MC240 on the Scope by request

NOSValves

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah Gary, you are getting a box load tomorrow I hear. Can't wait to hear how they sound. We will all be expecting a report. I hope Guy's intent was to let a few go if they were that good.

Gary, thanks for the Mac. Can you fax me a manual? I believe you had said you would include one in the packaging but Criag says he does not have it. You know when this thing shows up I will have no patience for waiting and will have to scrounge up your cell number and bother you at an odd hour.

Khorns, with all this hype it has got to be hard to hold out. I have been thinking about putting a set in my HT setup, but that just seems like a waist.

Gary, Have I told you lately that your sig is getting way too long.9.gif

I am sure Craig has the manual if you sent it. Typical male thing, the hell with the directions full speed ahead. Which makes me think...Craig? were there any parts left over after you finished? Maybe a few screws or caps.9.gif

I always wonder if the extras are because they think you might loose some, or did I actually leave them out somehow? The wife wants to get the 10 year old a new bike. It had better come pre assembled this time of year because the wine and beer is flowing at the Tillman house.

Bill,

I have no more time to waste but just let me say I messed with the feadback circuit. I've been listening all day also Mopar Dave was by here he has heard this amp in its stock form. He and I agree this MC240 is really cooking the tunes now !! Man it sounds very good your in for a treat !! I actually did the exact oposite of what Mark suggested his suggestion made things worse for some crazy reason but hey MC's are completely different then any other tube design. I think that is why he said "If Possible"

Craig

----------------

On 12/18/2003 6:02:37 PM NOSValves wrote:

Bill,

I have no more time to waste but just let me say I messed with the feadback circuit. I;ve been listening all day also Mopar Dave was by here he has heard this amp in its stock form. He and I agree this MC240 is really cooking the tunes now !! Man it sounds very good your in for a treat !! I actually did the exact oposite of what Mark suggested his suggestion made things worse for some crazy reason but hey MC's are completely different then any other tube design. I think that is why he said "If Possible"

Craig

----------------

Craig,

What exactly did you do?

Guy,

Due to my grandparents situation, I probably won't be tube rolling until Sat. night, earliest. You'll be the first to know. Looking forward to it.

Reworked the feedback circuit to smooth out the highs basically give the amp the same type of square wave response as my Mark III's in the upper region! This will not work with a stock MC240 !! What I believe is happening when you replace the 18 coupling caps in the MC240 with more modern and fresh caps it skews the feedback network as designed and voiced for the older fatter sounding capacitors. Kind of like to much of a good thing ! This amp is really singing now !

Craig

----------------

On 12/19/2003 12:13:50 AM NOSValves wrote:

Reworked the feedback circuit to smooth out the highs basically give the amp the same type of square wave response as my Mark III's in the upper region! This will not work with a stock MC240 !! What I believe is happening when you replace the 18 coupling caps in the MC240 with more modern and fresh caps it skews the feedback network as designed and voiced for the older fatter sounding capacitors. Kind of like to much of a good thing ! This amp is really singing now !

Craig

----------------

Good to hear!9.gif I wish I could hear for myself though. Unless I go to Tampa, I'll have to wait for mine.

Thanks again Criag for the work, you just keep plugging along with all your other work and let it play if thats what it needs. I am glad you and Dave like it, it must be kick a** then.

Gary, your mention of grand parents situation is alarming, I hope all is well.

If I get the chance I thought I would take a pic of my house at night with all the christmas lights on. It should make a peaceful post. If only I had snow it could be really cool, but I will leave that to you northerners.

----------------

On 12/19/2003 7:56:41 AM tillmbil wrote:

Thanks again Criag for the work, you just keep plugging along with all your other work and let it play if thats what it needs. I am glad you and Dave like it, it must be kick a** then.

Gary, your mention of grand parents situation is alarming, I hope all is well.

If I get the chance I thought I would take a pic of my house at night with all the christmas lights on. It should make a peaceful post. If only I had snow it could be really cool, but I will leave that to you northerners.

----------------

My grandfather had about 20 minutes this morning where he was fairly coherent. My grandmother is just totally confused. What a week! My uncle comes from Virginia tomorrow. The Ba$tard hasn't even been here all week and he's only 2 1/2 hours away! My mother and siblings want me to have power of attorney since I've been handling their finances for the past 2 years and all their money is in my bank. Right now my uncle has it and doesn't want to give it up. Seems he's more interested in his inheritance then doing what's right. This should be fun.

Bill,

I'll bet your house looks beautiful with all the lights. It's beautiful without them!