Just Another Day at the Factory, Long Ago

WMcD

I just got goosebumps looking at the picture of PWK sitting on the Heresy! I stood in that exact spot shoulder to shoulder with him in the early '80's(I believe not long after the chamber was completed)while he explained its benefits/use to myself and 4 other guys that were invited back to spend a week in Hope at the plant, compound, PWK's home(trains, pianos, lap pool, oh my)and all the Catfish and hushpuppies we could eat in good old Garland. I know there have to be a few others around that know exactly what I am talking about. I will never ever forget that week, It was almost surreal. I remember that standing inside of the anechoic chamber when it was closed, that I/we(including PWK)lost my/our equilibrium/balance because of the absolute eerie, dead silence. You will never experience that kind of silence without being in this type of isolation.

Sorry if I rambled, but seeing that picture took me back to a time in my life to which I look upon with great fondness and absolute reverance. Kind of made me giddy!

Jorjen...

Yep, I remember those GARLAND FISH FRY nites...I wonder if that place is still in existence? But you forgot the all-you-can-eat peel-em & eat-em boiled shrimp! I often wonder whether or not that place ever went under because of our once-a-week trips there...NO WAY did they make a profit from US those nites!! Frosted mugs for your beer were a nice touch, too! We would just walk in and take over an entire room each time we went...put all the tables together and pig-out and party down! If you were there in 1980, then you likely met me at Garland...I was probably seated next to a redheaded gal!

There was another place south of Patmos where we often went on Saturdays for a steak...a HUGE steak...it burned down by the mid-1980's, but it was a little country "convenience" store/gas station, with a small dining area inside...the t-bone steaks completely covered a very large platter in those days...at a very reasonable price!

You are right about the vertigo-like symptoms if you remained for very long inside the closed anechoic chamber...it happened to me too! It is so quiet inside the chamber, that after a bit it seems as if one's ears are beginning to strain to hear any sounds besides one's own breathing and heartbeat!

Paul & Andy,

When I have more time(I could get very long winded about my week in Hope as you could imagine)I definitely have some great memories to share,especially about going to PWK's home.

Garland was definitely something special, right Andy? What a concept, all the Beer, Fried Catfish, Shrimp and Hushpuppies you could handle, I don't see it getting alot better than that. I remember when we left the compound late one afternoon and headed for Garland, we piled into 2 cars. I rode with a young lady from accounts rec.(wish I could remember her name,real sweetheart, as was everyone at Klipsch back then), Chuck Mulhearn(remember Chuck?)and I think his wife or girlfriend and two other guys I cannot remember. It sounded like it was not far, but man it seemed to take along time(with a stop at, was'nt it called "Piss Bridge")to get there. You are right, I remember walking in and basically just taking over the place with our group, but I could see that they were very, very $$$happy$$$(what's a little loss now and again,hehehe)to have us, and I could tell it was not the first time. When exactly did you leave Klipsch Andy? Did I read somewhere it was the late '70's?

I will try to get back to the keyboard later today or so, and try to start at the beginning. Cool stories about PWK's passion for building model railroad, interesting photography techniques(hehehe), his then wife and her Pianos, etc.

This is great, I have not had anyone to share these stories with for about 15 years, who really cares outside this forum. Told my wife of course, but if you do not have Klipsch in your blood, heart and soul like we all do(I am forever indebted to you PWK)the stories and memories just don't mean much.

I left Klipsch in September, 1983. Garland is about 20 miles from Texarkana, but instead of running the interstate to Texarkana, then back-tracking to get to Garland, we normally took the back roads to get there...it was more "fun" that way. In those days, there was normally quite a mix of folks from the office and the plant itself who showed up at Garland for "fish nite"...usually between 20-30 folks total. Most of us would take advantage of the "all you can eat" deal by skipping lunch that day so that we had more room for fish that nite...at least that's what I always did!2.gif