Turntable Shelves - Recommendations?

eq_shadimar

The trick setup for tt's is a wall shelf - the idea being that the wall does not vibrate like the floor does. Rega sells a shelf but I think it's pricey -- $300 or so.

You could make one yourself from parts from Home Depot so darn easy that you could avoid even using a saw (the screwdriver would still be required) -- just get a couple really massive triangular shelving arms at least 16" deep and have them cut a 5/8" piece of MDF to fit. Bet you would walk out for a lot less than $50.

If you have a cement floor vibration may not be an issue. Then a floorstander would make sense.

I also have used wall shelves (Target). And they can work well. One thing I will recommend is that you actually play your system at a good volume and place your hand on the wall you plan on mounting the shelf. Sometimes you will be surprised as the wall in my house actually ended up being an insane transducer of vibrations, even more so than my heavy, threaded rod stand. It ended up not being a good solution where I thought it would be so make sure you do some testing.

I also second the rec above about the importance of placing the shelf into at least one stud. One trick is to make a nice wood backing plate and mount this into at least TWO of the studs. Then you can mount your stand to this if you find the holes not aligning with your stud placement.

Many have customized their stands and actually added other isolation shelving to them. Take a look at this site online for some excellent ideas on wall shelves and the various mods and ideas. Some have found the Neuance isolation platform to be good even as an addition to the walk rack.

LINK: The Analog Dept - Shelves

A good stand really is critical to the turntable and it can make or break a good setup, at least getting the last bit. Not all stands work with all tables either. At least the wall stand has the potential to really improve upon a poor floor situation; just make sure your walls are not just as bad. A load bearing wall does better.

kh

Humm I do have a cement slab as a floor. I currently have the TT sitting on the fireplace ledge but I wanted something a bit more finished. I will look around just a bit more before I pull the trigger on this. The deal on the shelf will be around for a bit.

Thanks for the ideas!

Years ago when I still worked at Klipsch, I moved into an old raggedy frame house out in the country. It was up on blocks, and had been moved to its location. The wooden floor was so shakey that it was virtually impossible to walk in the living room and run the turntable, but the supporting wall in the living room was solid as a rock.

I ran a couple of eye bolts into the bottom of the trusses through the ceiling, about 18" out from the wall, even with the studs in the wall. Then I suspended two chains from these eye bolts. The chains ran through holes drilled in the front corners of 3/4" plywood shelves, and the shelves were supported by short sections of "all-thread" rod run UNDER the holes, but through a link in each chain at each corner hole up front. The shelves were mounted with piano hinge to boards that were screwed through the paneling into the wall studs. The piano hinge helped to isolate the shelves from any wall vibrations. My reel-to-reel was on the top shelf, and it weighed a ton, the second shelf had my turntable, and the next lower shelf had my cassette deck, with my heavy as hell receiver under that on the lowest shelf. All of that weight made for a stable turntable platform, level too! Suspended shelving like this can work wonders for turntable problems!! Voila'...no more turntable problems...no feedback, either...time to crank it up, and I did!2.gif