Academy center with Cornwalls???

Seadog

Is anyone on these Forums using an Academy center with Cornwall mains, or does anyone have an opinion on that arrangement? I want to upgrade my center speaker, and there is an Academy now on eBay (Im sure most have seen it by now). Presently, I am using two KG4s in mono for a center; not a bad sound, but does not match the Cornwalls very well. Since the Academy appears to have only one horn, will the Academy be much of an improvement over the KG4?

If the Academy is a good match I will bid, if not I will keep waiting to find another solution. Which brings up another question, would a single Heresy be a better match for the Cornwalls than the Academy? Or, should I keep holding out to find a single Belle or La Scala?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

That's a heck of a series of questions1.gif ! IMO, the single LaScala would kick some serious Academy a$$. Same would be said for a single Cornwall. The Hersey would be my 3rd choice. The Academy makes it to the fourth position, but I feel it is in a too close to call tie with a KLF-C7. The guy who won the Academy\Chorus deal recently on e-bay made out like a fat dog scooping both up for a grand. Watch that Academy for the next few days and I won't be suprised if it closes for close to $600. The were a several Academy's on e-bay a few weeks ago and I think one went for the high 400's. Good luck on your quest.

"The guy who won the Academy\Chorus deal recently on e-bay made out like a fat dog scooping both up for a grand"

I guess it's all perspective. I snorted when I saw how much he gave up for that combo. I paid $400 for my Chorus, so that'd mean a $600 Academy. Even at $500-600 for the Chorus, that's $400 to $500 for the Academy. Maybe it's my Scotch blood showing, but I'd never pay that much for an Academy. YOMV, of course. 9.gif

Doug, I said they made out like a fat dog because typically the Chorus sell for around $900 on e-bay. At least when I look up history, that's what they went for. Which means the Academy went for $200 when they have gone for $4-600 in the past. I, like you, got very lucky when I found my '87 OO Cornwalls in perfect condition for $400. And I got lucky again when I found an Academy at a pawn shop for $150. Unfortunately, luck like ours is the exception and not the rule. After a listening session over at Mike Lindsey's house a few years ago, I always thought the Chorus were under appreciated and a lot less expensive than the Cornwalls. Looks like the Chorus have caught up with the Cornwalls in price lately.

If you are primarily interested in movies, I've found the academy a better match than a heresy (I've tried both). Voices seem much clearer to me. Primarily music, definitely the heresy.

If you can fit a large speaker, any heritage other than the heresy is best. If you can only fit a center size speaker, the academy is great. We all know they're overpriced. Nothing we can do about it. Problem is, you can't build one for much cheaper than they cost off ebay according to some of the posts I've read.

The best solution is to build your own center that suits your needs and size. Many here have done that with great results. All parts are available from klipsch.

Do some searches and you'll see the same posts over and over and over and over again.

Thanks for the advice. After reading through most of the considerable number of posts on this subject, I think that what I am missing is the timbre that the K-77 and K-55 are producing in my '79 CW's. To be satisfied, I probably need something like a Heresy (or the custom by Hwatkins would probably do it!). However, I really would like to hear an Academy with large Heritage mains just to compair. For now, I will try turning my KG4's upside down to lower the tweeter to be closer to the listening elevation. They are currently upright on top of the entertainment center.

For now I think I'll hold off on the Academy on eBay.

Well concidering acadamy's are going from 500-650 on ebay. I, like others here have build our own center to match our heritage speakers. I built mine for under 500 and it will kick the crap out of the acadamy and fits right in with the sound I was looking for to come close to matching my La Scala's. If you have the tools and general knowlege of woodworking then you have a good place to start. Many of use here will help you with any questions you have when it comes to the DIY speaker project, just ask.

Scooter

post-8797-1381925144218_thumb.jpg

Scooter,

That's a fine looking DIY center. What drivers are in it? Is that 3/4 birch plywood? What are the outside dimensions?

I do have some basic woodworking skills and tools (table saw), and I'm pretty good with a soldering iron.

An option to buiding something that matches up with my Cornwall would be to try Heresy's in place of the KG4's. I have plenty of room (see photo). If I replace the entertainment center with a big screen HD (looking at the 65" Mitsubishi) I may have to reconsider. It might not handle that much weight.

Seadog

post-14182-1381925144275_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 1/12/2004 7:05:20 PM dougdrake wrote:

"The guy who won the AcademyChorus deal recently on e-bay made out like a fat dog scooping both up for a grand"

I guess it's all perspective. I snorted when I saw how much he gave up for that combo. I paid $400 for my Chorus, so that'd mean a $600 Academy. Even at $500-600 for the Chorus, that's $400 to $500 for the Academy. Maybe it's my Scotch blood showing, but I'd never pay that much for an Academy. YOMV, of course.
9.gif

----------------

Doug, I'm that guy. Would you snort less if you knew they were II's, that since the 10th three sets of Chorus II's have gone for 985, 835, and 910, and since the guy made a newbie error in calculating shipping I only paid 2/3 of the shipping cost?

I got them for better than $300 under market, all things considered, so I'm licking, scratching, and farting even as I type this to you. 9.gif

Arf,

Ed

----------------

On 1/23/2004 3:46:10 PM jhawk92 wrote:

Ah, now it all comes together. I was watching that same auction and was amazed at the closing price. Guess you will really be enjoying that combo, just as I do now. Great buy!

----------------

Thanks! I needed something to go with my Heresies, and what I really wanted was two more sets of those. Pitched it to the spouse, who said she doesn't like the speakers up on stands much and would really rather have something floor-standing.

God, I love that woman.

I got that same combo on Ebay about 5 months ago. I dropped down $925 for it all and I couldn't have been more pleased. Exactly what I wanted to complement the Forte II's I had, which quickly got pushed to the rear channel. I was ready to drop $400 on an Academy easy, but kept getting outbid to $600 on them, when I saw this combo I jumped on it and feel I got a good deal.

Only thing is I wish the Academy was Black and not Walnut, so I could match everything.

Bob

Sounds like you have a great wife. I'm not sure mine really understands my fascination, but she does enjoy the music. She did finally wonder out loud if really good speakers have to be as big as the K-horns, so I think I'm rubbing off on her.

Bob-

Sounds like we have near identical systems. I had Forte IIs in front when I first got the Academy. I was looking to upgrade my surrounds from KG 1.2s, so was trying to decide between another set of Forte IIs or go for a set of Chorus IIs. After some good info from folks here on the board, and several great auditions, I went for the Chorus IIs and they immediately became the L/R mains! I'm happy with a black center, as it blends with the TV. Granted, I'd love to have an OO Academy, but I'll take my $325 Academy any day.