A good SACD player for under $250???

om13934

sony did create the technology, but thier pruducts suck, and still sound like boom boxes, my son has 1 in his room, but he likes that artificial sound? remember you get what you pay for, save a little and step up in price range, when you pay that little you always sacrifice something> build? electronics? transformers?12.gif

Multi-channel sacd playback or 2 channel?

Sony did create sacd but, in my experience, you get what you pay for with sony. For example, and again thi is only MY experience, I have seen some of the best buy prog scan dvd products. They do not compare with the picture quality of my sony 9000es player. Generally more $ = better components = better performance.

My unit also has sacd playback - albeit in 2 channel mode only. I find the sound to be, in many cases, a nice improvement over red book on amy Rega. I have read, however, that one does not gain much improvement on lower end sacd players. Again, I have NO experience with those models. You may want to check the 2 channel forum on this point. Also, I seem to recall Phillips dvd/sacd models getting great reviews at a price not too far outside your range ($400ish). You may want to check those out.

I have one of those <$200 Sony SACD players and I'll say, it depends.

If you use a regular DVD player as your CD player than you may see a huge improvement in Redbook as I did. If your in the market for an inexpensive player then yeah, the entry level Sony's work great compared to a 4 year old $500 DVD player.

But, you do get what you pay for. If you want to be wow'd by SACD IMHO you need to spend more than $250 to reap the benifits. (Again IMHO) At the entry level there really isn't much difference in sound between Redbook and SACD, where vinyl will still run circles around them both.

As always with audio this is MHO and YMMV.

The Pioneer DV-563A is both DVD-Audio and SACD and works great, comparable to some I've heard that cost 3-4 times it's meager $150 price. An absolute steal in a 'universal' player. I've been using it for a few months, waiting for the higher end universals to drop a bit in price and have been very satisfied with it.

Regards,

Dave

i am not really concerned about who reads my posts keith. truth of the matter is i had pioneer, yammi, sony, denon, rotel, all in house when i began having trouble with my rotel gear, most models i heard never even lasted 1 song in store, much less going home with me they sounded so bland. because i had time to make my purchase i researched after listening. unfortunatly for my budget everything that brought out the qualities inherient in sacd, dvd-a, dvd all were over 300, and as the abilities of the machines increased so did the price. seperate transformers, seperate optical readers, bass managment.......... all came at a price, the absolute worst was sony, hands down, the bass was so overstated, it overpoered the musical presention. there was a post a few months back asking about audio purchases last year, all it did was make me smile, the reason was that i had wasted so much money time and effort buying low to middle of the road electronics to save a few bucks. my son now owns some of those items, my brother others, some i gave away. klipsch quickly showed me that all corners cut could be heard coming through my speakers. blanket statement? experience through research and money unwisely spent is more the reason for my statements. i wonder why people in this forum are always upgrading????12.gif

I think basically stating all sony products suck is a blanket statement. I own 2 SCD-C555ES SACD units and they are excellent, well built units. They only play SACD and regular CD. No DVD-A and no DVD. You get what you pay for. They are built like tanks and are a bargain on the used market if you can get one for under $500.

you are right gary, i make the statement because of my experience with thier products, when i was starting out i had nothing but sony, md players, md cd player/ burners, lack luster headphones, cell phones, all had problems and sony all but told me you bought them, now they are your problem. once i experienced this i never tried any of thier upper end stuff12.gif

I've owned many many Sony products. An early 2 head VCR, one of the first AM/FM Walkmans, their top of the line ES receivers, TV's as old as 1991, and on and on. I still have them all and none of them have ever failed( the Walkman fell out of a car that was moving 30 MPH. It still works today).

Sony makes some of the most reliable products on the market.

Keith

Thanks for the extra info. I haven't ever had any terrible experiences with sony. Seems to me they have all been built fairly well, but lean a lot toward the sound preferences of the designer, and leave little to be tweaked toward my listening preferences. I haven't ever been able to put my finger on exactly what I didn't care for. Just my experience though. Thanks again!

On a side note, can you beleive that their new es line of speakers can reach a screeming 70khz.!?! Most high end receivers from denon, yamaha, hk, and others only support up to 20khz and they are marketing these as home theater speakers? Shed some light on that mystery if you can. Sounds like a waste of material and just specs to lure the unsuspecting audiophile into their realm of poor sound reproduction. Possibly over rated?

no blanket statement here.....

my sony dat player - model # 75es is 14 years old and still works and sounds fantastic....

i also have the DVP-NC-650V sacd/dvd changer and contrary to your experiences.... it has a great sound.... testing in the store against the denon 2200...sounded very, very close.... definitely not worth the extra money for the denon... (that was over a year ago)...

my sony camcorder is still perfect after 3 years of use (lots of use)....