Component vs. S-video

Darren

----------------

On 1/27/2004 11:52:18 PM Fish wrote:

I hooked it up,I get no picture with progressive on.I just checked all my audio settings and unplugged it again,I only use it for audio anywho,thanks.

----------------

That's because your TV is incapable of handling an input higher than 480i.

I set up a system for a client not long ago - he bought one of these HD recorders that had component out - but it was progressive only (no internal switching available) - so it was completely useless on his existing television - an older Sony analog projection. We changed over to S-Video instead, and he was very pleased with the result.

I'm surprised that your Denon doesn't have some kind of on-box (or maybe in the on-screen menus) switch between progressive and interlaced output.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I'm surprised that your Denon doesn't have some kind of on-box (or maybe in the on-screen menus) switch between progressive and interlaced output."

I have the same Denon - it does have this selection in one of the menus (can't recall which one, but the default is progressive and you have to change it if you're using component connections in a non-progressive type TV). If you connect with composite or s-video, doesn't seem to matter if you select progressive or interlaced as you only get interlaced through those connections anyway.

----------------

On 1/30/2004 3:08:06 AM Darren wrote:

If you connect with composite or s-video, doesn't seem to matter if you select progressive or interlaced as you only get interlaced through those connections anyway.

----------------

Absolutely correct. However, most (qualifier - of what I've seen) A/V receivers equipped with component jacks just pass whatever comes in, be it 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i. I'm rather surprised the Denon contains any kind of up/downsampling circuitry. To me, this suggests that the Denon will actually degrade signals moreso than a receiver that just simply switches between the incoming component video signals, on the basis that it passes that signal through an extensive processing step before outputting to the TV.

As an aside, there are quite a few HD receivers on the market (Hughes comes immediately to mind) that don't even output on the component video jacks until you use the on-screen menus to activate a 480p or higher rez.

Griff,the Denon just upconverts composite or s video to send them through the component cables,no downconversion.The picture looks just as good as straight into the tv to me.Brightness 1vp-p,75 ohm.blue 0.7vp-p,75 ohm.red0.7vp-p,75ohm.dc-100mhz+0,-3db.That said,I still run my sony straight into the tv.The 2900 does have choice of progressive or interlaced,w/progressive selected I get no picture,w/interlaced I get a nice picture,again I'm no videophile.

----------------

On 1/31/2004 1:07:35 PM Fish wrote:

Griff,the Denon just upconverts composite or s video to send them through the component cables,no downconversion.The picture looks just as good as straight into the tv to me.Brightness 1vp-p,75 ohm.blue 0.7vp-p,75 ohm.red0.7vp-p,75ohm.dc-100mhz+0,-3db.That said,I still run my sony straight into the tv.The 2900 does have choice of progressive or interlaced,w/progressive selected I get no picture,w/interlaced I get a nice picture,again I'm no videophile.

----------------

That's great, then! It really comes down to how much of a difference you will see. That's the first I've heard of a transcoder that will switch S or Composite to Component. Are there other high-end units that will do this?

----------------

On 1/31/2004 1:18:52 PM Griffinator wrote:

That's the first I've heard of a transcoder that will switch S or Composite to Component. Are there other high-end units that will do this?

----------------

The Pioneer Elite 49TX/49TXi/59TXi will upconvert to component video from

composite or S-Video. Maybe some of the other Pioneers will too, but I'm

not sure.

Hmmmmm

This makes a sudden and dramatic difference as to which unit I am looking for to start my HT setup. I was focusing primarily on the quality of the DSP, as my final goal will render amplifier quality irrelevant.

Having a unit that can truly control all video sources and output them all to the TV on one set of cables is a very, very attractive feature to me (for me, video isn't as super-critical as audio, believe it or not - I just made it my business as a sales rep to know and understand the technology I was selling) as I want a system that not only fulfills my sonic desires, but is simple enough for my wife to use and enjoy without my instruction.

----------------

On 1/31/2004 1:36:27 PM WS65711 wrote:

The Pioneer Elite 49TX/49TXi/59TXi will upconvert to component video from

composite or S-Video. Maybe some of the other Pioneers will too, but I'm

not sure.

----------------

I think that is the complete list of Pioneer Receivers with Video Upconversion. Denon has the 3803 and 5803. I'm not sure about the new Yamahas?? And sonys also have upconversion, but I think it's just Composite to S-Video. I'm sure that this will soon be a standard feature on almost any receiver (right around the time we all stop using Component Video1.gif ).

----------------

On 2/2/2004 2:28:43 AM toddvj wrote:

I think that is the complete list of Pioneer Receivers with Video Upconversion. Denon has the 3803 and 5803. I'm not sure about the new Yamahas?? And sonys also have upconversion, but I think it's just Composite to S-Video. I'm sure that this will soon be a standard feature on almost any receiver (right around the time we all stop using Component Video
1.gif
).

----------------

The new Yamaha HTR series transcode S to composite or composite to S, but still do not transcode to component. Haven't looked at the new RX stuff - I wasn't aware that they had released the new RX line yet (usually the HTR-5x90 gets an update when RX does - and it's still 55, where the rest of the HTR's are 56)

----------------

On 2/2/2004 8:30:22 PM Griffinator wrote:

The new Yamaha HTR series transcode S to composite or composite to S, but still do not transcode to component. Haven't looked at the new RX stuff - I wasn't aware that they had released the new RX line yet (usually the HTR-5x90 gets an update when RX does - and it's still 55, where the rest of the HTR's are 56)

----------------

By "new" I meant the RX-V1400 and 2400, which I guess have been out for about 3-4 months. I just verified on Yamaha's web site, that they both do do Component Video Upconversion. They are also THX certified, which is funny because Yamaha Swore that they would never go that route (THX certification.)

----------------

On 2/4/2004 1:44:07 AM toddvj wrote:

By "new" I meant the RX-V1400 and 2400, which I guess have been out for about 3-4 months. I just verified on Yamaha's web site, that they both do do Component Video Upconversion. They are also THX certified, which is funny because Yamaha Swore that they would never go that route (THX certification.)

----------------

Indeed. BB just put the 5590 on clearance, which means that Yammy will probably be releasing the new 5690 very soon. That's cool, about the transcoding, because I can still look to Yammy for my preamp foundation unit. (If you hadn't already guessed, I'm very high on Yamaha DSP - and in a home theater preamp, that's the most important part.

People that own Yammy's swear by them. I always thought the set-up, etc. was too complicated. I'm sure if you play with it for a while you'll figure it out though. I just wonder if the new Yammy's are going to start sounding like every other THX receiver out there???

----------------

On 2/4/2004 11:29:49 PM toddvj wrote:

People that own Yammy's swear by them. I always thought the set-up, etc. was too complicated. I'm sure if you play with it for a while you'll figure it out though. I just wonder if the new Yammy's are going to start sounding like every other THX receiver out there???

----------------

Peeps around here tend to dog on Yamaha - the most consistent complaint is that they're too bright. The setup on the ones I've worked with (quite a few, although nothing much bigger than a RX-V3300) is pretty intuitive - the menus are well-organized, the speaker settings are laid out fairly straightforward, and the HTR-series are four of a very short list of lower-end receivers by any company where the inputs are fully assignable. May not sound like a big deal, but it becomes one when you have a digital cable box that's SPDIF out only, and your Sony receiver's only SPDIF connection is fixed to the DVD player! 14.gif

There's a lot of things to like about Yamaha - but when it all comes down, your own ears will tell you if you'll like them. To me, as long as there's pre-outs, the DSP is the most important feature, and Yamaha's DSP is world-renowned (35 plus years of building professional-grade synthesizers and pro-audio DSP boxes kinda helps, no?) Amplifiers can be substituted - and it's a lot more expensive to put in a front-end processor than it is to put in back-end amplifiers (especially if you know how to build them! 2.gif)

Somehow, I believe that Yammy's will never sound like "every other THX receiver out there" - especially when I stop and consider some of the other THX receivers - the Kenwood 6070 and 7070 come to mind - UGH!

Daren, At least I think that's who started this post, wow lots to read! Anyhow, this may be too simple and I may have misunderstood the origonal issue, but since you were origonally looking for on screen programming, and the s video lead was the only way to get it...I have my reciever video out going to video 2 on my tv, dvd component going to HD-1, and cable hdtv going to hd-2, my tv has 3 video inputs, 2 HD inputs and 2 antenna/cable inputs, try utilizing an alternate video input to get the on screen programming, along with the componant. Good luck