RW 10 or 12 vs Polk 505

rphjls

I am pondering for a sub woofer... have narrowed my choices to either the rw 10 or 12 and then came across a good deal for a polk 505.

I know this is a forum for Klipsch Speakers (I have the quintet II), however, open honest opinions is what I am after.

Thanks

Surprised you haven't received an answer yet... so I thought I'd bump you up.

The RW are very nice subs for their price... but unfortunately I haven't heard the new Polks... so I can't really comment from personal experience. I've heard several people (esp theEAR) speak quite well of them, but whether this means they'll out perform the RW is not clear. What price difference are you looking at?

Rob

Some of the quotes for RW-10 are around 360+shipping RW-12 449+shipping and about 450+shipping for the psw505.

Some that I have spoken to indicate that the polk is too boomy and muddy. Given that I might be swayed back to the rw line as many comments are positive to being very tight and clean.

Is the RW-12 that much better than RW-10?

Room size is 20-13 with cathedral ceiling.

Pioneer VSX-D912K

Klipsch Quintet II (surround and ctr)

Kenwood DVD DV6050.

Randy

"Some that I have spoken to indicate that the polk is too boomy and muddy."

That is a load of crap,these clowns are looking for upper bass the PSW's lack.

Boomy...LOL good one.The same bozos also say the Sunfire is slow because it lacks upper bass peaks(non linear subs have these peaks).

If I was to get a sub I would take the PSW505 over the RW12,if you are looking for some "punch" take the RW12.

I have the rw-12, I picked it over the rw-10 from reading comments in this forum and by listening to an rw-10 at my local klipsch dealer. They did not have the rw-12 on the floor for a side by side, but the rw-10 was not all that impressive and from forum comments the rw-12 was reputed to be night and day. Now that I have one, IMO the rw-12 is far better and for me. Its an amazing sub, price to value. I inquired about other subs and if you search rw-12 in the sub forum you will see the thread, the ear gave a strong plug for the psw-505, he gives it the edge over the rw-12. Again IMO, my buddy has the psw-505 and with his set up and his settings, I believe the rw-12 is cleaner and less boomy than the psw-505. You hardly realize its there until the house starts to shake when its called upon. One of my favorite demos is in the beginning of Star Wars attack of the clones, when the big ship flys in, its sounds amazing, it litterally rattles the windows in the back of the room and the pictures on the wall, and this is in a big room! I have to nail down everything that rattles, I keep thinking one of my speakers is cracked.

Took me so long to write my reply that I didn't see the ears, sorry bout that, but to make what I am saying clearer, I am not saying the polk is boomy just that when comparred in his house to my set up the rw-12 was cleaner, less boomy, they both sound excellent. A true test would be to compare them side by side with the same amp/setting, etc.

The Ear, don't you own both?

"The Ear, don't you own both?"

Nope,I own the PSW404 and 505 and all the Klipsch RSW's.Plus many other subs

1.gif

remember most of my subs are cut very low(50Hz)only my RSW subs are cut at 80hz(as they add some unnatural punch,so welcome ion so many action packed over the top movies).

• 4 weeks later...

----------------

On 3/13/2004 7:02:55 AM rphjls wrote:

Finally got the RW-12 last week. It really kicks ***! For a period of time I also had the KSW-12 to compare with. Difference was like night and day.

----------------

Kinda expected that... but glad you posted. 1.gif Not many (including myself) have had the chance to audition the RW12 and KSW12 at home side-by-side.

enjoy...

Rob

Hey rphjls

I can say to you that i realy like my RW_12 , My room is 15 x 20 , the room rumbles if i want it to . If you want your room to shake go for the RSW-12 or better yet the RSW-15 , that 15 is earth shaking , The store i deal with , D&R Vacume ( go figure a vacume store that sells high end stereo stuff )He put on the Aregon amp & pre-amp to the 4 x rf-7 ,1 x rc-7 , 2 x rsw-15 , Put the star wars dvd on , turned it up a third of the way , i swear my heart was changing its beat , my clothes were vibrating , any way ,You halfto figure out what your needs are . rumble or earth shaking ,

I am a klipsch fan and feel that thats the way you should go , RW-12 is the one , the RW-10 is ok , but the 12 fit my room better .

I heard the RW-12 against Polk and Velodyne and some others in their respective sizes and price breaks too. I found it to be very clean and powerful too. (Last years Klipsch event in Indy.) It is not the top of the line like the RSW or I am sure top of the line to what it was compared to also. It is, however, a very cool front firing sub with a front port...so you can put it in a entertainment center even. I think 80-90 % of people in mid sized rooms would LOVE this sub at this price break, and what you get for it too performance wise. The RW-12 was a pretty big jump over the 10 IMO too.

Unlike most companies that have a great name ONLY on high end stuff but lets be honest here, some of their other lower end stuff sucks!! (Velodyne, Polk, ETC ETC,) Klipsch taking this direction making sure as they word it "best in class" has jumped a leap forward and created great subs in a lot of different sizes and price breaks too.

Not everyone needs or can afford a $3,000. + sub that makes the plaster come off the walls!!

Would have loved to have gone the extra mile for the rsw line --- but the pocket book was too thin.

I too have a decent size room... 14-20 with a 19' cathedral ceiling.. the RW-12 really rocks...

As to the pricing... the company I work for gets an 'employee' discount at an electronics shop.

My suggestion is get to know your local Klipsch dealer real well and see what you can do.

Thanks to all the replies.