$20,000? No thanks:

kenratboy

funny you should ask...I am curently looking for a 50" plasma in the $10k to $15k range (manufacturer's retail) which one can usually find at the $7500 - $9000 range (ex. Pioneer Elites).

I'm certainly not a rich guy - accordingly I would assume that at least some people with lot of money would consider this price too out of line. I mean, come on, a LOT of people buy $50K speakers.

One thing, though, I surely wouldn't drop that price on a Sony and it woudn't come from Crutchfield.

Have you seen the picture on this set? It is one of the best plasma pictures I have ever seen. It rates up there with the best sets out there. The prices are going to drop next year, because sony is working on plasma and lcd only. They are note going to be making the tube tvs anymore. They are going to leave it up to other companies and sell them under the sony name.

Maybe it's jsut sticker shock from a website like that, but if I was going to spend that money on a TV, I would just get a FP unit.

Also, I am not a fan of plasma, because I think most people buy them for the 'wow' factor, and not the quality.

However, compared to the first plasma's I have seen, this latest generation is simply jaw-droping.

I can assure you that someday, when the prices drop, I will own a plasma, if not more than one.

I agree with you Ken. You would practically have to give away a plasma for me to bite when there is so much better for less or even better again for that price. At least it's WXGA but I would sooner go with a 70" Sony XBR Grand WEGA or a 61" Samsung HLM617W or both for that price and still have money left over. Ultimately a digital projector in that price range or even half or quarter that price would be my choice.

I think that there is really no perfect solution on display devices. If you have room for the projection by all means go for it. I have a fairly small room for my ht (house in Chicago - we don't get alot of room like most new construction) so the options are more limited. Frankly I thought the picture on the Grand Wega just blew compared to the better plasmas. Properly calibrated dlp's are a great option if you don't notice the rainbow effect. Rear projection is just not an option (too big and bad viewing angles).

I think the biggest knock oon plasma is price, burn-in, and (possibly) longevity - although I have read that with normal viewing habits sets should go over 10 years. The "wow" factor was probably more of an accurrate critique 3 years ago. The black levels of newer plasmas compete with lcd but don't suffer from ghosting issues.

Let's be frank: right now, you are paying a premium for the technology that makes plasma displays thin ... in 8 to 12 months from now, that tv will be about $10,000 or less and leave more than a few purchasers shaking their heads, asking why they didn't just wait a few months so they could save thousands of dollars.

----------------

On 1/8/2004 10:26:03 AM Jabez Scratch wrote:

Let's be frank: right now, you are paying a premium for the technology that makes plasma displays thin ... in 8 to 12 months from now, that tv will be about $10,000 or less and leave more than a few purchasers shaking their heads, asking why they didn't just wait a few months so they could save thousands of dollars.
----------------

Ain't that the truth...

At Best Buy, their $10,000 plasma's can be purchased by employees for about $4,000 6.gif

----------------

On 1/7/2004 11:25:00 AM easylistener wrote:

Have you seen the picture on this set? It is one of the best plasma pictures I have ever seen. It rates up there with the best sets out there. The prices are going to drop next year, because sony is working on plasma and lcd only. They are note going to be making the tube tvs anymore. They are going to leave it up to other companies and sell them under the sony name.

----------------

Been done for quite some time now, really.

kev313 -- a completely valid response. To benefit from any new technology, the forces of the free market demand that a consumer pay a premium (case in point: plasma displays). I suppose my point was that, after a while, prices do plateau as they inevitably will for plasma displays and cease to be so cost prohibitive for the average consumer. Remember when you couldn't get a DVD player for less than $500? Heck, I remember when VCRs were so new and therefore expensive that video rental stores would rent out (!) VCRs. I recall seeing people walking out of video rental stores w/ a couple of VHS (or BETA!) casettes in one hand and a big, silver briefcase holding a 200 pound clunker of a VCR in the other hand.

Anyways, moral of the story: patience is a virtue with luxury consumer items (I guess!).