Preamp suggestions for a a pair of Dynaco Mark III's?

Piranha

OK guys, Now that I have a Scott 299D (NOSValves), I would like to try out some Mark III's with my Cornwall and LaScalas. Can anyone offer me preamp suggestions for them?

And would you please tell me if you have personally listened to what you're recommending and the reasons you like it.

Thanks in advance for your time!

A lot of good stuff in that range.

Craig likes the Mapletree Audio units, and I have to agree. Craig uses the Signature Edition of the line 2A, and I heard the unit back in November. I thought it sounded great.

I kind of like The Octal 6A SE, but I think I just like the looks better, and the fact that it can be used in either SRPP OR Cathode Follower is kind of unique. It even has a passive circuit, so it's basically the same as owning three preamps.

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

O6Aside1small.jpg

O6Aspecialunder.jpg

----------------

On 1/4/2004 12:20:59 PM DeanG wrote:

Craig likes the Mapletree Audio units, and I have to agree. Craig uses the Signature Edition of the line 2A, and I heard the unit back in November. I thought it sounded great.

I kind of like The Octal 6A SE, but I think I just like the looks better, and the fact that it can be used in either SRPP OR Cathode Follower is kind of unique. It even has a passive circuit, so it's basically the same as owning three preamps.

O6Aside1small.jpg"

O6Aspecialunder.jpg"
----------------

Thanks Dean. Can you poiint me somewhere that I can get info on Mapletree Audio? Is it vintage or new gear?

I will ask Craig what he thinks since I will be talking to him soon about the MK III's.

----------------

On 1/4/2004 2:45:49 AM Piranha wrote:

OK guys, Now that I have a Scott 299D (NOSValves), I would like to try out some Mark III's with my Cornwall and LaScalas. Can anyone offer me preamp suggestions for them?

And would you please tell me if you have personally listened to what you're recommending and the reasons you like it.

Thanks in advance for your time!
----------------

Forgot to mention that I will not be spinning vinyl. Only playing CD/SACD.

I have personally heard the same Mapletree Dean refers to.

And the Scott 130 with the Mark IIIs.

The Scott has a great warm tube sound but a bunch of extra circuits for the different RIAA PHONO options. Maybe a little less depth of soundstage than the Mapletree.

Mapletree

Mark IIIs

LaScalas

At Craig's lab is one of the top 3 systems I have ever heard.

But of course I am low budget opinionated pond scum.

Oh gee, I flamed myself.

----------------

On 1/4/2004 2:41:15 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

I have personally heard the same Mapletree Dean refers to.

And the Scott 130 with the Mark IIIs.

The Scott has a great warm tube sound but a bunch of extra circuits for the different RIAA PHONO options. Maybe a little less depth of soundstage than the Mapletree.

Mapletree

Mark IIIs

LaScalas

At Craig's lab is one of the top 3 systems I have ever heard.

But of course I am low budget opinionated pond scum.

Oh gee, I flamed myself.
----------------

Are you referring to his MK III's with the line 2A and LaScalas?

Thanks,

The Line 2A for CD spinners and the Ultra 4A for people that also spin vinyl is the safe bet. While Dean may think the concept of the Octal 6 is cool and it may look nice to Dean. The fact is no one around here has heard the preamp so who knows what it sounds like just because one product offering from a company sounds great doesn't mean they all do!! Big Gamble for sure. Lloyd at Mapletree is a great guy but when his standard version of the Ultra 4A arrived here I was not impressed. After some major tweaking I ended up with a preamp that sounds great on are horn speakers this is where the SE (special addition) and tube rectified power supply came from that he now offers. They were my suggestions not that it was rocket scientist changes ! The Tube rectified PS is a upgrade more from the respect that it has a much stiffer and cleaner Power supply not that it is just tube rectified. The SS rectified unit with similar filtering sounds about the same but he doesn't offer it with the siffer PS filtering and the tube rectified unit looks better so....

Dean your reminding me of someome here and it isnt pretty 2.gif

----------------

On 1/4/2004 4:26:49 PM NOSValves wrote:

The Line 2A for CD spinners and the Ultra 4A for people that also spin vinyl is the safe bet. While Dean may think the concept of the Octal 6 is cool and it may look nice to Dean. The fact is no one around here has heard the preamp so who knows what it sounds like just because one product offering from a company sounds great doesn't mean they all do!! Big Gamble for sure. Lloyd at Mapletree is a great guy but when his standard version of the Ultra 4A arrived here I was not impressed. After some major tweaking I ended up with a preamp that sounds great on are horn speakers this is where the SE (special addition) and tube rectified power supply came from that he now offers. They were my suggestions not that it was rocket scientist changes ! The Tube rectified PS is a upgrade more from the respect that it has a much stiffer and cleaner Power supply not that it is just tube rectified. The SS rectified unit with similar filtering sounds about the same but he doesn't offer it with the siffer PS filtering and the tube rectified unit looks better so....

Dean your reminding me of someome here and it isnt pretty
2.gif"
----------------

OK, so we have established that the Line 2A, Mark III and LaScala combo sounds great for CD's. Have you ever heard them powering Cornwalls?

Thanks,

Horns are horns ! Klipsch Heritage is Klipsch Heritage ! These combo's sound good on all of them. The Cornwall's are not going to sound like the Lascala or Khorn. Mostly from what I have heard from others and myself (limited listening) they tend not to enjoy the upper SLP clarity of the full horn offering but sound great just the same. Who listens at 110 Db anyway?

Craig

----------------

On 1/4/2004 4:26:49 PM NOSValves wrote:

Dean your reminding me of someome here and it isnt pretty
2.gif"
----------------

Am I sounding like someone else in the Forum? lol

----------------

On 1/4/2004 12:20:59 PM DeanG wrote:

O6Aside1small.jpg"

O6Aspecialunder.jpg"
----------------

Dean,

Are you currently or have you ran an Octal 6A SE? If so, with what amp(s)? Did you run it/them on your Khorns?

Thanks,