Guess what's in the crate!

Parrot

Myhamish,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the room makes all the difference in the world. Since the time I bought the Klipschorns in 1987, they've been in I don't know how many apartments and houses, I'd estimate around a dozen. Then in each of those places, I'd try them along all the possible walls. In the last house I had them set up in three different rooms and with several different layouts. They'd been in big rooms three separate times over the years, but never in anything like this room with the sloping walls of the second story, going up to the peak of 26 feet. I've never read anything about sloping walls as far as acoustics go except for a positive comment artto mentioned in passing the other day. I imagine the non-parallel surfaces and the cedar boards have a lot to do with it.

I guessed this room would work really well with all the cubic feet but I was still surprised, later, at just how well. The previous owners didn't have even a boombox in the room, let alone a proper stereo, just a TV, which was a real waste. To think that this room was underappreciated and never got to show what it was made of, for 20 years!

Anyway, I think the first thing I played in here was Mahler's 6th Symphony, and it made the hair on my arms stand up straight. As a matter of fact, I called NOSValves and told him "You gotta hear this room!" He thought that was pretty funny, since you normally think more about how equipment sounds or recordings sound. There's very little diminishment of volume anywhere in the room, or even up in the loft, so it's anything but a dead room. At the same time, it's not too live.

When I told regular friends that we bought the house because of this room, and that it was the best sounding one I'd ever heard, you should have seen the funny looks. Most of them couldn't relate to the concept at all.

Of course it's not easy to have a big room for Khorns, not like swapping patch cords or something. I rejected many houses when we were looking, for precisely that reason. But I think nothing can compare, in realizing the full potential of Khorns, to giving them lots of room to breathe.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/6/2004 8:20:51 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

There was no forklift involved, as we speak, our dear writer is still picking his 'nads up off the parking lot! LOL

Beautiful room, layout and speakers. Careful with that direct sunlight though, it'll fade and dry veneer in a couple of seasons. And get that dam# cat out of the speaker. Nice idea with the glass tops. It's very inexpensive to do and gives real peace of mind, especially when cabinets are being used as perch. How do you keep from having the scratching post effect?

Michael

----------------

Thanks, Michael. The new dog keeps the cats off this floor pretty well now! The cats all had their front claws removed as kittens anyhow.

The glass tops are actually plexiglas, and Triceratops, the previous owner of this pair of Belles, had those cut. Definitely useful during parties, when people like to put drinks and plates on top of convenient speaker surfaces.

I keep the speakers oiled every so often.

Commercial lemon oil furniture cleaners and polishes are for the most part worthless--they make the wood look nice and shiny for a little while and aid in dusting, but that's about it-they do little to "preserve" or "protect" no matter what claims are made. They are for the most part petroleum derivatives with a bit of lemon oil or sometimes just artificial lemon scent. No harm in using these products but no real benefit over a lightly damp cloth either.

Gunstock oil applied with 0000 steel wool every few years followed by a nice coat of wax is all our oil-finish Klipsch speakers really need. You can strip the wax with one of these lemon-oil products and re-wax from time to time if it makes you feel better.

You can still guess, Jim, but unfortunately your guess wasn't right. The crate is in the barn and I store cardboard mailing boxes and bubble wrap and styrofoam peanuts, that kind of stuff in it. Also, mice like to live in it in the winter.

----------------

On 12/6/2004 5:06:09 PM paulparrot wrote:

..."but unfortunately your guess wasn't right."

----------------

Nuts.7.gif

Reckon I isn't too smart afterall.

It would suck if them mice get too cozy in there and make a rat's nest of it. Before them damn rodents ruin it, you could loan it out to other forum members who need a solo La Scala/Belle crate (like the Cornwall crates). You'd be a hero to many and your crate would travel the globe.2.gif

Gunstock oil? Are you serious? If so that is a new one on me. Where do you get the stuff? And how is it better for a Heritage oil finish than BLO or anything else?

I thought HDBRBulider and Klipsch specifically recommend using BLO on their oil finishes since that is what they use in Hope? And I also thought I read that Andy said never use any product with wax in it because it clogs the pores?

Man o' man. All the contradiction is very confusing. I wish Andy or someone that is currently working at Klipsch would chime in here to confirm the "official" recommendation(s) for maintaining oil finishes on Heritage products.

Thanks!

Hey, what about flaxseed oil? It seemed to do wonders for Bonds. 2.gif

Gunstock oil is available at any sporting goods or firearms retailer. It's cheap and easier to use than straight BLO. I've used it for years on classic Danish Modern furniture in the Prop House and it's great. Nothing wrong with waxing after oiling--been doing that for years as well--it all depends on how much sheen you want. Just don't build up coat after coat of wax. Herman Miller has been using gunstock oil on Noguchi coffee table bases and Eames stools for years. It's a great finish . . .

image?saleitemid=326934

I know what you mean, Dean. DOH! I started using it about 10 years ago after talking to the Herman Miller sales rep who told me what they were using on the Eames stools. It is ESPECIALLY nice with walnut as you probably know! I can't say enough good things about it. I have used straight BLO and it takes MUCH longer to dry and has a far more pronounced odor. I don't know why that is--I know that Gunstock Oil is some sort of blend that is primarily BLO, but I have found it much easier to use. Maybe someone here knows why? I have never thought about it--I just use the stuff!! It is more expensive to be sure, but unless you are in a production shop the difference in price is really of no consequence.

WALNUT_STOOLSAR2.jpg

----------------

On 12/6/2004 6:45:50 PM Piranha wrote:

Man o' man. All the contradiction is very confusing.

----------------

Well, I've tried them all over the years. I would never suggest waxing as it tends to deaden the last vestiges of the decays of transients. Gun stock oil is for gun stocks, duh! It produces unnatural, overly etched, almost ballistic percussion. Olive oil sounds a little harsh, depending on its exact vintage and origins, but lemon oil yields sweet music.

----------------

On 12/6/2004 7:38:37 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

On 12/6/2004 6:45:50 PM Piranha wrote:

Man o' man. All the contradiction is very confusing.

----------------

Well, I've tried them all over the years. I would never suggest waxing as it tends to deaden the last vestiges of the decays of transients. Gun stock oil is for gun stocks, duh! It produces unnatural, overly etched, almost ballistic percussion. Olive oil sounds a little harsh, depending on its exact vintage and origins, but lemon oil yields sweet music.

----------------

Now THAT'S funny!