Guess what's in the crate!

Parrot

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/6/2004 7:21:26 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I know what you mean, Dean. DOH! I started using it about 10 years ago after talking to the Herman Miller sales rep who told me what they were using on the Eames stools. It is ESPECIALLY nice with walnut as you probably know! I can't say enough good things about it. I have used straight BLO and it takes MUCH longer to dry and has a far more pronounced odor. I don't know why that is--I know that Gunstock Oil is some sort of blend that is primarily BLO, but I have found it much easier to use. Maybe someone here knows why? I have never thought about it--I just use the stuff!! It is more expensive to be sure, but unless you are in a production shop the difference in price is really of no consequence.

WALNUT_STOOLSAR2.jpg"
----------------

Sorry guys, I realize this is probably more suitable for the Update and Mods section, but my interest is peaked on this subject. So please bear with me.

Sounds logical. Maybe Gunstock Oil is a mixture of BLO and mineral spirits (MS)? In the Update and Mods section some have mentioned thinning BLO with MS to help ease of application and quicker drying time. I would think the addition of MS would also help to clean the impurities in the finish if any. I am curious about the wax. What kind do you use and how does one apply it? I imagine periodically you could use MS to strip the wax, then you could reapply the GO or BLO cut with MS and then rewax your loudspeaker? Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Once a year treatment? Really? This seems like overkill to me unless you live in an envronment with very low humidity and perhaps leave your cabinets in direct sunlight some of the time. Every five years would do for most folks in most situations. Not that a once a year refinishing would hurt anything, but it sure is a lot of work for little gain as far as I can see. Or maybe I'm just lazy!