Broke, but wondering - 299C as preamp

ben.

I am absolutely not in the market seriously, but I eventually intend to try quality SE amplification in my Khorn system. Funds are a definite limiting factor, more so than usual. In order to avoid overly cost-compromised designs, I was thinking about first buying a pair of monoblocks, and using my 299C as a preamp.

First off, am I able to remove the power tubes of the Scott in order to save wear? If so, would it be necessary to wire a resistor across the outputs to protect the transformers? I wouldn't think so.

Secondly, is there an output on the Scott that will offer me a variable line level rather than the fixed level that the tape outs provide? (bit of a deal breaker, this one!)

Thirdly, is this just a dumb idea? Seems to me that the consensus (yeah, I know) on the 299C preamp section is that it is more than competent, though I would think that it may not hold up to the better modern designs. Of course, synergy cannot be counted for ahead of time.

I installed pre-outs on one of my 299cs and it works quite well. I have thought often about the tube question and am curious myself.

To install the outputs, I put .1uF caps at the terminal strip by the splitters just before the cap to the grids.

I then ran shielded silver plated wire to gold RCA plugs I installed in an availiable area of the back panel. This allows the use of the phono section, the line section, balance and tone controls. One thing though, this does place a load on the pre-amp section and the volune is reduced on the Sxott's output when cables are connected to the jacks. If there is any interest, I'll take pictures and post them.

Rick

Rick

The cheapest option to get the MOST from your SET monoblocks would be going with a PASSIVE preamp. You could make one very easily or have someone from here cobble one up for you. A few have extras lying around as well. I might even be able to shoot you mine.

Most of the SET options are sensitive enough to be driven by passive preamp or volume control with Klipsch speakers. I have used my current passive with several SET amps and it is the absolute cheapest way to get quality sound given a good source with enough output (a typical 2V from a CDP is ok), short interconnects, and a sensitive enough input via the amp.

While I ultimately think a good active gain stage to be the best alternative, providing more drive and fleshing out the mids and lower mids, most vintage integrateds would take away from some of the qualities that make SET amps stand out. I would use the phono stage of your Scott from the tape outs into the passive. A good passive is always nice to have around for other projects/amps etc.

So find a passive to use. They are EASY to make and more than a few have them around. The Creek passive with REMOTE is cheap used. Someone here had a Creek they were willing to lend the other day... Sheltie DAve? I cant remember who it was but they offered. It's a nice thing to have, actually.

kh

Ben,

Please take a look at:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3071086118&category=39783&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1 .

This was my very first serious preamp. It is solid state but it mated very well with my EAR 509 monoblocks, and has a killer phono stage as well.

You can sell your Scott, buy this one and have enough $ for a basic SET.

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I think I recall someone saying something about running without power tubes, but I just don't know.

Like I said, I've got to vamp for while as far as outgoing $$$$. My wife will be off work until September with the new baby (any day now... I'm losing my mind a bit!). I've got a satisfying system right now, and in the next few weeks will be reintroducing the TT. That will keep me occupied for a while, getting that sprung AR settled in. So, no immediate purchases. I like to direct my train of thought well in advance on these things. I'm glad I did. I can forget about the original idea, and commence fantasizing in another direction. If the Scott circuit is going to seriously compromise the good things that SET offers, why half-*** it? I'll keep the passive route in mind.

Guy, thanks for that rec. I just don't think I could get over my SS bias. If I had it laying around, I'd try it, but I think otherwise, I'm an affirmed valve-snob. I don't know if I could convince myself that it sounds good.

BTW, priority mail went out today, with the manual. Thanks again. Oh-cheap discs seem to work fine for me, too!

Ben,

I know that it's difficult to get over the SS bias, but if you do- this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3071933905&category=50593 was designed by the tube guru, T de P of EAR, when he was working for the Lux corporation in the 70's (he also designed Artto's amps). It is SS but does sound great too. Actually, I've heared it put a Modulus 3A to shame, few months ago.

----------------

On 1/14/2004 3:30:44 PM 3dzapper wrote:

I installed pre-outs on one of my 299cs and it works quite well. I have thought often about the tube question and am curious myself.

To install the outputs, I put .1uF caps at the terminal strip by the splitters just before the cap to the grids.

I then ran shielded silver plated wire to gold RCA plugs I installed in an availiable area of the back panel. This allows the use of the phono section, the line section, balance and tone controls. One thing though, this does place a load on the pre-amp section and the volune is reduced on the Sxott's output when cables are connected to the jacks. If there is any interest, I'll take pictures and post them.

Rick

Rick

----------------

Rick,

Not sure what you did but I had no such effect the way I suggested you do it !

Ben,

Never run your amp without the output tubes there drawing current the B+ will sky rocket and blow up the filter cans. What your wanting to do is a simple task that I could probably walk you through on the phone. Just let me know ! It works real well but of coarse by no means the end all.

Craig

Craig,

Thanks for the offer and the warning. I will keep it in mind. I was just sort of thinking aloud (online?). I'm glad to know that it can be done with a simple mod. I may still try it, at some later date. Is there a way to simply (and reversibly) eliminate the OP tubes from the circuit. It doesn't make sense to me to do this and be wearing out 7591A's at the same time. It'd be cheaper to buy a pre!!

My experience agrees with 'Mobile'. I'm using a cheap Sony DVP S7000 cdp, Bottlehead Paramour mono 2A3s, and Forte II's, with a $15 DIY Radio Shack passive. The sound is truly amazing, great dynamics, soundstage, clarity, and balance. I have no desire to replace my homemade device with any other passive or active preamp. So, for around $600 you can have your complete amplifier system. Also, the DIY Paramours can be extensively upgraded.

Regards,

Dennis

Ben,

Not any easy way ! The tranformer and entire PS is designed to power all the tubes in the amp of which the output tubes draw the most current. When you remove them the B+ will exceed the ratings of the cans easily. If it was me I wouldn't run those NOS RCA's you have for sure. I would never do this long term anyway because like you say its pretty crazy to burn up output tubes and electricity when there just sitting there silent. But as a stop gap ?

I personally could never live without a Active preamp stage I just like the way they sound much better.

Craig

----------------

On 1/14/2004 9:21:23 PM NOSValves wrote:

Ben,

Not any easy way ! The tranformer and entire PS is designed to power all the tubes in the amp of which the output tubes draw the most current. When you remove them the B+ will exceed the ratings of the cans easily. If it was me I wouldn't run those NOS RCA's you have for sure. I would never do this long term anyway because like you say its pretty crazy to burn up output tubes and electricity when there just sitting there silent. But as a stop gap ?

I personally could never live without a Active preamp stage I just like the way they sound much better.

Craig
----------------

What about something similar to what you did to my 299D? Or did you already mention that and I missed it?