What are your sonic priorities?

jazman

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"This was not about amps Dean. It's about getting better aquainted with priorities. Amps are a different page. You seemed to be on track a bit with your initial response. Now I probably should give up."

Please, don't give up, I'm enjoying this.

It seemed to me that every point of progression on the list you posted involved amplification. After my intitial response, you said:

"Don't try to lay this on SET vs push pull or some other crapola. What are your priorities? Wouldn't you just be happier with a 100wpc SS piece? I did read that statement from you somewhere. Let's get past the bull****. All I ever hear from you of the PP is....Louder is Better. If that's your priority, just say it."

Again, the focus regarding amplification was apparent -- so I responded in kind.

My priority for my music reproduction system is to replicate the 3 piece standup, no name group that I used to listen to in a small bar in Cincinnati oin 1965. Friends of mine who went down the road of HE, tended to settle on speakers with low phase shift, for good imaging. They also used TT with ET air bearing arms. They could resolve the opening cut of Dark Side of the Moon. However they lacked dynamic range. I tried Theil 3.6s and like them, except for the fact that I tended to blow out the mid range drivers on a regular basis at $400 a pop. So then I drug out my La Scalas and gave them a chance again. Was not impressed. After a trip to the ChiTown Horn Fest, I was taken by the way the Altec vintage systems performed. I first tried 511/802s on my LS bases. I have settle on Altec 515/828 and 288/1005s. Drop a pair of 511/802s on your Khorns and you will be amazed. I have a spare pair if you would like to borrow them. See Qman in Fl for the ultimate in replacements for the K400/K35s. You have an open invitation to come by and listen to them the next time you come down for a hocky match.

----------------

On 12/19/2003 2:19:29 PM Ray Garrison wrote:

H44: I want a new record to play on my record player...

----------------

Ray,

So do I.

BTW, I have a Tosh. 3109, and though I don't have the other converters you use, maybe a M F X10-D tube buffer stage would get me playing CDs in the family room on the HT setup again.

Klipsch out.

3d,

I think I've said this before. I have a friend who has a very basic ss 2 channel system, who has no intention of spending large dollars to improve it. He has a large collection of Jazz and Classical CD's and he's happy as a clam. His priority is simply to play anything he likes. I enjoy visits to his home where the music is more important that how the equipment makes it sound.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 12/19/2003 4:50:25 PM Colin wrote:

my priority is a realistic 3D sonic holograph that makes think the artist or instrument might possibly be real, in my living room when I want to relax and listen to music...
3.gif

----------------

Colin,

Are you still using the subs as part of your 2 channel system when using the Paramoors? Speaking of the 3D holograph, are your Khorns in wall corners of false corners?

Klipsch out.

Dean,

Sorry for the long gap to respond, but my time obligations seem to continually exceed the available hours I have to be awake and still remain functional.

I would concede that in the end, it may come down to amplification as the final link. That's where the topology and design considerations meet the road. I do however think that a lot happens before that. I've never understood the louder is better mantra, maybe too much structured music training on my part. That's why I asked what you may consider an insulting question of what your sonic priorities are.

Your most recent statement, "Maximum dynamics with the least amount of SPL necessary to capture it. In my particular situation, and of course I can only speak for myself here -- "loudness" is an avenue through which I use to capture realistic dynamic presentation."

I have not researched, and will not, your past statements, but to my knowledge at least, it's the first time I have ever seen you state things in that manner. In the past it always seemed to run something like, I need "X wpc" of power to achieve the SPL I'm accustomed to. For the first time, I am reading you state the possibility of maximum dynamics being achieved with the LEAST amount to SPL necessary. Am I understanding your statement, or am I misunderstanding your statement?

Klipsch out.

Growing up playing bass and guitar, wearing t-shirts of my favorite bands and going to concerts was the way to connect to music. Didn't really think about it then, just lived it. What really counted when I listened to vinyl or a cassette tape then was how the music made me feel, did it fuel my inner fire, capture my imagination, or transport me to places far and wide, past and present.

Not worrying too much about the equipment, I think, added to the enjoyment. Ironically, becoming wiser and more sophisticated to the ways of the world makes that somewhat more of a challenge now. So if I can get to the point that I forget I'm listening to audio gear, and am just enjoying the music through its expression, beauty, tone, or sheer artistic force, then it's worth its weight in gold to travel to those moments again that were second nature growing up..

Why Jazman?

Men do not get so uptite. Maybe you need a new name.

I am finally convinced the heroin induced monotone of dynamics that is classic jazz is perfect for 2A3, due to my research.

Rock and Roll has less junkies per capita than old jazz. A significant population of the classic jazz genre are quite the poster children for dysfunctional masochists. Bill Evans and Chet Baker were limited in exploring their talent due to their self destructive behavior. They were "playing the blues" in one interpretation of the phrase.

At least Herbie Mann and Sonny Rollins were more jazzy than morose.

Benny Goodman and Lionel Hampton were certainly not morose.

Artists like Bernstein, Copland, and Gabriel's dynamic range needs more headroom than a few watts can give.

Filling a large room with uplifting dynamic music is a sonic priority.

----------------

On 12/21/2003 1:17:24 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

Why Jazman?

Men do not get so uptite. Maybe you need a new name.

I am finally convinced the heroin induced monotone of dynamics that is classic jazz is perfect for 2A3, due to my research.

Rock and Roll has less junkies per capita than old jazz. A significant population of the classic jazz genre are quite the poster children for dysfunctional masochists. Bill Evans and Chet Baker were limited in exploring their talent due to their self destructive behavior. They were "playing the blues" in one interpretation of the phrase.

At least Herbie Mann and Sonny Rollins were more jazzy than morose.

Benny Goodman and Lionel Hampton were certainly not morose.

Artists like Bernstein, Copland, and Gabriel's dynamic range needs more headroom than a few watts can give.

Filling a large room with uplifting dynamic music is a sonic priority.

----------------

Audio Flynn,

I tried to think what Yogi would say in response to your profound post.

How about.....

"Your display of intelligence is completely dumbfounding."

Klipsch out.

Great post, Are Friends Electric. It was a nice finely hewn two paragraphs that captured much of the feeling of your then and now with the contradictions of the now shown in plain relief. In other words, let's drop the TDK SA-90 into the Clarion and Jenson Triaxials and REALLY listen (System Importance: -1 ~ Musical Enjoyment: 10). Sure rings true from this end sometimes.

Audio Flynn, that last post of yours wins the award for one of the most troubling posts I have read in awhile. Yes, everyone's take on music is a personal one, but this summary left me wondering what was happening in Sparta World. I sort of disagreed with every premise and conclusion right down to the idea of what is meant by dynamics, artist expression, and ultimately uplifting music (uplifting surely does not always equate with inspiring). It just goes to further illustrate the huge variation in opinion, experience, interpretation. Still, your post does ring true with your take, and that is the most important thing with interacting emotionally with the music, perhaps goal #1 ultimately and a goal potentially achieved on a mono car radio from 65 to a rack system from Big Lots. This hobby can bring you further down one path while distancing you in another, many without the buyer aware.

kh