Read this if you have a cat:

kenratboy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clue... Sorry but I just don't share your same feelings about keeping a cat inside. To me that takes away the very thing that makes them a cat. They want to be outside and on the prowel. We have two cats and they have always been given the freedome to come and go. Matter of fact I put in a kitty door just to make it easy on both them and me. If I lived in the middle of the city I might share you view, but I live in an area where we have a yard and what not...

Moon -

I was always of the same state of mind until I had to face my kitties in deadly circumstances.

My cats lived in Garland, Tx for awhile...condos. traffic..Never had a problem

Now we all live in south jersey, our house is on 4 acres and...Wildlife, wildlife. I found a rabbit eviscerated on my lawn.. Yuck..COON/POSSUM. Bubba the squirrel rules the roof, and the deer eat my hostas...Safe environment for a DOMESTIC CAT probably not.

Bascially, the way you treat your pets, is your decision.. I always beleived that my cats were happier free-running...Until I had to make the choice between free and dead.

Outdoor cats live about 3 years max.

Indoor cats ...up to 15.

yep, outdoor cats tend to have a bit shorter lives than the indoor kitties, it is all a matter of being exposed to disease, hazards, animals, fights etc. still, outdoor cats usually live past 3 yrs...unless you live beside a highway 3.gif

the pics of the cats in the sink are funny...i thought my cat was the only one who has made claim to the "sink bed" also with the cats watching the toilet flush, my other kitty does the same (he has some sort of water fetish) but hates baths. i will have to try to snap some photos too.

i am going to train my cats to use the toilet starting this week6.gif i tried a years ago, but i had to go to the field (army) for about 8 weeks and my wife would have none of the messy process 15.gif i hate kitty litter so i am attempting toilet training part 2...part one was a sure success but again, lack of spousal support shut down all training operations.

"Indoor cats ...up to 15"

What do you do at 15 years of age ...cook them and make a stew? cats can live well over 15,there are agood few cats that live 18,19 and some break with ease the 25 years of life on this planet Earth.

Up to 15,than humans live up to 70 and ...hit the wall.2.gif

We just got another cat from the League of Animal Welfare on Friday. So far his name is Kingston Alfalfa. He's a 14 months old and the biggest purry, huggy, rub against your face male lap cat I've seen yet. Looks like we're gonna have to get him declawed in the front, we have too much money wrapped up in new furniture. He does have an ulcer in his right eye and needs meds put in that eye twice daily. Sure hope that doesn't ruin his good nature.

post-5564-13819251565326_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 2/29/2004 11:26:43 PM Tom Blasing wrote:

We just got another cat from the League of Animal Welfare on Friday. So far his name is Kingston Alfalfa. He's a 14 months old and the biggest purry, huggy, rub against your face male lap cat I've seen yet. Looks like we're gonna have to get him declawed in the front, we have too much money wrapped up in new furniture. He does have an ulcer in his right eye and needs meds put in that eye twice daily. Sure hope that doesn't ruin his good nature.

----------------

Tom .... please reconsider de-clawing ur new guy. At least try to train him on scratching posts/pads ... he's still young enuff to be able to break him from clawing the 'NO' places (furniture) & to claw the 'YES' places (posts/driftwood, etc.). Cats claw for two reasons: territory marking & to remove dead nail material .... if u have furthr ?s about declawing/scratch training pvt msg me or e-mail me mosika AT iupui.edu

peace, mitch

----------------

On 2/29/2004 10:21:07 PM tankhokie wrote:

i am going to train my cats to use the toilet starting this week
6.gif
i tried a years ago, but i had to go to the field (army) for about 8 weeks and my wife would have none of the messy process
15.gif
i hate kitty litter so i am attempting toilet training part 2...part one was a sure success but again, lack of spousal support shut down all training operations.

----------------

Tank ... best wishes on potty training ur kitties ... I almost had mine potty trained until the last 2 steps (getting al 4 paws on the seat & switching thelitter 4 water) 'cuz of my not so helpful roomie @ the time wouldn't do the necessary assisting while I was gone @ werk all day & he was @ the apt most of that time. The roomies r gone but still have the cat (she'll be 11 on 28 March).

How far r u in CTT Pt. 2? L8r.

peace, mitch

mitch,

well i just set up the guest bathroom today and both cats are responding well. they ar using a much smaller litter box that is set on top of the toilet. i bought a kiddie potty training seat that will fit down in the toilet. it even has a small bowl to hold the litter!! that was my problem years ago, they couldn't go to the bathromm without standing in the litter.

lots of lost litter when the cling wrap broke and falls into toilet14.gif

hopefully this potty seat will solve that problem as it is too small to sit in, but yet enough to put some litter in...then reduce to nothing...then remove bowl...then remove seat.

it looks promising, they both have used the setup tonight9.gif

----------------

On 3/4/2004 12:10:29 PM m00n wrote:

I don't know who's cat this is or the individual so I blocked her name out, but anyway, my mom happen to send me this picture this morning...

This is one huge kitty.

hugecat.jpg

----------------

Looks to be either a Maine Coon or Norweigan Forest cat judging by the tufted feets ... they do get big 25-30 lbs is not uncommon. Ragdolls can get 20-25 lbs to. Considering that, my 15 lb Flabby Tabby seems somewhat svelt.

peace, mitch