Help me decide on a tube integrated

organ

ASL AQ1003DT or Jolida JD 302B. The int will be used to power a pair of RF-35. Anybody know if the ASL is equipped with a subwoofer output? I hear the Jolida is. The ASL is 30w/ch Class A and the Jolida is 50w/ch Class AB(I believe). Both units use EL34 power tubes.

ASL: http://www.divertech.com/aq1003dt.html

Jolida: http://www.jolida.com/catalogue/jd302b.html

Thanks

Maurice

I've been doing quite a bit of reading about it. I need more time to think. So far it's up there on my list wit ASL. What's the "focus" feature on the amp for an additional $80?

Piranha,

Is that your fish on the avatar? I also love piranhas. I have a large red belly that's 5 and a half years old and a really mean black piranha that's almost 5 years old. About 5" in lenght and already turning jet black. Very rare at that size and age. Agressive as hell too.

Maurice

I can also recommend the Cayin TA-30. I'm running it on RF-7's, and it sounds great. The "focus" mod, as far as I can tell, is just a mid-range adjustment knob. When you turn it up, the mid-range shoots up...that's about all I can tell.

There's no sub out though...you might be able to talk to Paul at www.2baudio.com about that.

-Jesse

Yes I have hooked it up and I like it ! Great value for the $, Its no 299, 272, VRD or Mark III killer by any means but the price of entry is way lower. I personally would still prefer many of the Vintage integrated amps as far as that goes but this is not what everyone feels comfortable with if they want new under 1K I say this is the ticket for sure.

Paul offers a Sub Out option ! No remote control though

Craig

Look into the integrated, hybrid Pathos amp. It uses a tube front end w/ solid state. Class A balanced.

I just heard them (about 3 hours ago) voiced through Klipsch RF-5's? (double 8" drivers w/ Tractrix horn).

This is the first solid state (hybrid) amplifier that I actually liked with horns. Pretty amazing sound.

Also, the Pathos is gorgeous! High on the WAF!

My $0.02,

Pete

Stream,

Do you think the knob upgrade is woth the $80? Does it bring the mids forward/back? or louder/softer?

Craig,

Actally, I e-mailed you about a complete rebuild of my ST-70 with mods and modding an ASL pre back in Dec. After thinking about it for a long time I decided I should send it out to you in the summer when I'm out of school and working more because I don't have much cash right now. I wanted a new int to keep me happy until I get the Dyna fixed. Now, you seem to like the vintage stuff better. Do you think the modded ST-70 and ASL AQ-2004DT will outperform the Cayin? What kind of mods can you do to the ASL pre? The ASL is too noisy where I can hear a buzz coming out of the speakers and would like it eliminated.

If you think the Dyna/ASL combo will outperform the Cayin, I'd rather save up and get them going a little sooner.

How does a supped up ST-70 sound on the RF-35? I like to listen LOUD.

Triode Pete,

Thanks for the recommendation but I want to go tubes all the way. I find that hybrids or a combination of tube pre/ss amp doesn't have enough tube 'magic' for me.

Maurice

Maurice,

I agree with you...I wouldn't put any sand amplification into my system. Been there, done that, don't ever want to go back!

If you want vintage, get a Fisher 500C FM receiver...great output trannies, the 7591A output kicks butt, real good tuner section & pre-amp. IMHO, it sounds better than the MC225, which I think is the sweetest sounding Mac amp ever made.

Have fun & enjoy,

Pete

Pete,

I'm actually using a sand amp and pre right now. NAD C160 pre and C270 amp. Sounds pretty good with the 35's but not like tubes. I find my Rotel pre to be a little bright and can get pretty harsh at high levels. The C160 was lacking highs on my Polk LSi9 but sounds superb with the horns.

I already own a vintage amp (Dyna ST-70). It tries to kill power tubes and the bias is not stable. I will be sending it to Craig for a rebuild when I get enough cash. I love the sound of that amp. I just hope the mods keep the warm and smooth vintage sound.

Maurice

What's going on man? I didn't know you're a member here too. I really like this forum especialy for technical questions and tubes.

Polk forum is still down for their software upgrade.

So did you decide on your amp yet? The members here shold be better at recommending amps/int for you since they all know our speakers.

Nice to hear from you. Take care.

Maurice

Organ,

The Dyna will hands down out perform the Cayin once rebuilt and modded with a top notch front end board and rebuilt improved power supply. I think stock for stock the Cayin could give a good working ST70 a run for its money. But once a ST70 has some sweet upgrades it would put a hurting on a Cayin. I'm sure I can fix your preamp up also if it has tubes and passes music I can fix it 1.gif

Craig

I doubt the focus upgrade is worth $80. To tell you the truth, I usually run the amp with the knob turned almost all the way down, as I don't like the "forced" mid-range sound. You'd be better off going with the bias adjustment mod or the sub out mod.

-Jesse

I dont know why Paul is decribing a variable feedback pot as a "focus" control. Reminds me of the "focus" on the EICO, always a sorry excuse for a "balance" control.

That focus on your amp is just the ability to dial in or out Negative Feedback. Does he not have the markings on there ie 3dB, 6dB, 9dB etc so you can see where it's set? Did he tell you which was ZERO negative feedback? I like ZERO negative feedback in SET amps but using a bit in PP can help matters depending. The design/circuit obviously matters here. Does he have markings? Leo went ahead and removed the negative feedback in his Heathkit amps. Others have done this mod on Jolida 302 as well.

kh