Guess what's in the crate!

Parrot

I skipped page one to save time. So that B*****D triceratops sent you 2 cats and a dog sealed in a crate.

Look at the poor things - so used to living in a box they made straight for your speakers.

Still at least that cat isnt starving...

I hope you called the RSPCA* or better yet the RSPEKO*

* Royal society for the prevention of cruelty to animals

** Royal society for the prevention of envy amongst Klipsch owners

Nice speakers by the way - another damn klipsch I have never heard!!! (I thought I had - I was sure I had - but it turns out they were black LaScala's dolled up to look like Belles - a bit - in a bad light - look it was ages ago and I didnt know Klipsch speakers well then - OK.)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the family departed this morning and I'd fed the dog, the cats, and the birds (suet and birdseed, outside), I hooked up and positioned the Belles. I have Klipschorns L and R, another Belle for Center, and had been using Heresy II for L and R surround. (This is for multichannel SACD.) I figured that replacing the Heresies with Belles was a little extravagant and probably overkill. Well, extravagant, I guess, but overkill, NO WAY!

WOW!

I'd intended to sit down to listen to "Bruckner Sym. No. 9" all the way through, but I couldn't, the sound was just too amazing. I had to get up and try another disc, and then another. Igor Stravinsky to Bob Dylan, Miles Davis to Gustav Mahler, Dave Brubeck to Billie Holiday, I wanted to check out everything. Fortunately I have 40 or 50 multi channel SACDs to listen to, so this will be a long and extended period of fun.

I knew the center was vitally important in multichannel because I had previously experienced great results when switching from a Heresy center to a Belle center. But I didn't think I'd gain that kind of improvement again in replacing the surround speakers. But I was wrong, and it makes a big difference to have this seamless speaker configuration. I am not surprised at the improvement when there is a lot of direct musical content in the surrounds, like with the LAGQ or Jeff Beck, but am pleasantly surprised at the easily noticeable benefit to ambient info as well. Just another one of those things in which you don't know what you've been missing until you experience it yourself.

I have had 5 Heresies total now and think they're great, but they really are a compromise when mixing with Khorns, Belles, and presumably La Scalas. I think if I were forced to have at least 3 Heresies in a multichannel system, I'd go for 5 matched ones instead, over 3 Heresies and 2 of something else. If someone were primarily 2-channel stereo, it would be a reasonable choice to have the two main speakers be better and the surrounds compromised, but just realize that there really and truly is a compromise involved.

----------------

On 1/19/2004 9:55:04 PM stan krajewski wrote:

Beautiful! Enjoy them in good health.

If you don't mind, what is your setup? And what did you have previous to these Belles?

Please leave listning impressions and more pics. I for one am interested.

When I get new digs, I'll upgrade from my Heresys and the Belles might certainly be one way to go. Not that there is anything wrong with the Heresys. They sing to me every day.
----------------

Hi Stan,

For amps I use KT66/6L6 Pilot and Stromberg Carlson monoblocks from the 1950s. My center amp is waiting to be rebuilt, so right now I'm using an EICO HF-12 in that spot.

I suppose it's the superior bass of the Belles that I am reacting to. The only word to describe it I can think of right now is seamless. Before it seemed fine, and my attitude was like How big of a deal is it really, to have less-than-equal speakers for surround; it's just ambience, who cares. But it actually makes a startling difference. And again, I don't want to criticize the Heresies. I've enjoyed them in many different locations over the years.

I'm working on more pics but the light isn't cooperating just yet.

I told you in another topic that you would be much better off with the Belles. There is nothing like using the same speakers for all your channels. Horn Ed would commend you, and write about two pages here on being timbre matched. Enjoy.

Paul,

No one does untill they try it. That's one reason why I keep building different bass horns and tweaking speakers. I have to try almost everything that someone says is better,to find out if it's true or not. Sometimes it leads to good things.

These pictures are kind of tough to make out, but I don't have a wide angle lens and the light isn't great right now. It'll suffice to show the speaker placement, though.

The left side shot has the left surround Belle at the far left, the left Khorn in the middle, and the center Belle at the right of the picture. The right side shot has the center Belle barely visible at the far left, the right Khorn in the middle, and the right surround Belle on the right, partially obscured by the woodburning stove.

leftroom.jpg

rightroom.jpg

----------------

On 1/20/2004 12:54:30 PM paulparrot wrote:

These pictures are kind of tough to make out, but I don't have a wide angle lens and the light isn't great right now. It'll suffice to show the speaker placement, though.

The left side shot has the left surround Belle at the far left, the left Khorn in the middle, and the center Belle at the right of the picture. The right side shot has the center Belle barely visible at the far left, the right Khorn in the middle, and the right surround Belle on the right, partially obscured by the woodburning stove.

leftroom.jpg"

rightroom.jpg"
----------------

Your house looks beautiful. That is one nice looking HT. Maybe one day I'll have a surround system that's as nice? I hope so anyways.

Paul,

I'm glad you considered my advice and talked to Triceratops again. The Walnut Belles are among the most beautiful speakers ever to leave Hope!

And, best of all, you have THE chair that establishes you as lord and master of all your manor. It is truly only when your butt is planted in a comfy chair that you are King of your castle...my best chair is still the porcelein throne, but Weekends Only should have a suitable replacement in a few weeks. Come on, refund check!

Hey Paul,

Great looking speakers and your room looks terrific! I hope to let my KHorns breath like that some day. It's funny how these things attract the felines. Though my cats should have feathers, if I brought home new enclosures like that it would take them a few days to gather up the courage to get near them. I'll bet they don't stay in them while they're crankin'! 1.gif

Sheltie Dave, I'm lord and master only to the animals. But I agree, a comfortable chair enhances listening pleasure.

Andy, thanks. The cats and the dog never get upset by my taste in music, or in the volume. I listen loud only when the material calls for it. Symphonies, for instance, are a drag when played quietly.

Paul, a most beautiful setup, and the Belle Klipsch for your surround channels make a dramatic addition both aurally and visually. Your pets are very fortunant to be able to enjoy multichannel SACDs...my 4 cats are just stuck with two-channel stereo CDs, but they're not complaining (unless I really blast my Cornwalls)! Enjoy!

Paul,

The whole set-up looks great! Thanks for taking and posting all the photos--it was really cool to see those speakers in their new home.

By the way, I sent out the removed logo and paperwork on Tuesday, so you will probably receive that stuff around the end of the week.

Best in horns,

triceratops