Whats a nice mid bugdet tube amplifier?

Klipsch RF7

Hi Guys,

Im looking for a nice tube amp for my 2 channel system and looking to spend around $500 or so. I have a Rotel HT reciever and Klipsch RF-3 speakers using Monster Z2 Biwire and im going to be using MIT Terminator 3 interconnects between the amp and pre outs on the reciever. Also, which tubes would you recommend that are the best to replace the stock ones in the lower priced amps. I listen to only classical cd's and want some nice warm, laid back smooth sound.

What do you guys think of the Cayin T-30 amps? They seem to be price fairly.

Thanks,

Georg Friedrich Handel

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/19/2003 3:57:46 PM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

I want a tube amp with the modern banana connectors for my speakers with the left and right RCA plugs for my interconnects, ive seen those old tube amps and they have these funky screw looking connectors for the speakers, i cant use those since my wires have banana connectors on them.
----------------

GFH,

I thought the same thing about the speaker connects but Craig at NOSValves told me about Jay-Tronics and a adapter you screw into the connect to make it bannana accesable. the part # is 45-2826 and is called bananna-spade gld cost 5.89 pair,I dont have the email off hand but the # is 815-965-8786.

Smilin

BTW from what I have learned here, the Scott is the way to go!

2.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/19/2003 4:13:04 PM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

Sweet! Which model Scott is a good one?
----------------

Most people on the forum have the 299 a b c or d, or the 222, call Craig from NOSValves and TT him, I have an extra 299D there you could TT him about.

Smilin9.gif

----------------

On 12/19/2003 4:15:02 PM NOSValves wrote:

Check out the Cayin TA30 at
if your stuck on shiny new and think the newer RCA jacks and binding post really make or break a amp. These thing can be easily be add to a vintage power amp but integrated amps it just not worth the very little if any improvement they really provide.

Craig

----------------

Thanks for the info1.gif

Yea forgot to mention what can be done to to transfer the screw terminals to Bananas. It a easy $12 fix. But your still going to have the original RCA jacks but they work fine on most vintage amps you just can not use really large interconnect sizes. Again the benifits are small to these modern connectors if at all.

Craig

----------------

On 12/19/2003 4:17:53 PM NOSValves wrote:

Yea forgot to mention what can be done to to transfer the screw terminals to Bananas. It a easy $12 fix. But your still going to have the original RCA jacks but they work fine on most vintage amps you just can not use really large interconnect sizes. Again the benifits are small to these modern connectors if at all.

Craig

----------------

Thanks Craig, would you happen to have a rebuilt with new, high quality tubes, with Bias and all that stuff set and ready to go Scott amp complete with the banana connectors for me to purchase from ya? Or something similair?

These are the interconnects im giong to be using, they are MIT Terminator 3 series.

MIT-wt3i1.jpg

That is a beauty ! One of my favorites in the Scott amp in there line. I suggest you stop worrying about how to connect things these probelms are easily solved issues ! The amp has RCA connection's for 3 High level devices like CD Players , Tuners and tape decks. It also has Tape out and 3 Mag inputs there all on the rear of the amp. Very versatile this is why there called integrated. The Banana adaptors go under the screw terminals mark H and 0 h for Positive and 0 for negative. Let me caution you though these amps can not be safely just put to use they are 40 years old and need rebuilding for sure !! In fact most sound pretty darn bad after all these years but sound incredible once brought up to spec. Some amps can sound fairly good without being rebuilt the SCOTT LINE IS NOT ONE OF THEM. I personally think anyone that runs these amps in there stock unrebuilt form is showing total lack of respect for the gear.

My Moto is "Respect the Vintage gear or buy new"

Craig

Oh and those interconnects will work just fine ! The only draw back is you may not be able to use all high level inputs at once with a RCA that large. But most people never use 3 high level inputs at once. I have even installed new ends on peoples intercannect before to make them work with this gear.

Craig

PS,

Heading out the door now feel free to give me a jingle or email me your number and I can call you. My number is on my website on the contact page.

----------------

On 12/19/2003 4:28:21 PM NOSValves wrote:

Nope as a general rule I do not sell amps. Sometimes I have some for sale but at this time I have nothing ready to go or that I really want to sell. 99% of my customers buy from Ebay and have it shipped here.

Craig

----------------

Well, How much to get this amp up to spec if i buy it? Put in all new tubes, clean up and resolder the circuitry, put in brand new caps and resistors or whatever the heck it has and put in all new banana connectors on the terminals that i need for the speakers and also soldering in brand new Gold RCA connectors for the left and right for the interconnects.

----------------

On 12/19/2003 4:15:46 PM smilin wrote:

----------------

On 12/19/2003 4:13:04 PM Georg Friedrich Handel wrote:

Sweet! Which model Scott is a good one?
----------------

Most people on the forum have the 299 a b c or d, or the 222, call Craig from NOSValves and TT him, I have an extra 299D there you could TT him about.

Smilin9.gif

----------------

Smilin,

You must mean, of those who have Scott amps don't you? What makes you think everyone has a Scott?

Klipsch out.

For starters, since our Frigging Forum Profile still does not include our equipment list, we need some information from you, some of which you have already provided:

Room size?

Room shape?

Prefer extra bass punch or flat accuracy?

How loud?

Other planned additions or upgrades?

Tweaking audiophile handy, willing to DIY?

Prefer new or used?

What else have you tried?

Otherwise, the advice here is right: check out a low cost refurbished integrated tube amplifier from NOSvalves and others like him. I think that vintage equipment must be checked out before judging it. Just like an old car that you are putting back on the road, many of the worn parts need replacing.

Horns love tubes. You could also investigate better placement, nicer cables and room treatments. All of which will make your big ole horns sing like no other low cost musical solution can do. If you love classical music, I think that you will find tube amplifiers with big ole horns make music, but only if you ignore conventional solid-state and cone driver specifications and let your ears do the listening. (You wouldnt measure the THD of a violin or trumpet would you its enormous.)

2.gif

GFH,

I think a good beginning for you is asking yourself the questions in Colins post, then relaying the answers. I hate to be the one to break the news, but your pre-chosen interconnects may not be the best for whatever components will comprise your new system. That step usually comes later, but there are no hard or fast rules can not be broken.

Your long range plans for your music system should also be taken into account. Thoughtful evaluation of your goals and priorities will pay dividends.

Klipsch out.

Im going to listen at moderate levels, no loud levels at all since i want to preserve my hearing. My room is about 20 ft. long 8ft. tall and 15ft wide. I am going to hook up this Scott or whatever tube amp i get to my Rotel RSX-1055 home theater reciever and use the rotel as a Pre amp.

what is your take on the MIT interconnects? They seem to get good reviews.