looking at external amps, need input

mbajner

I am looking at an external amp to connect to my Yamaha RXV2095.

I have it down to three candidates

Rotel RMB-1095

Parasound HCA-2205AT

Sunfire Cinema Grand Series II

all of these are around 5 x 200 and around 2k in price.

anyone have experience with any of these products?

thanks

I'm going to jump in here because I know it hurts a little when no one offers any response.

That being said I only have experience with Yamaha and B&K with Klipsch. Yamaha-which is what I have-I don't care for. B&K (the 507 receiver) I did like. I can only assume a B&K amp would be just as good if not better.

Rotel I don't know but have heard good things about the nice warm sound.

I'd be a little careful with the Sunfire, it supposedly has a higher noise floor because of the design. Could be a problem with Klipsch due to their high sensitivity. If you choose it be sure it's returnable just in case.

Hope this helps.

After a couple months of using my Yamaha RX-V2400, for me, something was missing in the sound quality. After reading messages on this board and others, and talking to a local HT dealer, everything pointed to getting a separate amp. I bought the Parasound 1205A. I considered the 2205A but Parasound tech support and others said it was overkill for Klipsch speakers. Now, my overall sound quality, especially the clarity of dialog in movies is noticeably better Im very happy with the 1205A. Im now considering a separate pre/pro which Im told will also noticeably improve my sound quality.

I just connected the Rotel RMB-1095 a few weeks ago (upgraded from the Yamaha DSP-A1 integrated amp). It's hard to tell how much differnce the amp made alone as I bought the Rotel processor at the same time. I can tell you this, the DSP-A1 was Yamaha's flagship just a few years ago and the Rotel set up absolutely blows it away. I hear things I didn't hear before, and the balance is amazing. I get more bass at lower volume as well. I even notice better separation in the surround channels. Very happy with the Rotel (again, only had it a few weeks).

Thanks for the replies

sounds like I should look at the Parasound and Rotel, skip the Sunfire.

its good to hear positives about using an external amp with a receiver.

this will be the first step.

then the pre will be next.

now what about cables between the receiver and the amp.

any suggestions?

----------------

On 2/6/2004 6:17:50 PM SteelerFan wrote:

That being said I only have experience with Yamaha and B&K with Klipsch. Yamaha-which is what I have-I don't care for. B&K (the 507 receiver) I did like. I can only assume a B&K amp would be just as good if not better.

----------------

Your assumption is correct. The B&K amp is excellent! I have the B&K Reference 200.7 amp, and with Klipsch, it is a match made in heaven. Very smooth sound with excellent detail and clarity. Definitly worth checking out.

To Add: Went back and re-read the original post. The B&K Ref 200.7 amp is a bit outside the $2000 limit. There is also a 5-channel version, the B&K Ref 200.5, which is pretty much the exact same thing as the Ref 200.7 with the exception of only being 5 channels. It might be possible to score one of those for around $2000, but it'll be a bit of a stretch.

I'm glad Steven spoke up, there are alot of people on this board that use B&K. They are an excellent match for Klipsch speakers. My suggestions for amps would be either B&K 200.5 or Parasound HCA-1205A. Rotel£¬Aragon, Sunfire, Stratos, etc, also make good stuff. The only item which caused me to not get the B&K (I have the Parasound), was that it runs much warmer then the Parasound. I don't have AC in my apartment£®

----------------

On 2/7/2004 1:03:12 PM DrPyro wrote:

I'm glad Steven spoke up, there are alot of people on this board that use B&K. They are an excellent match for Klipsch speakers. My suggestions for amps would be either B&K 200.5 or Parasound HCA-1205A. Rotel£¬Aragon, Sunfire, Stratos, etc, also make good stuff. The only item which caused me to not get the B&K (I have the Parasound), was that it runs much warmer then the Parasound. I don't have AC in my apartment£®

----------------

: DrPyro your DIY cable site's really cool, I mean really really nice!

9.gif

I would go with the B&K, they make very good sounding, solid components. I personally own a preamp that was made by them about a year ago, but has since been replaced by the PT-5 (I own the PT-3). I personally really like it; everything about it is "high end" without a high end price. Thick metal faceplate, very smooth turning volume nob, and a full metal case. I run mine with a vintage Mcintosh amplifier and it sounds great.