Khorns for sale in Texas

krustyoldsarge

I live in Austin and am waiting on a new pair of La Scalas but if these had been for sell before Nov 15 I would have bought them!

Anyone who is interested in them and need me to take a look and listen I would love to see and hear them if it is okay with the seller. I am not a audiophile so I would not be able to answer any tech questions but I can make sure the tweters, midrange, and bass is working and look for any cosmetic problems

Xman

Those speaks look very nice. if his serial number is correct they were made about the same time as mine, in late 59 or early '60. They look to be in very nice shape, much better than mine whick really need to be re-lacquered. One funny thing is the mid horn. they have the later style metal horn if I'm seeing correctly. Somebody who owned them may have updated the horns and drivers. Sure is a nice looking pair.

Tom

----------------

On 1/29/2004 7:05:51 AM jbsl wrote:

I live in Austin and am waiting on a new pair of La Scalas.....

Xman

----------------

Small world, I'm in San Antonio. Let me know if you're down SA way sometime and can stop by me casa for some serious audio fun.

Wardsweb,

I tried to send you a email but don't know if it worked. I may be in San Antonio on Sunday Feb 2 around 7:00 PM. If you did not get my email let me know and I'll send it again.

For anyone who wants to see the best looking pair of La Scalas go to Wardsweb website

www.wardsweb.org

and go to speakers!

Xman

Tom

I think he has the serial numbers wrong. In addition to the cast horn rather than the wooden horn those units appear to have the type A xover which I believe was introduced somewhat later than that serial number would imply.

They are a damned nice looking pair all the same and his estimate of their age ( 70's - 80's ) may be pretty much on the mark.

Lynn-

That was my thought too, but maybe a bit older than my '68s, since they have the clear script "Klipschorn" badges, which I think pre-dates my clear "pie-slice" logos. They look to be in very good shape, but I think $2500 is a bit steep. Seems as though the market agrees.

The grill cloth is not original and I think the emblems were placed in that location by a previous owner. They look to be the same as on my 77s, rectangular with the k non-capitalized. To me the crossover looks not to be original either. Stock that era would have type AAs and after 25 or more years the tin coating on the inductors would have lost their sheen if not sport a little coating of iron oxide.

Rick

The emblems on those KHorns look just like the ones on my '60's.

Mine have the K-500-5000 crossovers, which look just like the ones in those Tx KHorns. That's why I thought the serial numbers were right, they're right with mine. I figured the mid-horns were updated.

Incidentally, I have received email from the seller. She mentions that her late husband collected lots of stuff. I encouraged her to join up here and access this thread, but haven't seen her yet.

Tom