Hummmmm....

fini

The arm on fini's turntable can be jiggled in all directions. If you hold the arm in your fingers, you can jiggle it up and down, and side ways. It is a loose fit. I am not sure if this is supposed to be this way, but it seemed strange to me, and something that could make the arm (and thus the cartridge) susceptible to picking up vibrations in the air and through the table.

C&S

WEll I want to play on this advice thread as well. Fini, be sure to check your RCA (I believe that table uses RCA) connections as well. Simple jiggling should work. Since the ground needs to be continous through out your system, an open in this wiring (usually in the RCA connector) can cause a hum. Happened here before.

Also I got confused, what size balls do I need to play in the audiophile arena?

Henry,

Big balls, a little nuts.

Oh, the hum is there even when the RCAs from the TT are disconnected. I did notice a lower-frequency hum builds as I bring my finger closer to one of the 12AX7's, # V14.

fini,

this hobby, especially with tubes and phono turntables, is one that has to be fussed with a bit. you might try what Craig told to me, eg. do some tube rolling in the preamp section, cannot hurt to give it a try. is it possible that tube originally had a shield? like Mark says, that hum stuff is everywhere in the air and those pre amp tubes are just sitting there waiting to absorb it. the level of hum that i heard in your system did not seem like an AC issue, it is more likely in the Fisher and you might want to hear what Mike Z. has to tell you. Stop listening to hum and put on some music, you won't notice it. Also, just think of all the $$$$ you have actually saved by picking up this vintage crap, heh heh. lordy, lots of laughs, just kidding, ......

I dropped much more $$$$ and went through the same fussing anyway.....

C&S

C&S

Fini,

My Technics SL-D2 Turntable and Fisher 800B Receiver are inches from the Cornwalls and there's no hum or feedback. Initially experienced feedback when I had the TT connected to the rear terminal strips "EXT Ground" connection. Used a seperate connection to the chassis, no more problems. If you are using a ground on the rear terminal strips, try grounding the table using a chassis only screw.

Good luck,

Wes

Cornwall_Fisher.jpg