who is using HDTV

easylistener

----------------

On 12/16/2003 4:41:40 PM bclarke421 wrote:

I'm currently watching a 36" HD monitor listed in my signature. It's line doubling S-Vid inputs all the way around. At this point I'm not willing to shell out the bucks for HD sources. I've only got an 18" round dish up (Directv), so that would need an upgrade, plus the box. I got a screaming deal on the set ($898), but we bought a new CRV the same week, not to mention a new pair of shoes!! I think I can wait.

----------------

It isn't cheap but it is getting cheaper. Directv will upgrade your dish and install it with a hd receiver for 400. This is about half of your tv cost which is a lot. I tell you guys though it was worth it if you watch tv during prime time. Fox is the only one in my area that isn't running tru high def. I can't wait till tomorrow night Packers in HD Monday night football.

All of you guys looking at over the air receivers you my want to look into a directv receiver or a cable box of your own. They don't cost much more and if you ever get cable or sattilite then you don't have to through the box you just bought away. Sat boxes do over the air and sat. Mine also does cable, all three. Just a thought, this stuff is expensive and you should think about it.

KY_Flyer-

In general, the MyHD-120 isn't bad. However, the software is still underdevelopment and isn't 100% reliable. I have some troubles changing channels expecially when it alternates between digital HD & analog as it will sometimes lockup/crash or is very slow. Also, there are well documented problems with Intel Processors with HyperThreading capibility. They are starting to get software fixes for that particular problem, but keep this in mind. Also, don't plan on doing any analog recording, it lists that capibility, but its really really really bad! It is far worse the the quality of a VCR! But, HD recording is fine.

Enough with the bad....I do like the product and I LOVE HD! I like the ability to add, remove, and sort my favorite channels. Its a hardware based decoder so my "little" AMD 700Mhz t-bird works fine. However, this card will only be able to tune OTA HD & Analog, and Analog cable, it won't be able to do Cable HD! It also interfaces seamlessly with my front projector (Sanyo PLV-Z1) without having to run an extra video cable, which is the primary reason I got it.

If you are a PC person and like tinkering, then it will be fine. But, it won't pass the WAF factor!

Hope this helps...

-Dave

We've got Cox HD cable. There are only five channels so far as they haven't reached an agreement with the local channels about carring two signals (analog and digital). The Pats /Jets game on ESPN was nice. Also the new cable boxes have a much better picture quality on all channels than the old boxes so all in all it seems worth the added cost.

Rick

We have HDTV through Insight Cable. They offer two different packages, the basic package for HDTV we have is the big 3 networks local affiliates, a PBS HD loop, and Bravo HD, which generally broadcasts old HD broadcasts. They only charge 2 bucks a month including the HD box rental. They also offer another package for 8 dollars a month that includes ESPN HD and a couple of others. I love HD broadcasts. I noticed that a lot of folks on this board have Hitachi widescreens. I have a 51G500. I love the HD picture and DVDs, but most of the regular digital cable channels look fair to poor. Can anyone help me with the settings on their projection televions that may help improve our picture? Thanks in advance.