Subwoofer Cable?

Thors1982

Would the "ZBass100 Audiophile Powered Subwoofer Interconnect" or the "MonsterBass 400 Subwoofer Interconnect" be the best choice for a subwoofer cable for a RSW-15? Is the ZBass actually worth twice as much?

also what about the "Monster THX 1000 16' Subwoofer Cable with RCA Connectors "

I do not have THX on my reciever or DVD player though, if that makes a difference.

The best choice would be a heavy gauge RCA interconnect. Forget the esoterics, dude, it's only transmitting line level signal - same as any other RCA interconnect - only it's even less of an issue when you're dealing with a sub, because the info transmitted is only 20-100Hz - lot more room for error in that situation.

Look for a good quality interconnect by Signal, Ultralink, Bluejeans, or a host of other providers. Hell, I'll sell you a good solid Ultralink Challenger series 30 foot sub cable for $35.00 - and I guarantee you it'll be way better than that Monster crap. Dual balanced twisted-pair with a 100% foil shield - Monster's 12 foot "Bass 400" cable is a single conductor, copper shielded, and costs $60.

But hey - if Monster's your bag, then go for it.

PS: Yes, in case you were wondering, I'm now a rep for Ultralink. No, I'm not bagging on Monster just to sell cable - if you look at my home system, you'll see a lot of Monster cable from back when I worked for a Monster retailer. I got burned several times on Monster instrument cables (surprisingly fragile for the cost) and the love affair, as it were, was over. They're wayyyyy too expensive to be that poorly built.

Thanks, I had some best buy certificates that why I asked. But, the Ultralink sounds nice. Do you just have that specific one or can you sell others. Cause I don't need but like 6 feet now so I was thinking 12-15 feet would be plenty long enough.

Also, would the SUBSONIX series be better?

----------------

On 2/10/2004 5:59:16 PM Thors1982 wrote:

Thanks, I had some best buy certificates that why I asked. But, the Ultralink sounds nice. Do you just have that specific one or can you sell others. Cause I don't need but like 6 feet now so I was thinking 12-15 feet would be plenty long enough.

Also, would the SUBSONIX series be better?

----------------

Sure - I can do a 5 meter (16 foot) version for $25. The only difference between the Challenger and the Subsonix, is the tips. Challenger is injection-molded, where Subsonix is a mil-spec with the 6-cut tapered ends. Much more secure fit, but I'm not convinced that it's worth the extra $35 (a 6M Subsonix would set you back $60)

When purchsing cables, FIRST look at well constructed cables that are reasonably thick. The least expensive of this type are the RadioShack Gold type, and they work very well and are REASONABLY priced!!!! Use the cable for about a month before you think about "upgrading", IF the sound isn't to your liking, and you are POSITIVE its not equipment problems or room problems, then you can START to think about changing cables. I recomend auditioning cables to see if you can hear a difference between cables.

I'm not a huge fan of monster....to understand why, visit my DIY cable webiste (see link below).

-Dave

DAVE and griff both have valid points, spending huge doe for line level is silly to say the least.

BTW . Dave nice DIY site you got there.

Back when i was a band roady ( too many years ago ) we use to spend hours stripping canare GS-6 guitars cable and make our own home cables.

128 strand OFC is as good as it gets if silvers not your gig.

Of cource we all know your paying more for the shielding than whats inside.

----------------

On 2/12/2004 6:22:59 PM raist679 wrote:

Griffinator I took a look at the ultralink site and they pretty nice. I was wondering if you can get the cables on-line somewhere There are no dealers in my area and i didn't see anywhere to order on the website

----------------

You order from a distributor (like me!)

Drop me a PM, tell me what you need, and I'll get you a nice price on them! 9.gif

I placed an order for my RSW-15 today!!!!!!!!!!

Also ordered my HTS3500 :-)

-Thanks for help on that griff (I brought the HTS3500 home for a day and one roomate was stunned at the differnce it makes other said he didn't notice), I noticed a lot of differences but I didn't really notice as much when music/movies are going on. But absolutely no hum, and no pop when I shut everything off.

Anyways back to cables, the guy I ordered it from said he would just give me a cable for free. So, I am going to bring that home test it out and if I want better, I will PM you.

----------------

On 2/10/2004 5:44:28 PM Griffinator wrote:

... Hell, I'll sell you a good solid Ultralink Challenger series 30 foot sub cable for $35.00 - and I guarantee you it'll be way better than that Monster crap.

----------------

Griff,

That's good to know. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Do you sell other cables as well? (eg component video, toslink, etc.?)

John

I sell everything that XLO (xloelectric.com) and Ultralink (ultralinkcables.com) make. PM me with a list of wants, and I'll get you pricing.

I will have a website up within the next couple of weeks, but you'll still want to PM me for pricing - I fully intend to stick by my promise to give the forum members the best deals! Why should I sell to the general internet public for the same price I sell to my fellow forum junkies? 9.gif