RF-7 crossovers (upgraded)

Deang

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like going from Sara Lee cheesecake to homemade cheesecake.

Hell, I don't know. I haven't heard a stock set of RF-7s in two years. I am going to wire up the stock boards to the RF-7s though and compare. I really need to do that. I'm sure George will chime in tomorrow with his impressions -- good or bad.

I actually had a nightmare last night that the crossovers didn't work, and old George was pissed. Man, am I getting paranoid or what?9.gif

I haven't done any "Heritage". As far as I'm concerned, anyone using big Heritage should be running ALKs. I know Al isn't doing the Cornwall ALKs anymore, and I need to have a little chat with him about that. I'm hoping he'll let me build them for people. I know the stock Type B is highly preferred, and I could easily build those from scratch using Jensen PIOs or Thetas.

The only vintage crossovers I have done so far are a pair for some Forte II's. That customer can't listen however because his amp is sitting on Craig's bench, which is too bad -- because now I can't blame the amp if the sound sucks. 9.gif

I'm getting ready to do some KG 5.5's -- should be fun.

I'm looking for brave souls willing to fork over their KLFs and Chorus'.

I was just informed yesterday by Audience and Reliable Capacitor that I will be getting OEM pricing on both the Auricap and AudioCap PPT Thetas. I'm passing these savings on to anyone interested in doing this kind of thing. For the sane and somewhat budget conscious -- the Auricap is very hard to beat. I was going to give the Sonicaps a whirl as the standard upgrade option, but Jeff Glowacki of Sonic Craft has some big holes in that product line -- basically some very critical values I need for doing most of these.

I will be building a set of these on OEM boards for the RF-7 to take to Indy this year. Hopefully, Trey Cannon will let me load them up so everyone can have a listen.

m00n -- It's not very hard at all since I do everything on the original boards and terminal cups. You just unscrew them off the back, pull the wires off the drivers, and send to me. I send them back, you attach the wires, screw the terminal cups back on to the back of the speaker -- and you're off and running. It probably takes less than 10 minutes to get going again.

You may have missed the post Erfan, but the other day I was granted OEM pricing by Audience (Auricaps) and RelCap (Thetas, and MultiCaps). I don't have to order the parts from vendors anymore. I have decided to pass the savings on to anyone else wanting to do this. Incidently, Audience has that 2.7 value in the Auricap for the KGs. Considering how much you like the sound of the RF-7s, maybe we should stick with the Auricap -- what do you think?

----------------

On 2/20/2004 9:50:11 AM DeanG wrote:

You may have missed the post Erfan, but the other day I was granted OEM pricing by Audience (Auricaps) and RelCap (Thetas, and MultiCaps). I don't have to order the parts from vendors anymore. I have decided to pass the savings on to anyone else wanting to do this. Incidently, Audience has that 2.7 value in the Auricap for the KGs. Considering how much you like the sound of the RF-7s, maybe we should stick with the Auricap -- what do you think?

----------------

Sure Dean, stick with the Auricaps on the KG crossovers that are coming to yeah Wednesday, also please put in some nice 16 gauge in the wiring as well, i cant wait to hear those bad boys. The thing ive noticed about the KG's is that they have deeper bass than my RF-7's but the treble is not as clean and detailed, like on certains violins parts or voices the RF's are just alot more detailed on the treble and dont take as much on the volume dial to get loud, im hoping with this crossover mod that i can add some detail and treble to the KG's, but there bass is amazing for sure and seems to go deeper than my RF-7's.

KGs have a passive radiator like the Forte IIs and Chorus IIs, yes?

If not running the RSW-15 with them, the RF-7s sound best in corners, pulled out about 8" -- at least that's what I found over here. Once tucked away into the corners, the bass of the RF-7 can be astounding, -- and in smaller environments -- begins to approach the dynamics of the ... nah, I won't say it. 2.gif

----------------

On 2/20/2004 11:17:24 AM DeanG wrote:

KGs have a passive radiator like the Forte IIs and Chorus IIs, yes?

If not running the RSW-15 with them, the RF-7s sound best in corners, pulled out about 8" -- at least that's what I found over here. Once tucked away into the corners, the bass of the RF-7 can be astounding, -- and in smaller environments -- begins to approach the dynamics of the ... nah, I won't say it.
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">

----------------

Well, the diffrence seems to be that the KG has only one opening in the front of the speaker for the woofers and the RF-7 has two big ports in the back, so would that make a diffrence in bass response??

----------------

On 2/20/2004 9:30:54 AM DeanG wrote:

My spreadsheet is at work -- I think it's $376.20, which includes return shipping.

----------------

I'm pretty clueless on this subject matter, but quite intrigued about improving my RF-7s. Is this price per speaker or for a pair of RF-7s?

Dean,

Can you please explain to me the diffrences between the specs on the KG 5.5 and the RF-7 and what the numbers mean for sound diffrences. And what will your crossover mods do to change the specs for the KG speakers?

KG 5.5 Specs:

BANDWIDTH: 34 - 20 kHz ± 3 dB,

SENSITIVITY: 98 dB SPL @ 1 Watt/1 Meter

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 1600 Hz

RF-7 Specs:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:

32Hz-20kHz ±3dB

SENSITIVITY:

102dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter

HF CROSSOVER:

2200Hz

Mark,

Let's take this offline. You can email me at dgwescott@sbcglobal.net, or call me at 937.299.6324. But, yes, the crossover is attached to the terminal cups that also have the binding posts, and my mods don't impact the birwing capability.

115_medium.jpg

Well, the frequency responses are close, but the cabinets don't have the same internal volume, the drivers are different, and the KGs cross over lower. These things combined are bound to change up the signature in the bass quite a bit. I suspect the RF7s have a tighter, faster sound with more attack, and the KGs probably sound 'fuller' or 'fatter' in the bottom.

----------------

On 2/20/2004 1:24:47 PM DeanG wrote:

Well, the frequency responses are close, but the cabinets don't have the same internal volume, the drivers are different, and the KGs cross over lower. These things combined are bound to change up the signature in the bass quite a bit. I suspect the RF7s have a tighter, faster sound with more attack, and the KGs probably sound 'fuller' or 'fatter' in the bottom.

----------------

That is exactly what im experiencing, the RF-7's are crisper and faster and the KG's have a slower thicker bass response and boomier.