Help on LaScalas for those in the know

Piranha

I have a line on a pair of LaScala about six hours driving time from me.

The owner says they are 1974 vintage and that the serial numbers are LS-BR 3N003 and 3N004.

He says they are alnico K-77 tweeter, K-55V mid, and K-33 woofer.

Can anyone verify this info to be true for me? He is asking $1000. Is that fair?

Thanks!

Pirhana, does the six hours mean up in Frisco? My wife's best friend is calling tomorrow, so I'll have a name, #, and e-mail if you need transport arrangements from central CA if you want. Wes's brother is a picky SOB re stereo stuff and probably could give you a gratis inspection report if they are in the Bay(not LITERALLY)2.gif

----------------

On 1/17/2004 9:16:38 PM jnorv wrote:

They seem to go for $800 to $1200 on Ebay. Depends on the individual deal. I have a pair of raw birch, 1978's that I am thinking about selling. I was thinking of offering them at $1000.

Jim N----------------

Do your 78's have the same components as 1975 vintage Lascala? What condition are yours in?

Thanks,

----------------

On 1/17/2004 9:35:55 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

N = 1975

for a grand with no shipping, it's a middle of the road deal. They should be nice for that money.

He's got the components right, they should have AA crossovers. These are really a pretty good vintage, pretty hard to beat.

Tom----------------

Thanks Tom. Then they are exactly what I have been looking for. The only isssues now are price and distance. I talked to the seller and verified that he is the original owner of the Lascala. He assured me that they were in mint condition. He said he had hand finished them in Watco medium walnut Danish oil.

I think I would gladly pay him $800-850 if he'd accept that, and drive to Phoenix to get them. But I am not sure about paying $1K for a 6-7 hour drive each way.

Patience Piranha, patience.

----------------

On 1/17/2004 11:24:06 PM sheltie dave wrote:

Pirhana, does the six hours mean up in Frisco? My wife's best friend is calling tomorrow, so I'll have a name, #, and e-mail if you need transport arrangements from central CA if you want. Wes's brother is a picky SOB re stereo stuff and probably could give you a gratis inspection report if they are in the Bay(not LITERALLY)
2.gif
----------------

Sheltie,

The person with the 75's lives in Phoenix. There is also a guy that I am talking to just north of Fresno that has a pair of 79's for $875.

And I just noticed by his profile that Forum member, jnorv lives in the San Jose area.

He posted in this thread about the possibility of selling his 1978's.

I just may be in need of transport from No Cal or Central Cal if I cannot talk my neighbor into letting me borrow his El Camino (a real possibility). Thanks for your help and referral. Much appreciated.

----------------

On 1/18/2004 2:53:54 AM smilin wrote:

Good luck on the scala's, and hope ya find them closer than 12 hour drive, Unless thear a steal
6.gif9.gif
----------------

Hey thanks Steve.

Well, I might not get them unless I can buy a pair for $800. TIme is money. And having to do a 12-14 hour turnaround is worth a lot of money to me.

Maybe I'll just be patient and look for another pair of CW's (Old) or step up to some Khorns.

Who's coming to your bash on the 25th? Who's on the confirmed list of attendees?

Hey, I'm in Phoenix. I'll help you out with this deal if you need it. I can pick them up for you, park them until you can get here. I might even be tempted to meet you part way with them.

AHA!!! see this dead auction.

guy bailed on the auction in the last minute or so. the bid was at about $690, I was in the middle of submitting a bid for $731 or so. He really pissed a couple guys in Phx off. I was second high bidder, another Phx guy was first. We both filed written complaints with ebay about the guy. His ebay ID is/was buybuy77. I think he was bummed because the price was low, there were several pair of LS on ebay at the time, the market was saturated. Frzinvt from here on the board had a pair up about the same time, but I lost track of what happened to his. I think he was protected by a high opening bid.

However, none of this has anything to do with you, so my offer stands. They look great in the auction pics, like he said.

Tom

----------------

On 1/18/2004 10:03:39 AM Tom Mobley wrote:

Hey, I'm in Phoenix. I'll help you out with this deal if you need it. I can pick them up for you, park them until you can get here. I might even be tempted to meet you part way with them.

AHA!!! see

guy bailed on the auction in the last minute or so. the bid was at about $690, I was in the middle of submitting a bid for $731 or so. He really pissed a couple guys in Phx off. I was second high bidder, another Phx guy was first. We both filed written complaints with ebay about the guy. His ebay ID is/was buybuy77. I think he was bummed because the price was low, there were several pair of LS on ebay at the time, the market was saturated. Frzinvt from here on the board had a pair up about the same time, but I lost track of what happened to his. I think he was protected by a high opening bid.

However, none of this has anything to do with you, so my offer stands. They look great in the auction pics, like he said.

Tom
----------------

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for your kind offer to help me out on these Lascalas. I really appreciate that.

Yes from what you're saying and the old eBay auction it is the same guy. All of the background you gave me here makes me more nervous about dealing with him. Plus I really don't want to pay a grand and spend 6-7 hours each way driving to Phoenix and back.

He says they are mint and that he's firm on the $1K. Says if he doesn't get it they go to his son. I would sure be nice to see them before spendingthat much. Maybe I should offer him $900 and see what happens.

Thanks again for your offer to help!

On the Scalas. 1K is fair if they are nice. With that amount of travel time, as you say, your time is worth something. I was able to luck into a pair of VERY nice walnut '73 khorns for $1303. 150 miles each way to pick up. Your in spitting distance right there.

If I my foresight was as good as my hindsite, I wouldn't have fooled around with LaScalas. For what it takes to get nice Scalas, Khorns aren't that far ahead and I was surprised as heck that the folded horn of the khorn sounds that much better than Scala. The difference is significant.

----------------

On 1/18/2004 4:29:15 PM DaddyDee wrote:

On the Scalas. 1K is fair if they are nice. With that amount of travel time, as you say, your time is worth something. I was able to luck into a pair of VERY nice walnut '73 khorns for $1303. 150 miles each way to pick up. Your in spitting distance right there.

If I my foresight was as good as my hindsite, I wouldn't have fooled around with LaScalas. For what it takes to get nice Scalas, Khorns aren't that far ahead and I was surprised as heck that the folded horn of the khorn sounds that much better than Scala. The difference is significant.
----------------

I wouldn't mind a pair of Khorns too. In fact I'll buy a pair of them on the spot if I can get a very nice pair for $1300 like you did. Unfortunately those type of deals don't come along very often. If anyone has Khorns for that price or close to please let me know.

Thanks,