RF-7, 10" driver too big for movies?

GRCRYSTYK

Hey folks,..

New, again the the forums. Was a member a few years ago, lost track in the mean time. Been doing a lot of looking lately, and see there is a huge following of the RF-7. I have asked the question a few times over the past couple years, and never really got a good solid reply from anybody that was supose to be in the know,.....Is the 10" driver in the RF-7's, or for the sake of explination, any speaker,...too big for a theater speaker? Will using a criver of that size suffer in the midrange? I know the horns will cover the highs no problem, and the 10"s will sure enough cover the full range lows, but how bout that midrange? Right now I have a Denon 3801 for driving them with. From what I have read, thats plenty. Just didn't want to spend a ton of money on great sounding audio speakers, and ask them to do something they don't like doing.

Thank you very much for any help,....GRCRY,...>>>--->

rf7 are good speakers for hi-fi stereo system(that s what people says,you can check on this forum and on magazines).

so if they re good for stereo it means that they can cover all spectrums even mid range.

if they are good enought for music it must be good enought for HT.

the big speaker may suffer a little but it will succed...

2.gif

If your using a 5.1 system or better especially, there is no prob at all. As you said, the tweeter takes the high's the center channel takes most of the vocals/vioces, which leaves the 7's to do the rest so to speak. Realize the material the cones are made of. Very light but stiff and strong. With the rest of the speaker structure being of great quality and efficiency, you get clear lows and midrange. The ten inch size, if anything, may take care of any harshness or brightness youd MAY get with a smaller speaker, especially in the upper mids. I myself would LOVE to go from my rf 3's to the rf 7's for theater or music applications!!!Course, I'd like to go to Klipschhorns all around too......

A problem associated with larger drivers trying to do the mid range is called Dopler distortion. Low notes require long strokes at low rates. Mid notes on the same driver require more rapid movement with shorter travel. This can produce Dopler distortion which "beams" the output and therefore results in a very poor response off axis.

Big drivers in the 12 and 15 inch range have Dopler distortion and other problems, so a three way design is used to cover the mid range. The price is an added crossover with all of the associated problems. Ten inch drivers are actually closer to 8.5 inches and do not suffer as much from Dopler distortion. Hence a two way design could be used with 10 inch nominal woofers.

The RF-7 has reduced output from 1 kHz to 2 kHz. My theory is that it was designed this way by Klipsch so that it would not interfere with the center channel dialog.

The RF-7 is excellent for music, especially when used with a properly setup subwoofer. The subwoofer helps reduce cabinet resonances, Dopler distortion and other problems that might color the mid range.

Hope that this helped.

Bill

Thanks for the input guys,....I take it all who use the 7's for theater, set them up as a "large" speaker in the system???? I'm headed out to demo some more in another store that can swith from one set of speakers to another without any trouble. Should be interesting. I am taking some of my own discs,.....

GRCRY,...>>>--->

I usually run my RF-7s as small with a crossover at 80 Hz. This cleans up the mid range and cleans up the bass. My RSW-15 handles all of the bass.

Bill

PS: Some folks think that this is a waste of the bass capabilities of the RF-7s. They still play down to 40 Hz or below just to blend the bass with the sub.

"I usually run my RF-7s as small with a crossover at 80 Hz. This cleans up the mid range and cleans up the bass. My RSW-15 handles all of the bass."

Same here - I set all the speakers to small and set the cross-over at 80hz. "Small" is really a bad term.

I have the RF-7's for home theater and music. It's about 70% home theater and I love it. I think they're one of the few speakers that really can do both well.

Hmmmm,...

Very interesting guys. I would have guessed you all to run them as "large" in order to take more advantage of the big drivers, but I guess considering crossover levels either preset, or selectable, usually around the 80 to 100 area, and a separate LFE chanel, it probably wouldn't be all that noticable.

I got a chance to demo another set in a theater today, but didn't get too much of a chance to give it a strong run. They only had Men In Black for a DVD, not to mention the rep had a heck of a time running the equipment. I did get to hear a little music however,...Sounded like you could walk right through it. I don't think there was anything on the recording that was hiding. I think I will have to run a movie to the local outlet, and ask to have it played at a pretty good clip, to see how they sound with a movie I am familiar with. The only thing about this place is, the room is very very small. I mean the 7's are about 6 feet from the sweet spot, REALLY in your face! Should be interesting,....

Thanks again,...GRCRY,...>>>--->

I would highly suggest using your favorite music instead of a movie. Using a music CD will determine how realistic the speakers make the instruments sound to your ears. Anything in movies are usually artificial sound with added effects...in other words, I think it is harder to try to compare those sounds to what you've heard in real life. However with music you KNOW what a drum sounds like, what that guitar should sound like, etc. I just believe that if you like how the speakers sound to music, you will like them for movies. JMHO. Best of luck.