Help! The 82 Heresy's are crackling.

Piranha

I bought a pair of 82 Heresy'sfor my garage system on Monday. I am bummed. Here I thought that I got a deal. Now I know why they were so eager to part with them. The tweeter and/or squawker in one of them is making a crackling sound at times, or no sound at all. I pulled the back off hoping that a connection was loose. They weren't. Are they blown? This sounds like it may be $$?

Please help me proceed from here to isolate and repair the problem. Thanks in advance for any and all help!

The fix is pretty easy if the tweet diaphragms are blown. There are a couple good threads on how to do it; you are looking at removing the blown ones and then soldering two captive wire posts. It sounds like a two beer job once you source the replacements. If you don't have the soldering iron, it will turn into a six pack job for a handy friend 2.gif

Since you have the backs off isolation is quite simple. Follow your speaker wires to the appropriate tap on the crossover and disconnect one at a time starting with the tweeter (the most likely culprit). It would be extremely rare that you have a mid problem and no problem with the tweet - the whole group of Mid compression drivers for heresy are very durable and hard to kill.

If it is the woofer I doubt you would describe it as a 'crackle', but you never know. Dave is right from all I have heard (from some trusted sources) the replacement of the tweet diaphram is fairly simple, not tons of money and tends to work quite well.

Every time I hear how easy it is to replace a diaphragm, I remember my experience of somehow blowing it. Uh, er, I must only be good at the hard jobs. Either that, or I assumed It was a 12-pack job (the memory is a bit foggy).

----------------

On 2/13/2004 9:25:59 AM fini wrote:

Every time I hear how easy it is to replace a diaphragm, I remember my experience of somehow blowing it. Uh, er, I must only be good at the hard jobs. Either that, or I assumed It was a 12-pack job (the memory is a bit foggy).
----------------

Fini,

Yes, a 12-pack job is for TWO tweeter diaphragm replacements! You just have to pace yourself for a one diaphragm replacement.

Pirhana,

If you need a new diaphragm, BEC on this forum is a good source.

----------------

On 2/13/2004 9:25:59 AM fini wrote:

----------------

I saw the term 'blowing it' and my mind wandered back to the wonderful economic times of the Clinton years....

Yeah - I disclaimed my statement by making it clear I had never replaced one myself. Of course I am very self aware - it could well take me thirty minutes to replace a wiper blade on the car. I still recall my mother's chastising me as a teenager:

"Henry, get away from that wheelbarrow, you know you don't know nothing about machinery."

One of my Heresy's started doing the same thing a few months ago. I just opened the back & disconnected all 3 drivers at the crossover, then re-connected one at a time to see which one it was. All 3 drivers played ok, so I hooked them all back up, & the problem was gone.

Obviously, it was a bad connection at the crossover, even though all connections were tight.

I had the same problem just the other day. I brought a new (to me) pr of speakers into the house and couldn't wai to hook them up. When I did, I noticed a "crackling" sound coming from one and began to touch connections and pull on wires but the noise wouldn't go away. After an hour of this foolishness, I got frustrated and finally decided step back and assume nothing.

I started the troubleshooting process by switching the wires from the amps and low and behold, the noise switched to the other speaker. I quickly traced the problem to a driver tube in one of the amps that had been jarred loose. I reseated the tube and I was back in business. I had jumped the gun and concluded too soon that it must be the new speakers since everything else worked fine the last time I had listened. The morale? Assume nothing! or A quick fix can often take much longer if you don't know what you're fixing.

Have Fun -Bryan

Piranha, if you do this, be extra careful not to crush the coil windings, they are delicate. Also, clean the groove in the magnet with a folded over piece of masking tape, the sticky part out. It will stick to and pick up little slivers of metal that the magnet has attracted. You want to make sure the groove is clean before you put the new coil back into the groove. There are two models available, one is just the diaphram and the other is the plastic holder with the diaphram already soldered in. It is way easier to replace the whole assembly than just the diaphram unless you have steady hands and know how to use a soldering gun. If you do the soldering, watch the connector and be careful to not get it too hot because it will melt the plastic and slide out of place. Any questions, ask someone that knows, I am just making most of this up.