Sansui Amp Owners

Mechanic

I have a Sansui AU6900 integrated amp bought around 1977 I belive.Does anyone know the spec's and quality of this amp?I bought it from a friend around 1979 and he had no book for it.I think it's about 65 wpc but not sure.I also have a Fostex Labratory series 600 power amp that I've been running my Cornwalls with.I had been using the Sansui's preamp and the Fostex as the power amp for probably the last 15 years.Recently I tried using the Sansui to power the corns and was very suprised by the performance it has.

Anyone know where this amp sits as far as specs go compared to other quality amps? Being 26+ years old and still sounding good it must be of good quality.

Have I been running the wrong amp all these years?

Any input on either of these 2 amps would be greatly appreciated..cwm20.gif

Cornwalls forever.

------------------

Cornwalls til I die

No info on the AU6900 but I had a G-8000 that I bought new in 1978 while stationed in Germany. What a beautiful piece of equipment. I searched the net and found this http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/hi-fi/Sansui_G-8000_collage.jpg . It had 120 w/ch and had no problem driving my Infinity Column II's. I had a lot of friends from the mid-70's using Sansui receivers and they spoke very highly of them.

I found this website if you are interested in the owners and service manuals http://www.tiac.net/users/mgasman/manuals_sansui.html . Scroll down until you find the AU6900...

Good luck,

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 06-22-2001 at 03:36 PM

I don't have any specs for your for Sansui but if memory serves me correctly, Sansui made powerful rock solid amps in the '70s. I think you have in your possesion a well above average piece of equipment that would excel even comparedvwith today's technology. Hang on to it.

Thanks for yor replies.

I did find some specs for the Fostex Lab series 600 amp and maybe someone can help me with them.If I recall It was quite expensive back in 1984 when I bought it,I think it was around $1400.00 canadian($1100.00 us approx exchange rate back then).Since I don't listen to music quite as loud anymore,I was thinking of upgrading to a more accurate amp of lower wattage.I'm posting the specs so someone can help me decide to upgrade or keep what I already have.(These specs don't mean much to me)

-RMS (min.) Continuous Power Output:per channel 20hz-20khz(both channels driven) 8ohms 200w(THD 0.02%)

4ohms 300w(THD 0.05%)

-T.H.D. 20hz-20khz at 250mw to rated power @8ohms

0.05% max

-Power bandwidth (IHF T.H.D. 0.1%) 5hz-50khz

-Intermodulation Distortion: 250mw to rated power @8ohms with any 2 mixed frequecies between 10hz and 30khz at 4/1 voltage ratio: 0.05% max

-Frequency responce at rated power: +0. -0.5 db. 10hz to 50khz

-Signal to noise ratio: greater than 95db (IHF-A 115db) below rated power (at 8 ohms)

-Transient responce of any square wave: 1.5 microseconds rise and fall time.

-Dampening Factor: 150 min (8 ohms 20hz-20khz)

75 min (4 ohms 20hz-20khz)

-Input sensitivity: 0.8v rms to rated power at 8 ohms

-Input impedance: 10 kohms

-Power consumption 1800 watts (YIKES)

-Weight: 16.5 kg

Sorry for the long post but I really don't know which specs are the important ones

T.I.A.cwm35.gif

------------------

Cornwalls til I die

Last week I've been listening to my Scalas with my father's amp. It's a Sansui AU6500, I think it's from the same year as yours, just a little less powerful. it's great looking, with rock-solid knobs on a black brushed-steel fascia, with an aluminium surrounding around it.

It's still a good amp, considering its age; i think it was quite expensive even back then. I wouldn't say it can compare with upmarket actual brands, such as musical fidelity or whatever, but it's surely better than a brand-new "mid-fi" amp from yamaha, kenwood, onkyo...

So if you like the sound, stick with it, it's built like a truck!

Frans

my first hi-fi sys purchased in '73 included a sansui 15WX2 integrated amp. sold it to a friend when i upgraded to the big ken receiver - much more power 160Wx2 & u had to have a tuner in those days.

spoke to my friend just recently & the lil sansui is still goin strong.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

quote:

Originally posted by Shock-Late:

Last week I've been listening to my Scalas with my father's amp. It's a Sansui AU6500, I think it's from the same year as yours, just a little less powerful. it's great looking, with rock-solid knobs on a black brushed-steel fascia, with an aluminium surrounding around it.

It's still a good amp, considering its age; i think it was quite expensive even back then. I wouldn't say it can compare with upmarket actual brands, such as musical fidelity or whatever, but it's surely better than a brand-new "mid-fi" amp from yamaha, kenwood, onkyo...

So if you like the sound, stick with it, it's built like a truck!

Frans

Oh no you didn't! You did not just lump in Onkyo and Yamaha with Driftwood! (i mean Kenwood) WTF!? You oughta throw Denon and Marantz in there too then... <grumble>

Just to get in on the conversation though, my Dad's got an old Sansui he got before i was born when he was stationed in Korea (it's about 30 years old now) Still have the manuals and such, will check out the model. Still cranks and sounds great - very well built...

-Rich

quote:

Originally posted by rhawki:

Oh no you didn't! You did not just lump in Onkyo and Yamaha with Driftwood! (i mean Kenwood) WTF!? You oughta throw Denon and Marantz in there too then... <grumble>

Just to get in on the conversation though, my Dad's got an old Sansui he got before i was born when he was stationed in Korea (it's about 30 years old now) Still have the manuals and such, will check out the model. Still cranks and sounds great - very well built...

-Rich

What exactly does mid fi mean anyway?

I have a Kenwood direct drive turntable circa 1977 that's still hasn't missed a beat. This, after surviving disco parties at college. In fact based on it's performance and reliability, I bought 2 of their CD players. I have been pleased both mechanically and sonically with the players. I even had the audacity to compare one of the CD players against a Meridian 508.24 and the Kenwood was sonically equal.

yea my 1975 kenwood 9600 is a massive dual power supply beast that's built like a tank & still driving my rf-3 for music quite beautifully (much better so than the "mid-fi" sony also connected). as w/ disco, it has been thru many hard driving parties (it still smells like beer Tipsy.gif).

can't really make a blanket statement for all brands for all eras shockie (well, 'cept for bose). Wink.gif

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Yea, Mid-Fi is a loose term. Hey no offense to those with the older Kenwood stuff - some of there older equipment i've seen seems well built...

But the newer stuff is really under engineered if you look inside. Lots of ribbon cable and small capacitors/transformers. I read a really cool article somewhere on the net about a study that was done on some of the major brands and how the internals are done. Really interesting to see the pics of how the different companies make there stuff. The big guys like Onkyo, Yamaha, etc put monster capacitors and transformers in and use fairly heavy guage cable, hence the weight. I could pick up my Kenwood reciever and twirl it on my finger...

You get what you pay for, but like i said before, my Kenwood stuff from the 80's is still goin strong (as a secondary system of course)

"can't really make a blanket statement for all brands for all eras shockie (well, 'cept for bose). "

cwm27.gif

-Rich

yea rich u (jokingly) mentioned marantz & denon might as well be included above, but marantz did actually lose some quality when they were bot by superscope but then got the company back & returned to their roots - high quality high power amps.

seems many of the quality amp makers of yesteryear became the victim of commercialization & managments looking to capitalize on that developed brand recognition. guess that's something to be on the lookout for these days.

& many makers have different quality levels for different models made at dif plants under dif managements & policies. sony's a good example there.

i guess shockie did say "brand new mid-fi", not all eras. sorry there shockie. but i'll just say for the new i really like the sound of my marantz. cwm41.gif

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Wow, this is strange! I used my Sansui AU-4900 as my only amp until last year! Bought it '77 when I was a teen--not long after I lost my virginity (to Klipsch, that is). Heard my first KornerHorns and knew I'd have Klipsch someday. Finally had to retire the ol' Sansui last year when it developed a terrible hum. Now that I'm back in the stereo hobby and am in the process of rebuilding a Dynaco ST-70, maybe I should open up the ol' beast and see if I can repair it (as long as I can withstand the still present aroma of twenty year old beercwm32.gif