Zebrawood Heresy Progress

garymd

I thought you guys may be interested in the progress Greg is making on the refinishing of my heresys. Pretty impressive!

www.dcchomes.com/Heresy.html

Sorry. I don't know how to give you a direct link.

BTW - That's the puke green grill cloth I was trying to describe a while back.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/27/2003 11:18:53 PM garymd wrote:

I thought you guys may be interested in the progress Greg is making on the refinishing of my heresys. Pretty impressive!

www.dcchomes.com/Heresy.html

Sorry. I don't know how to give you a direct link.

BTW - That's the puke green grill cloth I was trying to describe a while back.
----------------

Those look like they are coming along great Gary. What does a project like that cost and where is Greg located?

Thanks,

----------------

On 12/28/2003 12:19:30 AM Piranha wrote:
Those look like they are coming along great Gary. What does a project like that cost and where is Greg located?

Thanks,

----------------

I would email or pm Greg. I'm not sure what he has in mind as far as doing this for others. He's sort of returning a favor. I picked up a belle for him a few months ago and kept it until 2 weeks ago when he was in the area (sort of). I know he's going to re-veneer his k-horns this winter in zebrawood so he may have his plate full.

If he's willing to offer his services, you'll be very lucky. He does great work as you can see. Greg lives in Maine.

I love this site. Where else can you learn all this stuff?

Inevitably, a couple questions:

where he says he flipped it over, what does that mean? he turned alternating pieces upside down? or turned pieces around rather than over? I didn't quite get this.

and where he says " I used a metal straight edge and cut the edges straight where the two strips met in the middle. " does this mean that the veneer was not pre-edged at the vendors? when I was looking into this a couple months ago some of the ebay veneer vendors advertised that the strips would be joined (edged) before shipping.

I wonder if he is going to use a router to trim the over hang off the edges? They make router bits just for this. This is actually the part I was most worried about, how to make the top outside corners look good.

Tom

hot link to the page.

Dave, did you actually measure a slant riser base from a Heresy to get the dimensions of 3/4" to 2.5"? HDBR Builder in his post says that the front really shouldn't be much more than 1" higher than the rear.

I'll post more pictures and details as things progress and hopefully that will answer any questions. I did that page very quickly last night before going to see Cold Mountain, very sad movie, but very well done.

Greg

Greg,

I measured three different sets of risers - the brand new Mahoganys, the '82 oiled oaks, and the virgin '72 oiled walnuts that I'm sending to Craig. All three spec out the same. The 3/4 of an inch was at the rear.

I would take a look at the room Gary wants the Heresys to be planted. Have him measure the distance from the sweet spot(the mid of the couch or easy chairs) to the middle of the Heresy footprint. From Klipsch, find the vertical dispersion (on axis) for the tweeter at that length, and you can calculate the optimum angle to build the riser.

The longer the throw, the more shallow the angle. For the factory built riser, I'd guess they constructed the riser to project the sweet spot from 14-20 feet in a sitting position. Andy may have written that explanation for the Cornwall, which would need half the angle due to their vertical being twice as much.

How much did you drop to get the zebrawood veneer, and how much fell by the wayside with the normal cursed rips and tears, Greg? Veneering with costly material can be extremely exacting. It's a good thing you're in Maine, so when something slips, you can run outside and scream at the neighboring moose2.gif I lived in Kittery and Durham for close to two years in the mid eighties, back when I was suffering from lack of Klipsch15.gif

"where he says he flipped it over, what does that mean? he turned alternating pieces upside down? or turned pieces around rather than over? I didn't quite get this."

Tom, You open the veneer like a book, That way the two like edges stay together for grain matching.

"and where he says 'I used a metal straight edge and cut the edges straight where the two strips met in the middle. ' does this mean that the veneer was not pre-edged at the vendors? when I was looking into this a couple months ago some of the ebay veneer vendors advertised that the strips would be joined (edged) before shipping."

It is best to do the straight edges after you have acclimated the wood to the moisture content in it's new home. Use a long straight edge clamped to a flat board and a veneer saw to cut the bookmarks evenly. As he said a knife tends to follow the grain and is not recommended for this step.

"I wonder if he is going to use a router to trim the over hang off the edges? They make router bits just for this. This is actually the part I was most worried about, how to make the top outside corners look good."

I found that the router bits like to chip the veneer. So I used the router with a 1/8" thick square flat on the edges, used a razor knife, and sanded the last 1/8". Put the banding on the outside corners last. This leaves a clean edge to the front.

Rick