Klf-30 upgrade

mozdaman

Greetings,

I have ben a longtime owner of klipsch products (all Heritage) I have no room for horns or LaScalla's. I purchased the KLF 30's and have been happy with there performance in my HT setup. Are there any mod suggestions? Is there a comp ALK crossover for these speakers? I just can not leave well enough alone, but then again, there is always room for improvement. I am driving them with the following:

Lexicon DC-2

Bryston 9B

MIT T2 Biwire

Silver interconnects

Thanks,

Mike1.gif

I have not seen any x-over tweaks for the KLF's but I might be wrong.

If you have the urge to tweak, you may consider room measurements and treatments. Speakers and the room are the two greatest factors in sound reproduction... so optimizing the room only seems like a logical progression.

Later...

Rob

Mike,

Welcome,

1. Rope Caulk or Dynamat the mid horn and tweeter.

2. Replace the internal wire.

3. Pull the bass ports out and use some silicon to make sure they are not loose.

4. Biwire the speakers. If you dont biwire replace the strap between the LF and HF with speaker wire.

5. Use the spikes that came with the speakers.

That should keep you busy for awhile.

Danny

• 6 months later...

One of many mods I have done to my KLF-30's, was horn damping. I'll give my secret weapon for damping anything...from tone arms to speakers. I've used it for over thirty five years and am always amazed at how it performs, and I buy it by the cases. GREEN FLORAL CLAY! I has the perfect density, sticks to anything, with a vengeance, and is relatively cheap! The clay that I am now using is "Panacea Products Corp.", out of Columbus, Ohio. You can order it through your local arts and crafts store. I have turned my close friends on to it and figure that it's time to let go of my secret. Layer the outside of your horns as thick as possible(several pounds). It helps to warm it up with a heat lamp or microwave. Don't burn yourself! Do not put it around the driver, itself, which needs to dissipate heat from it's voice coil top plate. When you tap on your horns, it will sound like you're tapping on a grave stone. Strangely, I had to pad my midrange down, perhaps to compensate for the the horn becoming more efficient. No horn sound, just music!

I agree. Besides massively damping the horns, I've also swapped the position of the mid and high horns and built extentions to allow me to position the system's voice coil surface plates equidistant from the exact target distance of my ear's normal listeng spot(alot of work, though). I'm very happy with the improvements with inner detail and transients and since the wavelenghts between the woofer to midrange and midrange to tweeter are different, it seemed to improve the vertical lobing effects between these drivers and improved off-axis response for off axis energy that is splayed out into the room. BUT the most fun I am having, right now, is a little mod to the midrange. My midrange became a little to elevated in level when I damped the horns and I began to notice a slight cavity resonace eminating in the horn's round throat. The reduction of the horn's material sound exposed this. I started experiementing with different materials in that portion of the throat and ended up using a piece of automotive headliner material(cloth on foam rubber) that was cut into a trapaziod shape that, when rolled into a cylnder with the cloth side facing the inside of the cylinder, was then inserted into the throat, flush with the exit of the round throat and just extending back past the tip of the phase plug. VIOLA! Do you know the feeling that you get when you postion a sound post, in a stringed instrument, in just the right position or a guitar bridge seated just right? That's what I'm hearing on everthing and I'm spending alot of time re-enjoying my entire CD collection. I also use these speakers as a playback monitoring system for my own recordings and now I'm getting a better idea of what the microphones are giving me.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently dampened my KLF-30's Horns ( hi's & mid's), I just used rope chaulk (couple of rolls )from Home Depot, WOW what a difference this tweak yielded.My system seems to very smooth and more tonaly balanced, I also took DeanG's advice to upgrade the caps in the X/Over with Auricaps which are order and will recieve them on Friday . I'll let you know how that tweak sounds......hopefully by Friday night...

Good-Luck TWEAKING....!!!!!

9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif