B&W Nautilus 804's vs. Klipsch RF-7?

Klipsch RF7

These speakers are a keeper for sure, im just going to use them for about 3 weeks and return them and order them online for $1590 shipped to my door

Are you familiar with the term karma? Pretty shady.

Did you give Ultimate a chance to meet price?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Georg,

Congrats on the new speakers. If you like clessical, esp chamber, they are the way to go. I'm listening to mine now (Handel Concerti grossi), finally, driven via SET. If you treat them right you can't go wrong with these speakers.

I encourage you to think twice about the return. Maybe you feel that $400 is steep for a 3 week demo, but if everybody does that, no more retail stores & no more demos. My personal policy is if I demo and then buy a product, I always buy from the people from whom I demoed. Also, what you get for $400 less just may not be as good an experience (for example, they may be from completely different mfg lots because the web joint has a sloppy fifo). You could very effectively shoot yourself in the foot for a few $.

Also, with shipping $ the final difference may be insignificant.

Keep us informed about your impressions.

Leo

I agree with Leo 100%. That $400 isn't worth accepting the risk of a damaged shipment. Also, any possible future warranty issues will be much easier to deal with. You have them, you are obviously happy with them, you have local dealer support, and I think you should count your blessings and leave well enough alone!

Georg,

Be careful with online Klipsch products. I copied this from the main website:

"WARNING STATEMENT

Unauthorized Dealers of Klipsch Products

Klipsch home audio products are sold in the United States through a network of authorized dealers selected by Klipsch. This dealer network consists solely of dealers with physical storefronts. Some dealers may have Internet sites on which they also promote Klipsch products. Klipsch dealers have been chosen for their ability to properly represent, demonstrate, sell and, in most cases, service Klipsch products. There are no authorized Klipsch dealers who sell current Klipsch home audio products only from an Internet or auction-type website. Klipsch provides a warranty on products sold only by our authorized dealers.

Unfortunately, Klipsch products are sometimes sold by companies that are not authorized to do so. Goods sold by these unauthorized companies are not purchased from Klipsch; instead they are acquired from a host of other sources. Klipsch products sold by unauthorized dealers sometimes are:

(1) Purchased on a secondary "gray" market;

(2) Pirated goods not produced by Klipsch;

(3) Damaged, defective or so-called "B" stock goods; or

(4) Stolen goods

Many times, these products have serial numbers that have been changed or even removed all together by the unauthorized reseller. Any product represented to be built by Klipsch that does not have a serial number issued by Klipsch should be held suspect by the customer. Removal or alteration of the original Klipsch serial number will automatically void the warranty on that product. Unauthorized dealers either knowingly deceive the consumer by telling them the product is covered by the manufacturer's warranty, or they attempt to make repairs themselves. Repairs made by an unauthorized dealer may not meet Klipsch standards due to the use of inappropriate parts or repair by untrained personnel. Some unauthorized resellers remove serial numbers and warranty registration cards or replace our mailing address with their own to avoid detection. For that reason, if your new Klipsch product has no serial number or an obviously altered serial number label, or if there are not matching serial numbers both on the product and on a bar code label on the Klipsch box it was received in, immediately contact whoever you purchased that product from for resolution. Also, if there is no warranty card, or if the mailing address on the card is not either P.O. Box 688, Hope, AR 71802 or 3502 Woodview Trace, Suite 200, Indianapolis, IN 46268 or you are directed to not send in a warranty card to Klipsch, you should immediately contact whoever you purchased that product from for resolution. The best resolution would be shipment back to that seller for a full refund.

Many web sites change names and locations frequently so they cannot be reached to solve customer problems. Other sites simply go out of business. Due to the nature of the goods sold by unauthorized dealers and their business practices, products sold by unauthorized dealers are not entitled to Klipsch warranty coverage. We are using our best efforts (including this warning) to prohibit these companies from taking advantage of consumers, but these practices still exist. We urge you to use diligence when selecting a dealer to make your purchase.

The following method will determine if a dealer in question is authorized to sell current Klipsch home audio products. Click on "Dealer Locator" at the top of this page, choose the type of Klipsch home audio product you are looking for, then enter your zip or postal code (US and Canada) and click "Find". Outside of the US and Canada, choose a country and click "Find". This will give you a list of all authorized dealers you can purchase current Klipsch home audio products from for self-installation. Most Klipsch authorized contractors and home theater installation companies can also be found under the "Architectural Audio" product series. For any other questions, please call 1-800-KLIPSCH to speak with a customer service representative."

Rick

Georg,

Sometime when you're going to be out of the house for a few hours, leave the system on with an FM tuner tuned between stations with mute off (this should produce white or pink noise). Adjust the amplitude to louder than you would normally listen (cover your ears when you do this). Let this setup run for a few hours. When you return (cover your ears) turn off the noise, and try something, like the Handel, that you've already heard on the system. If you choose to do this, let us know if there is a change.

Leo

I had a similiar thoughts while reading your cap conditioning posts -- that there had to be a way to load the caps up with sufficient volatage for break-in, without the use of the prescribed procedure you outlined. I never thought about White or Pink noise -- though some of my music comes close to them.16.gif

I only read the first page, so I may be changing the topic here......but I agree that B&W are some of the most boring sounding speakers in production. I have heard a large chunk of their products (from the Nautilus 800's to the 600 series) and have never liked any of them much. technically the sound ok-they have fast, clean bass and detailed mids and highs, but something about them just makes the music seem as though each speaker has a peice of paper infront of it, just really unalive and lame sounding. if you have sensitive ears that bleed from 1/2 watt of power, the bw's are probably way to go, but if you like your music to sound like music, get the klipsch.

on a side note, positioning the RF series speakers takes incredible precision. a half inch of toe in can make a very noticeable difference (mostly in the way of imaging). I do not have the RF-7's (RF-5's are pretty much the biggest speaker my room can take) but I think both the RF-5 and RF-7 are similar in their basic placement requirements. take some time out of your day and get down and dirty with the precision placing 3.gif

Bclarke!!!

Thank You!!! Thank You!!! Thank You!!! Thank You!!! Thank You!!! Thank You!!!

I love you man!!

I went to Ulitmate electronics and spoke to thier store manager and explained to them that i can get them online for $700 ea. with free shipping. He looked at me and said "Ok, thats no problem. Ill match that price" So he gave a $460 credit back on my card!!

Wohoo, now i get to keep my babies and cant wait for the Scott amp to come back from Craig.

10.gif

----------------

On 12/27/2003 2:13:03 PM Bill H. wrote:

GFH,

Congratulations to you! You have one fantastic Klipsch store manager.......most of them wouldn't even come close. You got the best of both worlds, a close store in case of repair and a fantastic price to boot!

----------------

Yes, Tre bon 1.gif

"These speakers are a keeper for sure, im just going to use them for about 3 weeks and return them and order them online for $1590 shipped to my door."

This is really bad form in my opinion. I can't believe anyone could do something like this and not flinch --and to broadcast it here on the FACTORY SPONSERED FORUM--telling all of us how you plan to STIFF your local dealer. If you are going to do something this unethical you should KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!!!

----------------

On 12/27/2003 6:05:47 PM Allan Songer wrote:

"These speakers are a keeper for sure, im just going to use them for about 3 weeks and return them and order them online for $1590 shipped to my door."

This is really bad form--truly assho!e behavior in my opinion. I can't believe anyone could do something like this and not flinch . . . .

----------------

Whats really Ahole behavior is them paying $516 for each speaker and turning around and selling them for $920 for each, reaping around $840 worth of profit form a uneducated consumer for a set of them. I wasnt about to pay almost $500 extra of my hard earned cash so that they can take me to the cleaners, but they came through and i ended up keeping them. Also by law it is my full right to return anything that im not satisfied with within 30 days and i get full refund. Even there store policy is that if you are not satisfied then you are given a full refund no questions asked, i didnt want to return them and so i asked them to beat it and they did.

What's unethical? If he returns the speakers in perfect condition -- the dealer is out nothing. In this case, the local dealer would have made more money getting the speakers back and selling them to someone willing to pay full price.

I don't understand the Grey Market. How are internet dealers getting this stuff if Klipsch only sends things to their Dealers?

Maybe I am late to the party but I read right your amp is a Scott 299-C.Not a good match for power hungry B&W Nautilus speakers.The best results are obtained with gusty solid state amps like the large Bryston 14B or big FPB Krell amps.Any other powerful quality solid state would go fine.

Low power tubes match much better with large classic Klipsch,RF7's would be much better candidates compared with the 804's.

Just my two cants