I don't see low-impedence drive capability as being too relavent to klipsch speakers, except for the smallest, least efficient models, perhaps. For instance, my k-horns are rated 104dB/1W/1m. Almost any receiver on the market can deliver enough clean power, full spectrum, to drive the klipschorn to deafenng levels in any typical room.

Sound Quality - Brand A sucks. Brand B is wonderful, musical, liquid, etc, etc. I'd say take that with a grain of salt. I think there is a lot of herd mentality, and power of suggestion coming into play. Not that there aren't real differences, just that the real ones tend to be very small. Plus, what sounds hard and etched to one, will sound sparkly and detailed to another.

----------------

On 3/26/2004 7:45:56 PM wheelman wrote:

I can't wait to here one of these digital receivers. I don't buy into it sounding like tubes. I am thinking quite the opposite. But i will find out. A digital amplifier man that sounds cold. I read a review about one and it didn't have enough power or smoothness. I think it was Cnet. It wasn't the sony it was the panasonic. And i don't know but i read nothing but bad reviews.
----------------

you need to listen to one before you comment.... and obviously you haven't done that much reading.... over on avs forum there was a thread entitled "$300 krell killer from panasonic".... yes, they do sound very good!... a friend of mine bought the panasonic for a second system... he ended up using it in his home theatre because it sounded soooo much better than his denon receiver......

i own a carver professional ZR1000 digital amplifer that i use to power my KLF-30's..... it is simply the best sounding amp that i have ever used with my speakers.... 225 watts per channel..... very powerful..very smooth.... it doesn't sound like a tube amp..... it just plays all of the musical spectrum with an effortless smoothness... it is the only solid state amp that has never caused ear fatigue at higher volume levels.....

i prefer it over the used dynaco sca-35 that i used for about 6 months....

digital amps do sound good.....

1.gif

Like i said i didn't hear one so know i can't judge and i didn't or may be i did. I just would like to hear one. And i don't buy into it sounding like a tube amp or a Krell. But i believe you if you say it sounds good. I would like to hear one though. I am just thinking of these pods they got for guitar that people buy into thinking they sound like tube amps. I'ts a freakin joke. Sure theirs the similarities but that's about it. So you say their smooth Harman smooth? I like smooth sounding gear.3.gif

James is right n the money when he said low impedence drive is not that relavent for Klipsch speakers. I own the new Sony STR-DA5000ES And it sounds great with my KLF 30'S. But like I said before these new digital amps can not drive low efficient speakers. That's why I said the new sony digital receivers mainly the DA5000ES THE ONE I'M USING WITH MY klf 30's is a perfect match for Klipsch speakers. The DA5000ES CAN DRIVE MY klf 30'S TO EAR BLASTING SOUND. Most of the people that bought these new Sony receivers and say there no good are using them with low efficientcy speakers. But with Klipsch speakers there great. I know I own one.

I went on a short Sony receiver binge recently, tried out the 2000ES, and 3000ES, to make a long story short, I was very dissapointed. I felt duped with the power output, and the "hissing" drove me mad. The technology behind Sony's new receivers is pretty amazing, but a few bugs need to be worked out IMO.

Having said that, It seems that almost everyone who went with the 5000ES are happy customers.