Cable Lifters.........Seriously now guys

scrambler400

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?cablspkr&1077571698

I have seen a bit about this technique online over the past years, but I think it is time to get the cards on the table. I can understand how a better cable coule make your sound better, but this inflated industry has convinced unsuspecting audiophiles that having your cables slightly elevated off the ground will actually make a noticable difference in sound!!!!!! I want a double blind test on this one.

The only thing these things tell me is that there are too many people in this country with too much bloody money! People go hungry in this nations, and people will spend an antire months supply of food on things to hold their speaker cables 2 inches off the ground.

Just a nice Saturday rant

JML3.gif

Well that's obviously the expensive way to do it. Many on this forum DO report a sonic difference, however, after lifting speaker cable off of a carpeted surface. I would think $2.00 worth of wood and 20 min. of work would get a similar result.

I never had carpet. No experience.

I've raised all of my speaker cable off the floor onto a series of heated minature water beds. Keeps them toasty warm in the winter and cool as a breeze in the summer. I've noticed a definate increase in "prodigious yet controlled bass and silkier extended highs". Next I plan to run all of my interconnects through plastic tubing packed full of creamy (not chunky) peanut butter. I'm sure this will help with midrange definition. 2.gif

Well, it can't sound good unless you pay a lot fo money for the mod... 2.gif

I am really getting to a point where I am believeing more and more, that all this stuff (cable lifters and all) are just a load of craq, so I just don't care.

Read how McIntosh had to switch to hi-end cable to make the audiophiles happy:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rogerr7/wire.htm#wiretable

Despite the effectiveness of Gordon's cable demonstration and the truth about speaker wire, people visiting the McIntosh room at the shows, who had not experienced the cable demonstration, were disturbed that we were using ordinary heavy zip cord instead of one of the popular brands of speaker wire. Instead of listening to the McIntosh speakers and electronics, they recalled "bad" things they had been told about "common" speaker wire and this promoted questions about the "inferior" wire being used. When we changed the wire to a popular brand of wire, customers were happy with the setup, and directed their attention to the McIntosh equipment. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The demand for high quality speaker wire was increasing and appeared to be a new marketing area for several companies. McIntosh did not make or sell speaker wire. The solution seemed very obvious--rather than spend time and effort to create negative sales for McIntosh dealers who were beginning to sell speaker wire, it seemed best to encourage the speaker owner/customer to consult with the dealer about what speaker wire to use. Consequently, I no longer recommended the kind of wire or wire sizes in the speaker manuals.

By 1988, McIntosh no longer supplied audio interconnects with the electronics. Again, many kinds of special audio cables were available to the customer/owner. The dealer could also be consulted about what cables to use.

I credit the success of the speaker wire industry to their expert sales and marketing ability. However, it is my experience that ordinary copper wire, as long as it's heavy enough, is just as good as name brands.

Hmmmm...it seems to me that some little flower pots turned upside down would work well too, but much more cheaply. Of course, flower pots are made out of crock.....just like the elevated-speaker-wire theory. 9.gif-Picky

These mods do NOTHING to the signal,its a PLECEBO mod used by clowns.

I spend alot of money on audio,each year more than a normal person earns.And yet I will not spend a dime on these Mickey Mouse mods.

Room treat,ent is the first thing to improve sound,all the stones on amps,rubber feet under cables and cheese Whiz in crossover does NOTHING serious.And the best joke the Placebo CD clarifier.

Some mods make sense and cost little,the more they cost beware,the less they do.Its the inventor who invents improvements and pretends to hear them.In a blind test he would not know what is what.