Where to start?

Treasure_Diver

Dude, you have to understand Klipsch isn't in the market of selling parts for homemade projects. Also be aware that Klipsch is known for the horns and not really their woofers. That being said, you can spend $300 (or less) and get four very nice 8" drivers by looking elsewhere. I suggest you take a look at Audax, Vifa, Peerless, and Focal drivers at www.partsexpress.com . Also checkout www.madisounds.com for quality speaker parts.

Also, if woofers aren't "where it's at" for sound quality( and I can't argue otherwise), then would it be advantageous for me to maybe pop in some JBL S38II's? They seem to be JBL's premium (8")woofer and JBL has no problem selling them to me. If the sound is really in the horns and tweeters, then maybe I should look for a sub-premium woofer. The Advent Hertitage speakers I have(had) sounded quite nice (I know, by who's standards?) until the woofers keeled over. I always suspected it was the hardwood cabinets, but if sound is mostly in the smaller components, then i'm barking up the wrong tree aren't I?

TD

I'm not familiar with all the models of drivers from JBL but I do know that if you want woofers from them that are of major higher quality than look at drivers from the 60's through early 80's era. Most of their line today is really disappointing.

For instance, I have a pair JBL L300's from about 1971-72. The mids and tweeters are original but the woofers are Altec 411A's and even those need to be re-coned every ten years or so.