DVI vs. Composite

MasterT

Well, Yes DVI is better than composite. Composite is the Yellow cable that you can use to hook up your VCR or cable box (goes with the white and red analog audio cables). If you are asking if it is better than component, the jury is still out on that. Some people say no difference others say DVI is definitely better. I personally don't have DVI on my TV, so I couldn't give my opinion.

DVI (at least concerning HDTVs) is a digital output whereas component (which is what I suspect you really mean) is an analog one. So some people blindly believe DVI is always better. Well most HDTVs sold so far are CRT-based RPTVs and in the end they need an analog signal to drive the CRTs -- so for them a component output would likely be just as good as a DVI one. Of course all this depends on the equipment, but if I had a CRT-based RPTV I wouldn't worry about getting a DVI cable if I already had a component one. If you have a DLP televsion then you should be better off using the DVI output because those HDTVs ultimately need a digital signal to drive the display.

(If you have a DLP televsion then you should be better off using the DVI output because those HDTVs ultimately need a digital signal to drive the display.) Very true.

I also have the Samsung 61" DLP HDTV. So I can second the opinion on the benefits to the Samsung unit.

FYI, DVI = Digital Video Interface.

Todd corrected me below...

DVI = Digital VISUAL Interface. I stand corrected!! LOL Funny though I have seen it (I went and looked in my magazine and it said Video. Oh well, your probably right!!)Afterall, we argued for years is it vedeo or vidio or video??

I look at it this way, a DVD + digital (DVI)cable to a digital unit.(So no system change in the information of the signal.) What I can tell you, without exception, people come over and go OMG, THAT is an incredible picture!! If you have a HDTV and it is Digital Ready and has a DVI input this is a home run. My Comcast box has a DVI output, although not turned on as of yet... I think when they throw that switch, it will make a huge difference too.

FYI, It is also just the video feed, NOT the audio too.

I have a 57 Hit. RPTV and the dvi picture is better than comp. It isn't drastic but it is better. Another thing you might want to think about is if you are going to use this on a 4:3 tv than most of the tv's lock the signal into widescreen when using the dvi. I think most sony's are that way. I wouldn't worry to much becasue there is already a new connection that is a cross between dvi and firwire that is suppose to be the standard. Many new receivers are going to be coming out with this connection because it allows video switching and also has audio with in the same connection. Would be nice, but I find it hard to believe they are actullay going to allow a audio and video feed go thru the same cable. Less cables to buy and less money for companys that have over priced cables like monster.

You guys are forgetting the real issue: it has nothing to do with if the image is better; it has to do with settings up HT's so they can encrypt video feeds to stem piracy further.

The reason all TVs are getting DVI connectors dispite the lack of DVI based DVD players is because it is currently planned that the next generation of DVDs (HD-DVDs) will _require_ DVI output in order to display. DVI specifications include HDCP encryption by Intel to make recording/taping impossible. OK, maybe not impossible, but the same level of security that we use with PGP encryption and Credit Card verification online: Very difficult to break.

You don't need to look any further than current DVD players with DVI connectors: none of them will scale the DVD image over the component connector; you have to use the DVI connector for the scaling to work. Otherwise, just as current generation DVD players all have progressive scan, we should be seeing all DVD players scaling standard 480p to 1080i by now ... yet we don't.

Oh well, the few ruining things for the many, it seems.

----------------

On 12/17/2003 5:37:26 PM Grand11 wrote:

Otherwise, just as current generation DVD players all have progressive scan, we should be seeing all DVD players scaling standard 480p to 1080i by now ... yet we don't.

----------------

Actually scaling a regular DVD to 1080i will not make it look ANY better. And depending on how good the scalar is, it could very make it look worse. Scaling 480p signal (yes DVDs are 480i but they are encoded in such a day that you can derive the original 480P without any loss) to 1080i will only try to create information that wasn't originally in the 480p material and thus create an image no better -- and likely worse unless it's using a expensive scalar -- than the 480p source material. That is why do don't see many DVD players scaling to 1080i.

I'm sorry guys, thanks for correcting me. I did mean "component" rather than composite.

Thanks for all the info on this subject. That's a lot of stuff that I did not know.

Does this mean that we are all going to have to get rid of our component equipment and

step up to DVI just to keep up with advancing technology in picture quality?

Grand... FYI the law was just changed to allow a universal connection wheather it is DVI or some other interface and NOT lock the consumer out. Just passed like 2-3 months ago. This would have been a major breakthrough, your right, for movie studios and or TV manufactuers... Congress got it right and did not allow this to happen.

I am glad someone in Washington looks at the consumers point of view too. (This was yet another hang up to scare consumers to buy this or that brand too.)

Ovation audio had this newspaper story on the situation at the store. You know rumors take over and yadda yadda everything is obsolete so buy this now or wait till next years model comes out kinda stuff. Thank goodness not true.

with a FIXED PIXEL DIGITAL display(ie: dlp/lcd/plasma/lcos/sxrd) dvi will maintain a digital signal all the way,w/out d-to-a conversion.

there are at least 2 dvi-out equipped dvd players thta will up-convert to 720p/1080i. in the case of my sony pj, if i send it 720p, i can bypass the internal video processor, and get 1-to-1 pixel mapping. i haven't tried that yet, but dvi vs. component on a pj in the showroom didn't make a difference in p.q.

avman.

I will say this, the DVI new $299.00 list Samsung HD 931 beat out my $650.00 Dennon now collecting dust in my basement.. you tell me which one is better? LOL

Don't worry the Dennon will be fine in another room someday. I am not sure why, but maybe if the Samsung DVD player cost $995.00 dollars more people would be more impressed?? I got mine for $275.00 on sale. A major home run to me!!

DVI is what digital out is to a DVD player, and component out is what multichannel analong out is to a DVD player with built in 5.1 decoder.

so.........if ya DVD player have a horrible D/A chip to decode the sound, you will end up using its digital out to an external preamp/receicer. However, if the DVD decoder sounds decent, then you will use its multi-out.

i dont know if that is the best example or not, but component and DVI all depends on the type of equipments, the can be better, or worst, as well as equal.