Considering purchase of RF-3....a few questions...

Zargathos

Hi!

Great forum. I've been lurking for a couple of days now, and decided to register.

I've a question concerning a possible RF-3 purchase. I recently purchased a new A/V receiver, Technics SA-DX1050, 100w 5 ch, Class H+ circuitry. Will this match up well with this model? These will be replacing my old pair of Technics SB-G910's I've had for 15 years....comparable in sound quality with the larger floor model Cerwin Vega's.

I've seen nothing but positive reviews of the RF-3 here <grin> and at audioreview.com and I've always been impressed by the quality and sound of Klipsch ever since a former roommate of mine from long ago owned a pair of Herseys. I plan to go audition the speakers in the very near future at Bjorn's here in San Antonio. The RF-3, pricewise, is about the very upper limits of my budget.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Any advise you can give will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

ditto, rowooo. but if u just want to be sure try 'em @home w/ the technics. the dealer should have at least

a 30-day return policy or maybe will just let u sample at home before buying. doubt you'll be takin 'em back though.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Not alot is posted here about Technics receivers. They match up very well with Klipsch. I recently replaced my aging Technics Pro Logic receiver. I tried mid priced Digital receivers from Onkyo, Kenwood, JVC and Sony,in my home. None had the smooth warm sound of my old Technics. I ended up with a Technics SA DX1040. I'm very pleased with the sound.These are power house receivers S/N ratio 113 db!!

Klipsch SF1 Mains

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch KSW12 Sub

Klipsch SF1 Rears (yep same as the mains)

Technics SA DX1040 Receiver

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Firstly congratulations on your choice. The RF3 is the only speaker I seriously considered as an alternative to my Heresy 2's that I finally purchased. It has truely great sound, and, in my experience, is the least "amp-fussy" speaker in the Klipsch range.

I have seen this thing being driven by everything from a $10,000 tube amp with 60 wpc down to a 20 year old Marantz SS amp with about 25 wpc in class A mode that was bought for $40.

Enjoy..

Hola! Zargathos... Hope you got a chance to enjoy the Folklife Festival last weekend... It's one that I found most enjoyable in terms of lots of people of different cultures getting together to enjoy their differences in a healthy way! Sounds kind of like the Klipsch board when its mercifully free of political rhetoric.

The RF-3 is an outstanding choice, and for HT, the all important center channel RC-3 is an outstanding tapered array performer. With the festival over, you can afford to divert all your spare change to making an R_-3 difference in your life. cwm16.gifcwm17.gif HornEd

PS: San Antonio remains one of my most favorite cities to live and party.

------------------

Living HT Legends

KLF 30 L&R Mains

RC-7 Center (ordered)

KLF 30 L&R Surrounds

KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

KLF 10 L&R Front Effects

Twin SVS CS-Ultra Pwr Sub

KSW-15 Pwr Sub (rear)

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweak On!

First of all have the RF-3's and love them. Greatest speaker I've heard to date. Having said that if I was in the market for new speakers I would be tempted to wait a little while longer just to see what the RF-7's have to offer, if their going to be in your price range.

there are a couple of things that are going to happen if/when you purchase these speaks. you may have to go to the plastic surgeon to get the permagrinBiggrin.gif on your face reconstructed back to normal. you may lose a few friends as well due to jealousy and envy. OR you may lose your girlfriend due to the fact that you're spending more time in front of your speaks than with her. anyway, very good choice. don't let anyone say anything negative, they just know you are getting a set of speaks they wish they would have originally bought. including the sales rep.

Thanks for the replys!

I went a couple days ago, and auditioned the RF-3. They sounded even more impressive than I could have imagined.

I played a well known Rush tune, track 3 from the Moving Pictures album entitled 'Yyz'. (this rock instrumental will give any speaker system a workout) and the RF-3 performed flawlessly.

I went back today, after convincing the wife. Smile.gif During the drive enroute, I thought about the RF-5 or RF-7. After a lot of thought, and after learning that these models haven't hit the stores yet (also considered my budget constraints....maybe someday <grin> ), I made a downpayment on those RF-3 speakers. Not surprising, they were sold out. Wink.gif I should have my pair in about a week, but they will be worth the wait.

I even did an A/B comparison with a Definitive Technology tower model (I think it was the BP 8B) at about the same price (at the recommendation of another salesman). There was no comparison. The RF-3 had vivid highs, and had a crisp, tight bass. The Definitive sounded more like the speakers I am trying to replace. :P

I think I made the right purchase. I'm convinced.no speaker matches the price/value ratio quite like the Klipsch RF-3. Thanks, guys!

Now, if only I could afford the RF-7 when it hits the shelves(floors?) Smile.gif No, wait...must save up for the RC-3. Wink.gif

This message has been edited by Zargathos on 06-14-2001 at 09:55 PM

Don't worry Z, I think you will be very pleased with the RF-3's as I have been. I have been a long-time Klipsch owner (Heresy) and can truly say that these are amazing speakers, especially for the price. Save up for the RC-3 and RS-3's and you will be a happy camper.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

Yep, I did it.

I currently have my RF-3 speakers on order, and they should be arriving from the factory to my retailer (Bjorn's) within the week...

However...

I got the proverbial 'wild hair' and went back to Bjorn's today. I bought and installed the RC-3 and the RS-3 speakers in my living room, replacing the Sony SSCN495H Center and the SSMB100H bookshelf (installed as surround) speakers.

Immediately played the Lobby scene from the Matrix....

You know what I'm about to say....I was taken on an audio rollercoaster ride. The sound from the Klipsch center and surrounds left the Sonys in the dust. Crystal clear highs, and crisp, clean lows. I was in heaven. They buried the Technics mains (that I have yet to replace) in volume, and tonal quality.

Now, I've only to wait on the RF-3's to arrive, so I can quickly install them and get the Klipsch sound most of you are already familiar with.

I must say this....Thank you, KLIPSCH!!!. I never knew music and Home Theatre could sound this good.

Klipsch made me horny! Wink.gif

Great product, great price. Now, I truly understand all the comments each of you have made concerning Klipsch speakers.

Consider me a Klipschophile. Smile.gif

if that Lobby scene isn't a good test for surround sound, nothin is. enjoy!

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Agreed, boa12! That movie always is a great measuring stick for your Home Theatre setup.

Lest I forget...

I should mention that I also played Run Lola Run (Highly recommended German foreign film - rent it now!) after I play tested The Matrix. Even more impressive. My new sound was so impressive, I got goose bumps. Really!

Too bad I'm at work now, or I'd be home enjoying even more music and movies. Frown.gif

Klipsch has me hook, line and sinker. But, that's a good thing!

------------------

RF-3 Mains (currently on order)

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Surround

Technics SA-DX1050 receiver

Panasonic DVD-RV31K DVD player

JVC 32" TV

Not too bad, I must say...

This message has been edited by Zargathos on 06-16-2001 at 07:24 PM

I know that feeling. When I first decided to upgrade my speakers (I was than a little ignorant) I went to what was supposed to be high end. Yes BOSE. I keep trying different DVD and music CD. My heart sank because I was so disappointed. My old system sounded better.

My dad has had Heresys for many years and I always thought they sounded awesome but way out of my league (price wise). Than I realized, with stand and brackets I was in it for over $1500. I COULD GET KLIPSCH. When I returned the crap I went to my Klipsch dealer and got the RF-3, RC-3 and (because of $) SS-1 (will soon upgrade to the RS-3) I was more than pleasantly surprised. I was amazed. I am and will be for a while a Klipsch fan!

PS To this day I am still amazed at the sound quality. I can just sit for hours and listen to music with my eyes closed and a smile on my face! It is worth every penny!!!

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3

RC-3

Synergy Rear surounds

I just spoke with a local retailer who recommended the RF-3's for my application.

I have a Yamaha 100W x 5 surround sound receiver with the Quintets. It souns good with video DVD, but lacks mid-range with CD audio. I am considering replacing the front-left and front-right Quintet satellites with a pair of RF-3's.

What do you audiophiles think?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike - If you like the sound of the RF-3, and there's no reason you shouldn't, be prepared to replace the Quintet center channel with an RC-3 or RC-7. The Quintet center channel will not keep up with the RF-3s. Also, it is possible you will want to boost the rears as well, as they will not keep up with RF-3s in the long run. However, that might be a more gradual purchase, if you're not in the position to do it now.

It's like the old Lay's Potato Chip commercials - Bet you can't eat just one!

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for your reply.

It sounds like a may have been a little rash in buying the Quintets. I don't want to replace them all.

I forgot to mention that I also have the KSW-12 subwoofer.

Is there a better choice for front replacements that I can buy and keep the rest of my Quintets in place, incldung the center channel?

Hey Mike - How about this...Buy the RF-3s, and use them only for music! When you want to watch a movie, fire up the Quintets instead. If your Yamaha does not have a Speaker B connection (for another pair of front mains), you could do that with a simple speaker selector switch, external to the Yamaha.

Of course, this would not work real well if you are wanting to listen to 5 channel audio (like some of the DTS audio disks that are out), because you'd not have a great match between the Quint center and the RF-3 fronts. But for good ol' 2-channel listening, it would work fine.

Doug

Mike I was going to give that same suggestion in your other post. This way you could have the best of both worlds and have the basis to upgrade to a great HT system in the future.

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear