Which Denon DVD?

tigerwoodKhorns

I want to purchase a DVD player to be used for home theater and to play CD's on a tube amp. I am debating over the 2200 and the 2900. Is the 2900 worth the extra money? I am also considering buying an older unit (like last years model) on ebay. The rationale is that eventually movies will be in HDTV format and I will need a new DVD player anyway. Which way do I go?

Thanks,

Chris

ARGH!

That's tough, dude. We're less than 6 months from seeing Blu-ray players in force. Can you hold out for a little while as Denon gets their offering together? That's what I'd do. Blu-Ray is the HD-DVD format, and every Blu-ray player I've seen so far also has the upsampling capabilities (480i, the native DVD resolution, to 720p or 1080i HD spec) so your existing DVD collection will look great on them as well!

The 2200 & 2900 share the same Silicon Image de-interlacer, so video wise they are similar. The main difference between the two is the 2900's custom Burr-Brown 1790 DAC which yield "slightly" better audio quality. The 2900 has discrete power supplies and offers better build quality. The big question seems to be is the 2900 worth the extra $400.00 over the 2200. Only your ears and wallet can decide, so try to demo them both if possible. It is probably not worth the extra cash for the 2900 unless you plan on doing a lot of critical listening w/ hi res formats. Personally I could not justify the price difference so I spent the money I saved on a nice Denon HDCD Changer and some SACD/DVDA discs.

2 replies here.

1. If HD DVD players are comming out in 6 months, can amyone reccomenrd a cheap Panasonic unit to use in the mean time? (preferable something that can be had on ebay)

2. The 2900 has better DAC's than the 2200. Can I run a digital audio signal to my receiver and then use the receiver to decode it. I have a Denon 5800 and feel like I should not have to pay for good DAC's two times when the receiver was so expensive.

----------------

On 2/16/2004 9:25:50 PM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

If HD DVD players are comming out in 6 months, can amyone reccomenrd a cheap Panasonic unit to use in the mean time? (preferable something that can be had on ebay)

-----------------

I think you're misunderstanding me.

The HD DVD players are already out - just not by everyone yet. Samsung, Sony, and a few other F.E. manufacturers already have blu-ray players out - but the media hasn't hit yet.

-----------------

I think you're misunderstanding me.

The HD DVD players are already out - just not by everyone yet. Samsung, Sony, and a few other F.E. manufacturers already have blu-ray players out - but the media hasn't hit yet.

----------------

What are Sony model numbers? Has anyone used them yet?

Thanks,

Chris

See, that's what I get for listening to the rumourmill. Sony doesn't have a standalone Blu-Ray yet - only PC-based burners. Samsung is the only company that I can definitely say has an HD DVD player out.

One of the big issues with the HD DVD format that delayed its release for so long was that the DVD consortium was split for a good long time about which version of the blue laser technology they wished to use. Toshiba and Samsung pushed long and hard, and finally won out with a backward-compatible version that could read traditional DVD's as well as the new media.

Meanwhile, we're just waiting for the respective manufacturers to put their offerings out.

In terms of a cheap Panasonic, hell - go to BB or CC and pick one up for $100. They're everywhere.

----------------

On 2/16/2004 9:25:50 PM tigerwoodKhorns wrote:

2. The 2900 has better DAC's than the 2200. Can I run a digital audio signal to my receiver and then use the receiver to decode it. I have a Denon 5800 and feel like I should not have to pay for good DAC's two times when the receiver was so expensive.

----------------

SACD & DVDA is passed thru the analog outputs only; you cannot use digital. However for video yes you can use optical or coax to pass the signal and let your receivers DACs do the work.

----------------

On 2/17/2004 12:00:24 AM device manager wrote:

SACD & DVDA is passed thru the analog outputs only; you cannot use digital. However for video yes you can use optical or coax to pass the signal and let your receivers DACs do the work.

----------------

Indeed. Here's hoping the receiver manufacturers take the hint and pick up on the Crystal Audio single-chip DVD-A and SA-CD converter solution for the '05 model year!

----------------

See, that's what I get for listening to the rumourmill. Sony doesn't have a standalone Blu-Ray yet - only PC-based burners. Samsung is the only company that I can definitely say has an HD DVD player out.

----------------

Only Samsung player I'm aware of upconverts. THere are no HD-DVD players on the market yet as far as I know ... otherwise I think we'd be hearing about new HD-DVD tiltles ....

----------------

On 2/17/2004 7:26:38 PM Grand11 wrote:

Only Samsung player I'm aware of upconverts. THere are no HD-DVD players on the market yet as far as I know ... otherwise I think we'd be hearing about new HD-DVD tiltles ....

----------------

OY!

I've seen the PC burner systems. I know the tech is available. Wonder why it's taking so long to do a simple player...