NOS RCA 2A3 Blackplates for Moondogs

LonestarBlues

I have been looking for a pair of NOS RCA 2A3 blackplates for my Moondog amps. Tubeworld has a selection starting at $225 pair. And increasing in $25 increments for their Platinum tubes matched within 1-2%-$250 pair & Super Platinum tubes matched wihin 1% going for $275 pair. Does the closer matching of the Super Platinum equate better sonics or will they all have a similar sound. Is it worth the increased dinero for closer matching? Does anyone know of other reputable tube sellers to check out.

Regards, Mike

Hello Kelly. No I have not heard the RCA's. I still have the original tubes that came with my Moondogs. Sovteks, Brimar 6sn7 drivers & Mullard GZ37 rectifiers.

I want to try out some new tubes and have read good things about the RCA blackplates. How do the RCA grayplates compare? I have read they are not as good as the blackplates but I assume they would be an improvement over Sovteks.

Regards, Mike

LoneStar,

try http://www.audiotubes.com/bjtubes.htm this is Brent Jessie's site and I just seen matched pairs for $165 listed on his site. I have bought many odd ball tubes from him with great results and I believe Dean has dealt with him a number of times. Heck if he doesn't have what I need he finds it for me. Great guy and stands behind his tube very well. I usually just give him a call he is a joy to talk too !

Craig

That is a great place although he doesnt have as many 2A3 as Tube World - the prices are better more often than not.

One note, I would go with Black Plates over Gray. And if going RCA Black Plates, look for the RCA JAN CRC 2A3 VT-95. This is steller and worth the extra few ducats. If you listen to rock or music with less distinction between loud and soft, the difference in something like the RCA CRC VT-95 BP might go unnoticed. But this tube reveals more nuance and definitely has more inner detail than the Sovtek (a great tube in its own right). The JAN RCA CRC VT-95 just sounds more refined across the board. something like a string quartet would be better served. small scale jazz... etc. These tubes have more dimension.

Also, if you have some ducats, the next 2A3 I want to sample is the AVVT Meshplates. I just heard some Cunningham Monoplates last weekend which are $$$$$ and they sounded VERY nice. On the Wrights, they actually reminded me of the Black Plates. I wanted to make a back to back comparison but lacked the time.

The Sovtek is the best workhorse 2A3 I know of, though. It gets you most of the way there for the least amount of ducats.

kh

----------------

On 1/22/2004 9:19:13 AM mobile homeless wrote:

Also, if you have some ducats, the next 2A3 I want to sample is the AVVT Meshplates. I just heard some Cunningham Monoplates last weekend which are $$$$$ and they sounded VERY nice. On the Wrights, they actually reminded me of the Black Plates. I wanted to make a back to back comparison but lacked the time.

The Sovtek is the best workhorse 2A3 I know of, though. It gets you most of the way there for the least amount of ducats.

kh

----------------

This morning I pulled the 299B out of service and reinstalled the AVVT 2A3 Meshplate that had been sidelined for a light repair. Fired up the Horus and Pantheon and let them settle in for about five minutes. Put on some Snuffy Walden and cranked it up.

Wow ... I had forgotten how good this SET combination sounds. Unbelievable midrange and detail, and a whole lot of low end guts. It's not 50 WPC level of guts, but for 3-4W, it sure sounds musical as hell. I'm not sure how much of this sound is attributable to the AVVT's.

Based on some urging here, I got a pair of Sovteks delivered yesterday and they're on the table to go into service tonight. I'm anxious to hear them since they have gotten strong value recommendations here. I'll report back in a few days on what I'm hearing.

This Horus/Pantheon combination is really something to behold. Just gets better every month.

Chris,

I was very_ impressed with Jeff's amps with Sovetecks, but the AVVT put them into the stellar range. Jeff was emphatic in his recommendation of JAC's AVVTs, & if there is a better 2A3 to couple with these amps, I want them. The Sov's are strictly backup, now.

SSH

----------------

On 1/22/2004 11:30:16 AM ssh wrote:

Chris,

I was very_ impressed with Jeff's amps with Sovetecks, but the AVVT put them into the stellar range. Jeff was emphatic in his recommendation of JAC's AVVTs, & if there is a better 2A3 to couple with these amps, I want them. The Sov's are strictly backup, now.

SSH

----------------

The AVVT Mesh is the best 2A3 I've come across until now. But there are a lot of 2A3 out there I've not heard yet. The new crop of mesh tube from EML may be in the same league, I don't know. But at the price they asked for, I guess I'll never know too.

The RCA is still a favorite of mine and like Kelly said, the Sovtek are an incredible deal for the money. You can get a matched pair of them at Partsconnexion for 49 USD. That is what going to end up in my 2A3 PP.

I said the same thing about matching in my first post. Dont worry about paying for something like "Platinum" matching. It's a waste of money for this application. On the other hand, two outputs taht are WAY off in age and matching is not good either. But no need to pay extra for this platinum matching mess.

As for the 2A3, I think the RCA JAN CRC VT-95 gets VERY close to the sound of the vintage monoplates. They might lack some of the focus of the monoplates. I really want to compare the two. I might have a chance it Tad comes up with the Sony SCD-777es, Wrights, etc for a comparison next week.

We will also be comparing a recapped Scott 299B with two Eico HF-81, this on the 77 Cornwalls and on my 90dB Monitor speakers.

That's a LOT to do in one day, so might not get it all in.

kh

ps- Note to SOVTEK 2A3 users. You have to BREAK THESE THINGS IN...as in playing for a week or more for them to smooth out. IF you are judging the Sovtek after a few hours, you arent hearing it as smooth as it is. I think it gets even better after several hundred hours.

For value, you can get 8 pr of Sovtecs for the cost of AVVTs; but if you've invested in a stellar amp (s) & want to get its' potential, the AVVTs are a great value, too.

My used Sovteks had over a hundred hours on them, but probably not several hundred.

SSH

I'd just want to echo the thought that Sovtek's are the winner in bang for the buck on 2A3's. At least to my ears on the Wright 2A3's. They are what Geo. send out stock.

He also recommends the RCA blackplate, which is excellent.

I've got a pair of AVVT's, too. They are no doubt sweet. Not a bang for the buck champ, but i think they edge out the RCA's.

A double blind test would be in order. It is hard not to like something that is a very cool looking tube as the AVVT Mesh plate. It is a big rascal, too. I mean, I wanted it to sound good, too, especially after spending some bucks with Jac to send it across the blue water.

On my amps, I was only really disappointed with EH.

I love transparency in gear but didnt know I was being as transparent as the ole Sovtek 2A3. The amp will be for sale shortly so not much mystery will be left. It's a forum member who tinkers with his own amps. Mods were done to original Scott spec. Of coarse, I would like to hear a Scott model stock too.

Daddydee, was that "you've got mail" for me? I didnt get any mail via my forum address although if you sent through the Klipsch site, you never know how fast that goes.

kh

ps- I thought the RCA JAN CRC VT95 sounded VERY nice via the Wright 2A3, much better than the Sovtek in inner detail. One thing I will add, I think the Wright amps are better suited for jazz and classical really or any music with space and/or quiet between the notes. I havent said this often, but if you are into the grunt of blues or rock, sometimes a push-pull design will offer more low end drive with a sacrifice in that "lit from within" or total see-thru quality you get with something like the Wright SET. I would say the Wrights are more refined amps that bring GREAT recordings to the forefront. But for blues and rock from average recordings, sometimes a vintage PP can be the ticket.