A Tribute to PWK on his 100th B-Day

WMcD

Guys,

I don't think much of that magazine (AudioXpress) and I wouldn't doubt Valerie bought the cover. The article I wrote on extreme-slope crossovers was accepted for publication by them. They proceeded to re-write it changing everything that sound like "it was found that" into "I found that" withOUT my permission. Technical writing isn't done like that! You can assume that every article in that magazine is that way becasue the editor REFUSES to publish anything written any other way! So.. I didn't let them publish it. It's on my web site for download instead.

BTW.. My respects to PWK and Valerie. The world need more like them!

Al K.

----------------

On 2/13/2004 11:41:34 AM Al Klappenberger wrote:

They proceeded to re-write it changing everything that sound like "it was found that" into "I found that" withOUT my permission. Technical writing isn't done like that! You can assume that every article in that magazine is that way becasue the editor REFUSES to publish anything written any other way! So.. I didn't let them publish it. It's on my web site for download instead.

Al K.
----------------

From the "Instructions for Authors" section of the AudioXpress website....

Tone

Many technical writers use a highly impersonal style of writing, relying heavily on the passive voice and avoiding all personal pronouns. We want you to write as though you were talking to your best friend. Use "I" rather than the editorial "we" and don't be afraid to address the reader as "you" instead of the objective "one." Avoid constructions such as "It was found that..." and instead tell us who found what and how: "I found that this design worked better because..."

Al K. had said as much in an e-mail to me.

It may be that that there was a mis communication between the editor and Al. Or different authors are treated diffently.

I looked at the articles by Nelson Pass. He describes things as doing this or that. Not that I find, this or that, or it is thought that this or that. So there is no requirement that it appear informal.

OTOH, Nelson is listed as a contributing editor.

My guess is that something went astray. Something in Al's style of writing offended the editor and it got edited in a way which is offensive to Al. Then, to quote Led Z., there was "communication breakdown, it's always the same . . . dump, dump, dump."

Al has some great ideas. And Al. I'd be happy to assist in editing. Not to be self serving . . . but I have edited two doctoral thesis for friends, written one law review article, and many briefs to the courts.

Your work is too valuable not to be published.

Gil

Gil and John,

There was no miss communication. I and friend both talked directly to AudioXpress about this. The point about "tone" is nonnegotable with them. They are on the wrong side of the fence on this. The policy was forced on them from higher up. The "tone" I used is the "tone" normally used in techncal writing. To do othewise comes off a having been writtne by a "fat-head". I did this, or I did that, is normall written as "this or that was done". Who did it is not the point!

Al K.

----------------

On 2/16/2004 10:02:54 PM Al Klappenberger wrote:

Gil and John,

There was no miss communication. I and friend both talked directly to AudioXpress about this. The point about "tone" is nonnegotable with them. They are on the wrong side of the fence on this. The policy was forced on them from higher up. The "tone" I used is the "tone" normally used in techncal writing. To do othewise comes off a having been writtne by a "fat-head". I did this, or I did that, is normall written as "this or that was done". Who did it is not the point!

Al K.
----------------

It is a hobbyist magazine, not a peer-reviewed, academic journal. The content of the articles is still quite good and I like it.

If you want the academic rigor of a peer-reviewed journal you can select any number of them (IEEE for example). After you put about 300 hours into the manuscript and, if it actually gets accepted without revisions (highly unlikely) it will get publish ~15 months after it is recieved, 7 people will read it, 3 from beginning to end. The other 4 that stop reading it realized that they did what you are describing 20 years earlier while you were still in high school learning algebra.

On the positive side, Richard Small is one of the reviewers in the loudspeaker technology section of the JAES. If you write something about loudspeakers, there is a good chance it will go to him for his critical review. Have at it!